CorVel

www.corvel.com
Employer Engaged

Unhappy Employees (Orange Office)

Former Employee - Coordinator in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Orange, CA

I worked at CorVel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The long time employees are the most sincere and work very hard. Although they tend to keep to themselves, they're the people you do want to get to know as they know what really happens behind the scenes.

Basically a sweatshop. High gray cubicles, quiet areas, and unhappy people. Go in, do your work, and get out.

Cons

Employees can become to comfortable. If management likes you enough, they will treat you (work from home, flexible hours, etc) However, wages or increases are not generous. It's about 3%.

Some of the individuals they hire are peculiar, often times bi-polar and inexperience. This could be a "pro" as you would have a diverse group of personalities but more often than not for the worst. Management should consider doing background checks and personality tests before hiring.

Wage is low and doesn't get very high. Like i said, the company standard is 3%, the last i got was barely a 50 cent raise. I started at $13.50 and 2 years later reached $14.97. They do give you yearly reviews but it's graded as average and positive comments. A year later you'll find it's the same exact review as last years and they changed a word or two. Also, they send it to you to sign and send it back, no discussing no nothing.

Life isn't fair and CorVel will remind you of it. Certain people get special perks and often times you will not. Perhaps they did work for what they earned but there will always be one person who gets special perks and no one knows why... With that, many of the employees are hard-working and overlooked too often. Of course they push for more production and quotas but too often not caring for quality or the well-being of the employee.

Some of the employees barely afford a living on their wage. Even my wage starting out was enough for me to live alone in Orange County costs. Every Friday is casual jeans day where they collect $1 from each employee who wears jeans to contribute towards the holiday party. Management holds fundraisers for employees to purchase to pay for their holiday party. Often time many employees take the day off the day of the holiday party because they do not want to participate.

What prompted me to leave was the benefits and pay. I am single and my estimated health insurance plan was $270/month. Many of the other employees were dissatisfied with their health plan in which i did not find it worth investing into.

The employees are unhappy, I cannot stress that enough.

Fairness and integrity. I have only been with CorVel with a few years and know particular backgrounds about individuals, situations, and things not to be said. Perhaps the people telling me aren't truthful but more often then not, many of it has been true.

Not a very nice company to work for...

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Duluth, GA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Duluth, GA

I worked at CorVel as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

In all honesty, I can't think of many "pros" to working for this company. If I had to name one...I would have to say that it provided a paycheck.

Cons

Several: Although I was only a temp employee...I can tell you that the pay is terrible, and the benefits are even worse (they are extremely expensive and provide terrible coverage), most of their employees cannot afford the benefits. The management and leadership in this particular office is the worst I've ever seen. They treat their employees terribly and do not value them in any way. I urge everyone to steer clear of this particular location.

Re-evaluate your management in this location. Provide better benefits to your employees.

Communication

I worked at CorVel

Pros

Some people are great other not so much just like anywhere else.

Cons

When I was employed there the communication from upper management to middle management was extremely poor. It could have just been my region which I understand that things have changed.

A Dilbert Situation for Non-Programmers

I worked at CorVel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you're a business school graduate, it seems to be a great and challenging atmosphere to test theory and possibly make changes. If you have an interest in the medical field, even the admin side, there might be enough to keep you engaged. For anyone with any other interest, I'd suggest it as an okay holding place while actively searching for a better position. It could be an acceptable paycheck for those in a multi-income household.

Cons

Stripped down work-force, IT department paranoid and protected enough that duties that could be automated are piled on employees to be done by hand, some lower echelon pockets encourage a policy of lying to management to avoid blame for falling behind in overworked status, have seen city-to-city office rivalries poorly affect quality of service to clients, fairly high turnover, have heard sales people say internally that company is offering services nobody wants.

I saw sales people with used to having assistants who had none, and would try to pressure overworked folks from other departments to do their work for them. I saw plots to lie to management due to a culture of fear around being honest about inability to meet deadlines without proper manpower and resources. I saw employees so terrified of going some sick that they were wiling to spread the illness to the entire office rather than get any further behind than they already were. I saw people working additional jobs from their desks because the company doesn't pay well. The best and brightest of the lower echelons left early, while those those poor boundaries and self-esteem stayed until the bitter end. I watched fresh-faced professionals get discouraged when they realized their situation. It's a somewhat acceptable paycheck and a placeholder on a resume, but not much more for people who aren't fascinated by business or medicine.

Portland Office is great, the rest is meh.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at CorVel full-time

Pros

Small office - good training ground

Cons

No benefits to speak of, employees are considered commodities.

Employees are important, you should make it a priority to keep your workforce healthy, happy, and secure.

Company is production based

Current Employee - Provider Data Specialist in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Provider Data Specialist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CorVel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Never have to take work home with you, think about it or worry about it. Young and friendly staff, no cold calling

Cons

Company is production based, very strict on time, makes you document every move you make, including bathroom breaks, etc. Mind numbing, boring work

Make the work place more enjoyable, don't be so strict with time Teach staff more about the company

Overall pretty positive

Current Employee - Medical Only Claims Adjuster in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Medical Only Claims Adjuster in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at CorVel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities for advancement. The management are approachable. The office is clean and a fairly lively and pleasant. Workloads are lighter that at other companies, giving individuals a fair work week of 40ish hours, and very fair caseloads. Ex: 150 at Corvel would be 300 at Sedwyck.

Cons

The benefits packages are horrible, especially for a company that is in the healthcare industry. The IT development is working backwards, every time they try to update a system that is working halfway decent, it gets worse. There is no discussion of improving benefit conditions or acknowledgement of existing IT problems.

We need to work a bit more closely with other departments within our own company. We need to know what each other's jobs consist of, there is almost a civil war present in the office, Bill-Review Vs. Claims

Good company, financially strong, very competitive industry

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at CorVel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Focused on technology and being an innovative solution in a very competitive industry. Solid financially with consistent growth.

Cons

inconsistency in quality of service for each market

I did not have a good experience with this employer.

Former Employee - Supervisor of Claims in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Supervisor of Claims in Washington, DC

I worked at CorVel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They pay every two weeks. Nothing else is good about the employer. That's my honest opinion.

Cons

Bad IT system, no business core values, very secreative, no room for promotion, benefits are horrible, no structure, makes great promises to the customer and employees but cannot keep them.

Treat your employees as professionals. Respect them.

good environment

I have been working at CorVel

Pros

good managers, good teams, excellent smart people. great technology, very steady, low turnaround. great environment to thrive in and excel. managers care deeply about the employees. great personal interaction with the managers. I have a really good manager who is very hands on and also a great leader with great personal skills.

Cons

low personal interactions within the team. minimal talking. no interactions between the team members. it feels like the company does nothing to build the teams. a lot of companies have adopted the agile approach with high interactions between teams and team members. Corvel lags way behind. their entire approach is to get the work done as soon as possible. it can be quite lonely and not very healthy with such minimal interactions between people.

build an office culture where people feel like they interact a lot.

CorVel Photos