Coraid Reviews

Updated October 9, 2014
Updated October 9, 2014
2.9

Kevin Brown

Fabulous Start up with great products and new management team

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Coraid full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Every person is important as we are all needed to make this a huge success. The new management team is making some tough decisions to lead us to the next chapter. So far, I have agreed with their decisions.

Cons

Lots of changes--so if you don't like change, don't come here. Coraid is in a period of transition and you have to got through some rough stuff to emerge as a world class player--especially in the competitive world of storage.

Keep on keeping on. I know you are going as fast as you can to improve everything about our products, our culture and our customer's Coraid experience.

Mediocre CEO, weak engineering, no products

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Coraid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Historically good at marketing and sales but nearly all the business-centric talent has quit.
    HQ office is nice but expensive.
    George office is cheap but little value.

Cons

CEO is a sales-centric general manager who delivered mediocre results at both Mu and NetApp, his previous jobs.
    Engineering mgmt is clueless on what to do.
    Engineering ranks have little to no storage talent (verify via LinkedIn).
    No technology advantage (Plan9 is a joke, ZFS belongs to Oracle).
    AoE is actually slower than iSCSI (sad but true, facts were confirmed in lab testing, latency better with iSCSI).
    Pricing is no longer an advantage for Coraid's cheap and deep storage. Now just expensive and slow storage with no unique features.

Recommend cutting costs, recapitalize and find a new product-centric CEO that will bring real engineering talent, and find a buyer for the company. That is the best case scenario to get something besides a bankruptcy for this 14 year old startup that is irrelevant in the storage market.

Window is closing

Former Employee - Sales in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Oakland, CA

I worked at Coraid full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-New CEO and CFO have good vision as to where the product and company needs to go
    -Sales Comp Plan is good
    -People are great

Cons

- Go to market is weak
    - Differentiator in products is minimal and prices are too high to compete
    - Micro Managing of deals is relentless
    - Lead generation is non-existent
    - Sales Management understands the difficulty of the transition, but does not alter behavior
    - No motivation and low energy in Sales Dept
    - No Social Media marketing

If you don't have a better mousetrap you must compete on price... need more software innovation. Stop micromanaging the pipeline and work on increasing it's size. You cannot expect one guy to do it all... develop a real inside sales group.

Weird Scenes inside the Gold mine

I worked at Coraid

Pros

Easy Peninsula commute being near 101 92 interchange.
    Roomy top floor offices.
    Decent coffee and espresso.
    Friendly people. People went out of their way to introduce themselves to the 'new guy'

Cons

Doomed niche player.
    The top is falling out of raid so the big boys are now competing directly with coraid.
    Crisis atmosphere.
    You can smell fear in the hallways.

Sales

I worked at Coraid full-time

Pros

Good technology idea, but no vision

Cons

No vision, execution, or ability to differentiate

Great go to market team

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Coraid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

sales and marketing culture was awesome

Cons

cto and engineering was terrible

past performance does not always reflect future performance

Management focus is on protecting themselves from blame, not delivering a quality product.

I worked at Coraid full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, interesting technology, and some of the most astounding raw potential of any company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Exceptionally poor management in the Engineering branch, increasing attrition/loss of experienced and reliable employees, unclear direction and poor decision making.

To put it simply, the current management structure in Engineering is inept, and obsessed with looking good to other departments -- not actually doing a good job. Managing up well and managing down poorly are not a good combination, especially when management delivers unclear directives and doesn't understand the technology that they should be working with. Practices like making technicians apologize to managers who make mistakes or ignoring the advice of experienced staff on hiring choices foster a feeling that the management is indifferent to the actual teams doing their jobs.

If Coraid cannot ditch these managers, they will drive the company into an early grave -- but the sheer volume of long-time employees jumping ship should attest to that.

Disappointment in Coraid's Leadership

I worked at Coraid full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Unique Technology that can be a huge game changer in the storage industry

Cons

Poor management...People in CxO level positions for first time that do not have the background or credentials to lead at that level.

Give people a chance. Don't hire people with no support or direction. Give them more then 6-12 months to succeed. Your a new technology- that MOST people have never heard of with a whole new approach to Storage. It's going to take time to beat out the incumbents like EMC, IBM, & NTAP.

You really can't find a better, more promising job in the QA or development fields.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA

I have been working at Coraid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You won't find a better group of people with whom to work, regardless of which coast you choose (I happen to be at the Athens, GA location). Everybody has a great work ethic and you'll find that your contributions REALLY COUNT and are recognized. Respect for the individual worker is paramount, and especially considering jobs I've had in the past ... this alone is a rare and invaluable commodity. Executive team is top-notch and are very communicative/personable ... none of the "head in the clouds" stuff or superior attitude you get with execs at so many other companies.

Cons

As other have said: Coraid is currently a startup of sorts. Things can get pretty hectic at times, but I personally don't think that's a bad thing.

Fast-paced start-up engineering environment using Agile methodologies to design AoE data storage solutions.

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Coraid

Pros

The engineering group is dedicated, but also has fun. Good communication. Not a quiet place. Engineers are talking to each other, while on the other side of the room Sales are talking to customers on the phone. We hear sales being made in real-time. Very exciting! This also makes for immediate feedback as to which features need to be prioritized.

No politics here. Everyone pulling in the same direction.
    There is a clear mission, and that is to go public in a big way.
    Every Friday the company buys lunch and we teleconference with our Athens office to get the latest scoop from the execs, so every employee knows just how the company is progressing.

All engineering effort goes into actual product design and testing. We have very short product cycles with a good balance of schedule vs risk. No dinking around in engineering planning meetings all day and not being able to get your work done. And the Engineering VP makes sure everyone has the equipment they need.

And the technology truly is the wave of the future for Data Storage. ATA over Ethernet (AoE) communication using typical network switches gives line saturation speed with port redundancy for free. It's all about elegant SW design here starting with company founder Brantley Coile (who designed and coded Cisco's PIX firewall and NAT appliance).
    We actually saw and got to say hello to Ken Thompson (who created Unix with Dennis Ritchie) when he visited Brantley. Geniuses are just walking around here, which is a great learning opportunity for me!

Cons

It's a start-up, so you get what comes with a start-up.

We work long hours, but it's fun seeing features getting implemented in days and weeks instead of months and years (like at a large company).
    Also Engineering cubes are in the same room with everyone else, so some engineers wear headphones to deal with the noise.

The bay area location is mid-Peninsula near Oracle, so depending on where you live there could be commute issues. I'm in Sunnyvale so it's about 30 minutes each way if I drive. But there is a shuttle from the train station that services these office buildings, so I do that sometimes.

Keep doing what you are doing!
    Product marketing, keep us on the right track. Engineering keep executing. And we will all keep those Sales folks landing bigger and better deals.

Coraid Photos