CorVel
www.corvel.com Irvine, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

CorVel Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014
CorVel – Rancho Cucamonga – “The new Rancho Cucamonga office”

CorVel Chairman and CEO Gordon Clemons

Gordon Clemons

Pros:
  • "I was given the opportunity to work from home which allowed for me to juggle my personal and work life adequately"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Flexibility in work schedule and getting time off"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very poor benefits and below market pay"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Limited to no training and terrible staff"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

If you value your time and family, then Corvel is NOT the place to be.

Fear Losing Job Rather Not Disclose (Current Employee)

I have been working at CorVel full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOffices adorned with commissioned artwork and artificial foliage.

ConsPay not commensurate with job skills/talents. Emphasis on making profit without consideration for quality of life. Highly unpleasant work environment that is based on fear of termination. No staff support. Ineffective HR department. No room for vertical promotion. Performance evaluation inconsequential to salary increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare your profits with those who actually perform the work. Follow the Golden Rule. Invest in the staff. Be objective when making decisions and treat all staff fairly.

Vocational Case Manager

Vocational Case Manager (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at CorVel full-time for more than 5 years

Proswork from home, make own schedule, bonus plan, great administrative staff, several contracts with huge employers so there is plenty or work which is great for the bonus plan

ConsVocational management is weak at best, there is little to no support from management, little room for advancement as they often do not promote from within, poor benefits program

Good learning opportunity, no advancement potential

BSA (Current Employee)

I have been working at CorVel full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOpportunity for training, and personal growth. Small teams, so you are cross trained and interact with many aspects of programs and different departments.

ConsTerrible, almost non-existent benefits. No growth potential. Senior Management focuses on sales force, and favorites. Other departments are left to struggle understaffed and unrewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide clear career path opportunities. Recognize all employees contribute to your success, and reward them. It used to be a fun place to work, and great people are still there - realize this, and treat them with respect before they take their skills and experience elsewhere.

Very Disappointing Company.

I have been working at CorVel

ProsThe reason you would want work at CorVel is if you enjoy working with external customers and providing excellent customer service.

ConsExtremely poor benefits. Management is not consistent and the HR department does a very poor job as an employee advocate. Employees are an asset to any company and should be treated as such. Management in Dublin is an extremely poor representative of CorVel's core values that they wish to represent to the public.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are an asset to your company and should be treated as such. They are generally hard working loyal individuals with families and deserve to be treated with respect. Perhaps management should take a long look at how the employees are treated in Ohio.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not Employee Friendly

Workers; Compensation Claims Management (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CorVel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNone that come to mind.

ConsTerrible benefits, especially medical. That is extremely funny considering their primary business is medical managed care. Each year the premium increases for the one & only plan offered (PPO) as do the in-network and out-of-network deductibles. Corvel has a self-insured medical plan and premiums are based on your health. There are three tiers of premiums; after your biometrics screening you will know how high your premium will be. Also, each year another way of acknowledging good employees is discontinued or made more difficult to obtain.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to form positive relationships with your employees, not fear-based.

It was not what I had hoped for

Registered Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee)
Davenport, IA

I have been working at CorVel full-time for more than a year

ProsGood technology; need more training

ConsBiased towards certain employees; not enough mentoring for new employees; marketing department is useless

Advice to Senior ManagementGet involved and learn compassion for your ALL your employees

The sales team run the company

Claims Specialist (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at CorVel full-time for more than a year

ProsPlay favorites in moving up

ConsPoor benefits to their employees

Terrible Company

Billining Department (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at CorVel full-time for more than a year

ProsEasy work to do, the other employees in my department were nice. Other than that I have nothing.

ConsPoor management, treat all the employees like dirt, very unprofessional. Everyone works under fear of losing their job at any moment there is no positive reinforcement. It is a constant place of negativity. I personally know people who upon putting in their two weeks were talked about by management to other employees in a very poor manner that was undeserving of the person who was simply moving on and doing the right thing by giving their two weeks. Also they had mandatory overtime all the time and the insurance is so expensive most employees could not even afford to have it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect no one deserves to be belittled. Try to create a more positive working environment.

Systems Admin

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at CorVel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsUsed to have a good IT budget

Conspay, benifits, work life balance

Low pay, poor benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at CorVel full-time

Prosquiet environment, good computer program

Consunrealistic quotas, unpaid overtime, low morale

Worked for CorVel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CorVel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CorVel CEO Gordon Clemons . All 54 reviews posted anonymously by CorVel employees.