CorVel Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great people, nice office in a good location, benefits aren't so great

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portland, OR

I have been working at CorVel

Pros

The people are great. My immediate manager is one of the best I've ever had. There are a lot of people who have been here 10, 15, or even 20 years, which speaks to how good it is. We're given the time to do a good job and very rarely are we in emergency mode where we need to work 50 hour weeks, on weekends, etc. Good work-life balance. Just moved to a brand new office in downtown Portland that is pretty nice and is in a great location near transit, etc.

Cons

There is a lot of technical debt to deal with, but that's slowly being worked through. It's to be expected at a 30 year old company. The benefits are terrible although the pay is inline with the market. Health insurance is incredibly expensive, 401K match is stingy. There is some resistance to using newer technologies although that is getting better. The release process is kind of a mess with an adversarial feeling between IT and development.

Advice to Management

Better benefits! Find some cheaper health insurance or at least offer a few different plans with varying costs. Stop being so stingy with the 401K match. Figure out the release process so IT and development work together instead of against each other.

acct manager

Former Employee - Acct
    Former Employee - Acct

I worked at CorVel (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work Remote is nice. Not much else

Cons

Horrible Management bullying and no one does anything. The turnover is horrific as are the work conditions.

Advice to Management

HR refuses to do anything about management bullies. Anyone ignoring these issues are a disgrace.

A very political type of industry to make it in.

Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at CorVel

Pros

Good work schedule, nice and safe building to work at. Nice work stations.

Cons

Poor management, rude and disrespectful coworkers. A bunch of old and unhappy woman who like to spend there time gossiping through their IM during work hours.

Advice to Management

Hire better management people who don't just employ there friends and family. Managers and supervisors play huge ball of favortism which creates a unfair team moral.

Just don't.

I have been working at CorVel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work remotely, but that is no longer an option

Cons

Poor benefits and compensation, undervalued employees, antiquated policy and work environment

RUN !!

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Honolulu, HI

I worked at CorVel

Pros

Haven't found anything good to say since I left and I've had much time to ponder.

Cons

The list is LONG! No training. Low morale. Backstabbing staff. No support from management. Non-existent HR department. No pay raise. No leadership. No promotion. No staff appreciation. Unethical practice. No team spirit. Unattainable goals set forth by money hungry upper level staff. Poor benefits. Inefficiency in work flow. Upper level management breeds disharmony. Unreasonable expectations.

Advice to Management

Overhaul senior management and you WILL see a difference in your profit margins, staff morale, and employee satisfaction.

Software Developer

I have been working at CorVel

Pros

Good work environment, good pay

Cons

Some older programming technology (Delphi)

Will suck the life right out of you.

I worked at CorVel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are a paycheck, that is just about the only decent thing I can come up with.

Cons

Where do I begin? Nepotism was the promotion method in the office I was in. No communication from management because they don't think you're important enough to waste their time on. Like other reviewers have said, do not open your mouth about anything, unless you want to be unemployed. Employees are not valued, are clearly unhappy and management likes it that way, health insurance is a joke, You can hear a pin drop in the office because employee interaction is not only discouraged, it is forbidden. No holiday parties, no fun or team building of any kind. Never worked anywhere that made me so miserable. Think long and hard before thinking you need to work here.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people. Pretend you are actually in the healthcare industry and get a decent health plan for your employees.

A continuous rewarding experience!!

Former Employee - PPO Network Development Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - PPO Network Development Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CorVel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fair and constructive leadership by management. Very positive work environment with consistent training on new protocol and procedures.

Cons

Wish that the position I held for 5 years would have been able to earn Circle of Excellence trips!

Advice to Management

Continue giving your current employees to advance and grow with you. After all, they are your most valuable investments!

Ok to work for

Current Employee - MedCheck Analyst in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - MedCheck Analyst in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at CorVel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Time off policy not bad. There not much as a growth process. Lots of work but not enough people to get it done.

Cons

Not good leadership. Compensation for the work required do not add u

Advice to Management

Good workers but the compensation given is not equal.

POOR MANAGEMENT

Former Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CorVel

Pros

I was allowed to attend local seminars on a regular basis and able to meet my requirements for certification and licensure. My immediate supervisor was great, but she was very opinionated of other supervisors and staff which was very unprofessional.

Cons

We lost a huge client, yet no word came out from leadership for weeks and months. No one knew from day to day what was to become of the staff, and who would be retained or cut loose. Everyone was expected to work as hard as possible before the client left with no separation package or benefit to do so. Really had no choice but to do what you had to, because if you were laid off, then you could claim unemployment, so you didn't want to get fired a few days before the client work left. Turnover was huge, as staff left left and right causing undue hardship on the ones who had to do the work. No raises or bonuses, no annual review. Don't get sick after you put in your resignation, company policy says can not use any of that after you resign.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people, pay them a reasonable wage, and respect your clients.

RSS Feed </> Embed