CorVel Reviews

POOR MANAGEMENT

Former Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CorVel

Pros

I was allowed to attend local seminars on a regular basis and able to meet my requirements for certification and licensure. My immediate supervisor was great, but she was very opinionated of other supervisors and staff which was very unprofessional.

Cons

We lost a huge client, yet no word came out from leadership for weeks and months. No one knew from day to day what was to become of the staff, and who would be retained or cut loose. Everyone was expected to work as hard as possible before the client left with no separation package or benefit to do so. Really had no choice but to do what you had to, because if you were laid off, then you could claim unemployment, so you didn't want to get fired a few days before the client work left.
    Turnover was huge, as staff left left and right causing undue hardship on the ones who had to do the work.
    No raises or bonuses, no annual review.
    Don't get sick after you put in your resignation, company policy says can not use any of that after you resign.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people, pay them a reasonable wage, and respect your clients.

Very Poor Management - Overland Park, Ks

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at CorVel

Pros

I've thought long and hard about this and cannot come up with 20 words of anything positive at all! Like one of the other reviews said: RUN!

Cons

Greedy Managers, only care about their huge bonuses. employees not recognized or treated fairly. Lack of communication, everything is heard through rumor. No training, learn on your own through remote training. No consistency throughout company about procedures. The Company is divided into regions, which makes the regions complete with each other to reap the rewards, very cut-throat. Managers receive HUGE bonuses, trips, etc. They will do anything to make sure they get the most. Customers are continually overbilled, Corvel adds time onto their invoices that Case Managers did not bill for. Can you say RIP off! No teamwork. Benefits are not good, health insurance is very high. Salaried employees work 50 - 70hrs per week, while 'managers put in less than 40hrs and some hourly employees 'cheat the clock' and don't even work 40 hrs a week.. Employee retention is very low. Employees are afraid to speak up, since those that do are soon gone!

Advice to Management

Remove incompetent, un-ethical, greedy managers, hire good ones! Work to retain good employees. Provide better benefits, STOP overbilling customers, retain good employees, promote teamwork, provide good training. Reward all good employees with bonuses, holiday parties, and perks.

No human resources and health insurance is pitiful

I have been working at CorVel

Pros

None, management is poor from the top down

Cons

Micro managing incompetent managers, no human resource department on site (they outsource it) they claim record setting profits yet give raises that do not cover increase in health insurance and the insurance they have is one of the worst in the industry.

Advice to Management

Employees deserve an HR department and a decent health plan, they deserve competent management and at least cost of living raises.

Medical Review Nurse

Former Employee - RN Medical Reviewer in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - RN Medical Reviewer in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at CorVel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was allowed to work from home after training.

Cons

Poor management. Too many "meetings" and not enough time working. Gossiping among themselves and having "favorites". Favorites get to select their days off, take off early, choose the files they wish to work on. Everyone else gets all the leftovers. No flexibliity, poor pay, and management tries to bully you into working overtime with no monetary compensation.

Advice to Management

Be fair to everyone. Be an example to your employees and listen to them when they come to you with a legitimate problem. Do something to retain your employees and start by boosting morale. People that work here are daily threatened that they will be fired.

Would not recommend

I have been working at CorVel

Pros

Flexible work schedule as far as hours

Cons

The highest insurance premiums of any employer in the industry. Low company morale and no communication.

Advice to Management

Definitely would not recommend a career at Corvel. I do not have the tools or support to do my job well. Health insurance premiums are very high for a healthcare organization. Benefits are well behind industry standard. Supervisors spend a lot of time gossiping and information is shared by rumor. There is no feedback or assistance with the two outdated operating systems. Management seems to have little concern for employee morale or points of view. Employees feel invisible and afraid to speak up. Do not expect any community involvement or teambuilding of any sort. Bad hiring decisions and poor employee retention have increased the burden and workload on some outstanding employees who are being overlooked.

7. Good support from management.

I have been working at CorVel

Pros

Working from home, not in an office.

Cons

Pay could be better.

Advice to Management

Pay could be beter.

Anonymous

I have been working at CorVel

Pros

Allows you to make up time, but then again so do most companies.

Cons

I have never worked for a company disrespects it employees so much. No employee appreciation or employee incentive programs at all. No Christmas Party. Did not even close 5 minutes early on Christmas Eve. No option for a Flex Schedule. Computer program for claims (MedCheck) is very outdated and not very user friendly.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Your employees are your lifeline of the business. Give us some incentives, what harm is leaving a couple hours early on Major Holidays, everyone else does. What about a yearly employee appreciation day. Stop being so damn greedy. If I could go below a 1, I would.

It's a job

I have been working at CorVel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job, and as long as you do it, you feel pretty secure.

Cons

Low pay, low raises that don't even cover the increasing cost of their health insurance. They offer benefits, but the employee cost is so high that it's really hard to swing. So in essence one makes less every year, even with the "raises". And because the medical insurance is so high and doesn't even kick in until you're forked over $1300 One can't really afford to go to the doctor. I only go if it's an emergency. They're getting rid of work from home and employee benefits are few and far between. Cost cutting is everywhere due to the "bad" economy, and then one hears about the record breaking profits every quarter.

Advice to Management

The good ones leave or are let go and the incompetent ones remain.

Your hired! 40hr/week turns into 80/week job.

Former Employee - Nurse Case Manager
    Former Employee - Nurse Case Manager

I worked at CorVel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Long history of managed care.

Cons

WAS great place with GREAT management until 5 years ago. Then had a CEO change everything to "maximize" the billing. They removed all perks (paid luncheons, no Christmas, no good raises, no incentives) and bonus is 3 month rolling (if you take a vacation-you start over). Would not hire additional help to cover high end times when other CM's quit. FCM files could not get the attention unless you worked till midnight - in which they demanded. Corvel used to be a great place to work...and now it is all about continued harassment to "capture billing" for anything in which resulted in a loss of several accounts. GREED doesn't pay. To use the RN's for just mere profit and NOT allow us to be RN's is a disgrace. Good assessment and development of trust with injured workers are vital to get the IW back to work. Corvel demands you "bill" during these times instead of developing the relationship and obtain accurate assessments - which results in "angry, unhappy and untrusting IW. If you have DOL files, they will take half your income while you do all the work. This affects the whole outcome. I would not ever consider working for this company, the bridge was burned with them. A house divided will fall and Corvel is doing it. Check out all the lawsuits online against them, I was appalled!!!

Advice to Management

Stop the continued harassment, allow the CM's to work their files. Don't fix something that was NEVER broke in the first place.

11. CareIQ

Current Employee - Medical Scheduler/Intake Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Medical Scheduler/Intake Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at CorVel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice, quiet, and professional location. Good starting point for a young person looking to gain professional experience. Virtually unlimited overtime when I was there.

Cons

Terrible pay. Very shady management. Hush hush on a lot of decisions that would be implemented. People constantly in fear of sling their jobs. Uptight environment.

CorVel Photos