Coppin State University

Dr. Reginald S. Avery

Good Small School / Rough Location

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Coppin State University as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small Class Sizes, Advanced Technology (MINITAB available, recording pens, lecture recording delivered directly to blackboard)

Cons

Lower end of salary compared to most Maryland area universities and community colleges, Shootings on campus - two disrupted two classes, Car thefts, Had to park off campus

Management was very supportive, but pay is too low and get adjuncts the ability to park on campus again. Other than that, they need to keep doing what they are doing. I felt no pressure/exclusion from faculty. If I had questions, they were very helpful. They also identified methods for encouraging their student body to succeed.

School of Business

Former Employee - Receptionist in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Coppin State University as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Exceptional Co-workers and worked with my class schedule. Excellent pay for a college student. Amazing working environment and proper training.

Cons

Disorganized with files and finances. Majority of the people I worked with quit now.

I am a full-time student, so working here is a definite plus!

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Coppin State University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I love encouraging students to reach for the top!

Cons

All students are not the same. Unfortunately, some are satisfied with being the status-quo.

Accountability...Accountability...Accountability!

work study

I have been working at Coppin State University as a contractor

Pros

flexiblity, people are nice and kind

Cons

pay, no growth in positions, development

Go somewhere else, if you have the choice

I have been working at Coppin State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you have no other choice, it is better than no job at all. And, based upon other remarks, your experience really depends EXACTLY where you work and with whom. Maybe you'll get lucky. I have met several hard-working, committed individuals, but they are over shadowed by a non-supportive, top-down leadership style. Avery is no longer President.

Cons

My experience has been awful. it has been disorganized and is in disarray. Lacks competent leadership.

The problems begin with management. There is a top down, very controlling leadership style which squashes innovation and change unless it comes from the top. Management fails to exploit much of the latent talent at this institution.

Overall I enjoyed working at Coppin State University.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Coppin State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were great. Most people are held accountable, which means you won't be doing much work for someone else. Lack of abundant staff gave the opportunity to gain experience in different areas.

Cons

Understaffed, so there was a lot of work. Manageable though. Very little room for promotion or raises - very unlikely.

You will keep more staff if you are able to offer them higher salaries or raises. Even something as simple as benefits and holidays with pay can increase the term of an employee.

RUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Coppin State University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Anyone can get hired here. In fact, most of the faculty are former students

Cons

You will waste your time. This school is a wasteland. I wasted 5 years of my academic career after finishing my PhD from a top Ivy League school, I believed in the mission and the goals but he environment is toxic. The leadership is poor. The pay is below livable. And to make matters worse, its in a very dangerous part of Baltimore. Dont waste your time, your sacrifices will not be appreciated.

Fire everyone and start over.

Friendly environment where the opportunity to learn and grow is always right in front of you.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Coppin State University

Pros

Coppin State University is a diverse environment where people have the freedom to express themselves and use their creativity to improve their departments. There is always someone there to mentor you- whether you are a student or a staff member. There are all kinds of activities happening. : job fairs, social groups, art and dance showcases, athletic competitions, community forums, university sponsored parties, research projects, charity and volunteer services and so much more. Coppin State University is the place where a person can come and start a new organization and get support from students and colleagues in pursuing a worthwhile cause.

Cons

Coppin State University has low retention and graduation rate. There is a lot of discussion on why this is the case, but there has not yet been an effective solution put in place to increase these low rates.

Make more considerations for Contractual employees such as an option for healthcare insurance and State or Federal bonus opportunities, please.

Cons outweigh the Pros

I worked at Coppin State University

Pros

lots of opportunities to get involved in different activities. Coppin is a warm and friendly (and dysfunctional) family.

Cons

incompetence in senior administration; lots of finger pointing over retention problems, no accountability; low morale on campus.

stop expanding the administration, do not create any more VP positions; increase the number of full-time faculty hired; implement shared governance. Listen to students and implement their suggestions -- especially on-campus daycare.

It's like working with family.

I worked at Coppin State University

Pros

Great students and lots of opportunities to bond with them and aid them in achieving their goals. I had the best co-workers anyone could ever ask for. Because it's a small institution, you get to wear multiple hats that will prepare you as you transition outside of Coppin. Beautiful campus.

Cons

Lots of changes in the administration which caused instability. Due to the small size, there were not opportunities for growth/promotion.

Find ways to recognize the hard work and committment of your staff.

Coppin State University Photos