Copper Mountain

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014
3.9

John Cumming

All around great mountain.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Copper Mountain, CO

I have been working at Copper Mountain full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This mountain is all about the mountain. They have not forgotten how and why they are in business.

Cons

Not much growth, have to be in the right place at the right time. It could take years to get a full time year round position and grow.

Need to step it up with the times. Yes things work, but they can always work better. Listen to your whole team for ideas not just the good ole boys.

Why Copper Rocks More Than The Rocky Mountains

Former Employee - Lead Lift Operator in Copper Mountain, CO
    Former Employee - Lead Lift Operator in Copper Mountain, CO

I worked at Copper Mountain full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great snow, awesome trails with a variety of difficulty (easy green to double black diamonds), fantastic lift operators, amazing food, glorious hotels to stay in. THIS IS THE EPITOME OF AWESOMENESS! Greatness was instilled in me by working for this company before heading off to college. The company throws employee parties, and are sponsered by Coors and Pizza Hut; lots of beer, lots of pizza! This company is who I emulate in my company, by which I mean this company taught me a very important lesson...happy employees produce better and result in higher quality results.

Cons

Traveling to work; the freemont pass, and the highway from frisco/ dillion area to Copper can be a terror to drive during the winter, especially during white-out blizzards. Tourists are friggin idiots, and will do stupid things like walking across a ''Frozen" creek in the midst of spring and wonder why they fell through the ice and literally told me that they were going to sue Copper for that happening, and I responded with "Wait...you are suing a company because you are too stupid to realize that ice melts in spring and its never good to go walking across frozen bodies of water, even in the height of coldness of February.

Keep on Keepin On; Just remember, lifes a garden...dig it!

Enjoyed it for one season at the end of college

Former Employee - Lift Tickets/West Village Gear Check in Copper Mountain, CO
    Former Employee - Lift Tickets/West Village Gear Check in Copper Mountain, CO

I worked at Copper Mountain full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free pass, decent employee accommodations, fun place to work, management is very competent, everyone is nice and easy to work with. I spent my last term of college writing a thesis and working on the mountain and I had a wonderful time. I was not able to return for more seasons, but it was a fun gig for an in-between-school-and-real-life working vacation. My supervisor was incredible - one of the best I've had. Very supportive and knowledgeable,

Cons

Very little pay, not much incentive to return. Great place to work if money isn't a huge issue for you.

Maybe put more emphasis on creating career positions for talented individuals who are not working the main customer service desks.

Great work place!

Former Employee - Seasonal Employee in Copper Mountain, CO
    Former Employee - Seasonal Employee in Copper Mountain, CO

I worked at Copper Mountain full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Happy co-workers and helpful managers.

Cons

Rooming options are slim and expensive. Better living options would be great.

Great way to snowboard for a living

Former Employee - Lift Operator
    Former Employee - Lift Operator

I worked at Copper Mountain full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-amazing views while at the office. Not many jobs allow you to work outside and on top of a mountain.
    -everyone is in the same mindset to ski/snowboard as much as possible

Cons

-Making $10 gets old after a while but you're not choosing this job for the salary. The work/life balance makes up for it. Free ski pass is pretty great as well.

Allow for more internal development of lower level employees such as lift operators or kitchen staff that want to stay at copper but develop their careers.

UI loved It!

I worked at Copper Mountain full-time

Pros

I skied everyday. and made some of the best friends ever.

Cons

It is hard to live in the area on what they pay.

Good one season experience, Copper needs to step up to get returners though.

I have been working at Copper Mountain

Pros

Managers are good at what they do. The effort is there to build a strong sense of employee community/ team effort. Really great areas to teach on.

Cons

Compensation is just not up to par with the surrounding resorts for how anal management is when it comes to getting the customer experience down. There really is not the same expectation to tip for what customers are getting compared to comparable resorts.

Base pay is fine but you really need to throw some bonuses in or metrics to stack instructors up against each other.

Fun place to work and enjoy the mountain lifestyle.

Current Employee - Reservations Supervisor in Copper Mountain, CO
    Current Employee - Reservations Supervisor in Copper Mountain, CO

I have been working at Copper Mountain full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free season pass. A lot of flexibility with your schedule.

Cons

Felt like babysitting. This isn't something you can do long term. Too much disconnect between different departments so guests often get conflicting info.

Good culture, fun people, but salaries leave something to be desired.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Copper Mountain, CO

I have been working at Copper Mountain full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to ski free at 17 mountains! Denver is only 1 hour and 30 minutes away but you live in the wild outdoors. The summers are amazing.

Cons

Pay is low though it is current with industry standards. Cost of living is high in the area. Winters do not end until the end of May.

Lift Operator for one winter

Former Employee - Lift Operator in Copper Mountain, CO
    Former Employee - Lift Operator in Copper Mountain, CO

I worked at Copper Mountain full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ski free at all non vail resorts in colorado, cheap housing, free meals. Best management I have ever worked for. Co Workers were awesome everyone gets along great during work and everyone parties togethers after.

Cons

Few opportunities for job advancement due to low turnover rate among supervisors and management.