Copart

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014
2.8

Jay Adair

Pros
  • It's your average 8-5 job but yeah you do overtime during the busy season just like any employee would (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits and diverse working conditions, and job security (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is absolutely clueless about how to successfully run a used car purchasing program (in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes there are long hours, but that's to be expected in just about any job (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging but rewarding place to be employed.

I have been working at Copart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced. Good hours, flexible employees

Cons

Can't please or make everybody happy

More communication with employees regarding job performance be it positive or negative.

Fast paced, stay on your toes

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Copart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of new initiatives.
    They are willing to fund the new initiatives.
    Treated with respect.
    Good place to earn a living

Cons

Never enough time as we are juggling numerous programs at once ( Can be a plus )

Marketing and Design should give us the assets and look and feel, then get out of the way and let engineering choose the platform and technologies to complete that vsision.

Questionable management

Former Employee - Contractor in Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Fairfield, CA

I worked at Copart as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great type of services with good market share and growing internationally

Cons

Incestuous management team has little experience in moving company forward

Bring in more experienced management to create a more strategic view of business and create a more progressive employee benefits package to retain quality resources.

DO NOT WORK HERE!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at Copart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Schedule is nice Monday-Friday 8-5.

Cons

Management will lie to you about promotions, they don't have management reviews very often so you never know if you're meeting expectations, training is AWFUL and you will be told 3 different ways on how to do something by 3 different people, they hire outside of the company for promotions, the place is filthy. The office I worked in had a heating and air conditioning system that didn't even work. We had rats that would die upstairs and stink up the whole building.

Listen to your employees, have one on one time with them, don't lie or mislead them! Clean the office and make it a comfortable working environment.

May 13, 2014Vice President Human Resources

As a company we offer all employees an annual performance review so that they know how they're doing and so that together the manager and the employee can chart out both professional and personal ... More

A positive working environment that encourages growth

Current Employee - Leadership Development Program
    Current Employee - Leadership Development Program

I have been working at Copart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My experience with Copart has been great. No day is the same and the opportunities to take on new tasks, while learning new things is endless. From the beginning during the interview process, Copart was thorough in providing answers to any question I had, while making sure the job was something you definitely had interest in. Once I was offered and accepted the job, I spent four weeks in Dallas training. The instructors were well read and always offered additional help if needed. The class offered a hands on approach that made the four weeks fly by. We had approximately fifteen students in the class and everyone was supportive to each other while learning in a collaborative environment. This was a major plus seeing the curriculum was new to all of us. Great people and I still stay in touch with many of them. I've since been assigned to a mentor yard and am nearing completion of this phase. Soon, I will begin to explore possibilities of where I'd like to go next as an Assistant General Manage. Its pretty exciting. The company gives you two weeks vacation, accrued once you've completed your first year and sick days as well. Overtime can be a part of the job, however, as I near completion of my first year, I can say most weekends I've had to myself. I think if you have the right attitude, a willingness to learn and relish the opportunity to take on new challenges, than Copart offers a great career path.

Cons

My experience has been positive, however, if there was one thing I'd consider as a "con", I'd like to see more communication between the trainee and management regarding progress throughout the training.

Apr 14, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for your positive review--please do let us know if you see things you feel could be improved upon. Our employees play an important role in identifying and implementing changes to better the ... More

Not great. Very hectic and unorganized group.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Copart as a contractor

Pros

You won't be bored. Very busy.

Cons

Unorganized; chaotic; no clear directions.

Get it together.

Apr 14, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for your review--we certainly do have a fast-paced workplace. I noticed you indicated you were currently working with us as a contractor and I would be very interested in meeting to discuss ... More

Interesting industry & Managament

I worked at Copart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great founding story. opportunities if you are a hardworker, good stepping stone to launch your career in management if you work it right.

Cons

pay is very average, benefits are average, leadership is sketchy at times.

Remember your success was built on the backs of your employees, listen to and value your people in the field.

Apr 1, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for your review--I appreciate your comments about Copart having opportunities for hard workers and our being a place to begin your career in management. I also noticed you indicated that you ... More

Great Opportunity, If You Appreciate It

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Copart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture of change and growth will either make you a strong and determined leader, or burnt out; the choice is yours.

Associate involvement is huge.

You can make a difference, just look up the stories of the founders and executives.

Cons

HR is inept.

It is what you make it, so if you are lazy, bitter, or negative; you will fail.

Continue to work hard on what you do. Thank you for the opportunity.

Copart doesn't sugar coat

Current Employee - Operations Manager Trainee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Manager Trainee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Copart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really like working for Copart. I have been here for almost a year now and nothing has been a surprise to me. From the first conversation I had with a Copart recruit, they were very honest about the job. It's your average 8-5 job but yeah you do overtime during the busy season just like any employee would. The people I work with daily are good people they work hard. Employees get stressed and sometimes frustrated but that's any job and especially when a company such as us is growing.

This job is a job you want when you want hard working employees, when you want a challenge, and when you want to embrace change.

Cons

Copart can be challenging because you have to be capable of wearing more than one hat. You don't just have one basic client/ customer. At Copart you have to please your sellers and your buyers. It can be stressful if you let it be. You have to enjoy what your doing because it will show through the quality of work your doing.

Continue to listen to the employees.

A Great Place to Grow

Current Employee - General Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Copart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good basic business training - I was brought in as a management trainee and given an opportunity to learn about every aspect of business in my training.

Great growth opportunities - The company has and continues to grow; and Copart management have shown a commitment to promote deserving candidates from within.

An empowered sense of ownership - One of the greatest things about being a manager at Copart is the sense of ownership in running my own facility. If you like to tackle new challenges daily, then this is a good place to be.

The company is financially sound and continues to grow, so I would say there are very few places to pursue a career at this point.

Cons

The job can be challenging and is not definitely not for the timid.

There could be improved communication and interaction between Corporate and the field to give employees a greater sense of belonging.