Coraid

www.coraid.com

Coraid Reviews

Updated Jun 16, 2014
Coraid – US – “Coraid VMworld 2011”

Kevin Brown

Fabulous Start up with great products and new management team

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEvery person is important as we are all needed to make this a huge success. The new management team is making some tough decisions to lead us to the next chapter. So far, I have agreed with their decisions.

ConsLots of changes--so if you don't like change, don't come here. Coraid is in a period of transition and you have to got through some rough stuff to emerge as a world class player--especially in the competitive world of storage.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on keeping on. I know you are going as fast as you can to improve everything about our products, our culture and our customer's Coraid experience.

Window is closing

Sales (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

Pros-New CEO and CFO have good vision as to where the product and company needs to go
    -Sales Comp Plan is good
    -People are great

Cons- Go to market is weak
    - Differentiator in products is minimal and prices are too high to compete
    - Micro Managing of deals is relentless
    - Lead generation is non-existent
    - Sales Management understands the difficulty of the transition, but does not alter behavior
    - No motivation and low energy in Sales Dept
    - No Social Media marketing

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't have a better mousetrap you must compete on price... need more software innovation. Stop micromanaging the pipeline and work on increasing it's size. You cannot expect one guy to do it all... develop a real inside sales group.

Weird Scenes inside the Gold mine

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEasy Peninsula commute being near 101 92 interchange.
    Roomy top floor offices.
    Decent coffee and espresso.
    Friendly people. People went out of their way to introduce themselves to the 'new guy'

ConsDoomed niche player.
    The top is falling out of raid so the big boys are now competing directly with coraid.
    Crisis atmosphere.
    You can smell fear in the hallways.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood technology idea, but no vision

ConsNo vision, execution, or ability to differentiate

Great go to market team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

Prossales and marketing culture was awesome

Conscto and engineering was terrible

Advice to Senior Managementpast performance does not always reflect future performance

Management focus is on protecting themselves from blame, not delivering a quality product.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat co-workers, interesting technology, and some of the most astounding raw potential of any company I have ever worked for.

ConsExceptionally poor management in the Engineering branch, increasing attrition/loss of experienced and reliable employees, unclear direction and poor decision making.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo put it simply, the current management structure in Engineering is inept, and obsessed with looking good to other departments -- not actually doing a good job. Managing up well and managing down poorly are not a good combination, especially when management delivers unclear directives and doesn't understand the technology that they should be working with. Practices like making technicians apologize to managers who make mistakes or ignoring the advice of experienced staff on hiring choices foster a feeling that the management is indifferent to the actual teams doing their jobs.

If Coraid cannot ditch these managers, they will drive the company into an early grave -- but the sheer volume of long-time employees jumping ship should attest to that.

Disappointment in Coraid's Leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsUnique Technology that can be a huge game changer in the storage industry

ConsPoor management...People in CxO level positions for first time that do not have the background or credentials to lead at that level.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people a chance. Don't hire people with no support or direction. Give them more then 6-12 months to succeed. Your a new technology- that MOST people have never heard of with a whole new approach to Storage. It's going to take time to beat out the incumbents like EMC, IBM, & NTAP.

You really can't find a better, more promising job in the QA or development fields.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Athens, GA

ProsYou won't find a better group of people with whom to work, regardless of which coast you choose (I happen to be at the Athens, GA location). Everybody has a great work ethic and you'll find that your contributions REALLY COUNT and are recognized. Respect for the individual worker is paramount, and especially considering jobs I've had in the past ... this alone is a rare and invaluable commodity. Executive team is top-notch and are very communicative/personable ... none of the "head in the clouds" stuff or superior attitude you get with execs at so many other companies.

ConsAs other have said: Coraid is currently a startup of sorts. Things can get pretty hectic at times, but I personally don't think that's a bad thing.

Fast-paced start-up engineering environment using Agile methodologies to design AoE data storage solutions.

QA Engineer (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsThe engineering group is dedicated, but also has fun. Good communication. Not a quiet place. Engineers are talking to each other, while on the other side of the room Sales are talking to customers on the phone. We hear sales being made in real-time. Very exciting! This also makes for immediate feedback as to which features need to be prioritized.

No politics here. Everyone pulling in the same direction.
    There is a clear mission, and that is to go public in a big way.
    Every Friday the company buys lunch and we teleconference with our Athens office to get the latest scoop from the execs, so every employee knows just how the company is progressing.

All engineering effort goes into actual product design and testing. We have very short product cycles with a good balance of schedule vs risk. No dinking around in engineering planning meetings all day and not being able to get your work done. And the Engineering VP makes sure everyone has the equipment they need.

And the technology truly is the wave of the future for Data Storage. ATA over Ethernet (AoE) communication using typical network switches gives line saturation speed with port redundancy for free. It's all about elegant SW design here starting with company founder Brantley Coile (who designed and coded Cisco's PIX firewall and NAT appliance).
    We actually saw and got to say hello to Ken Thompson (who created Unix with Dennis Ritchie) when he visited Brantley. Geniuses are just walking around here, which is a great learning opportunity for me!

ConsIt's a start-up, so you get what comes with a start-up.

We work long hours, but it's fun seeing features getting implemented in days and weeks instead of months and years (like at a large company).
    Also Engineering cubes are in the same room with everyone else, so some engineers wear headphones to deal with the noise.

The bay area location is mid-Peninsula near Oracle, so depending on where you live there could be commute issues. I'm in Sunnyvale so it's about 30 minutes each way if I drive. But there is a shuttle from the train station that services these office buildings, so I do that sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!
    Product marketing, keep us on the right track. Engineering keep executing. And we will all keep those Sales folks landing bigger and better deals.

Terrific, innovative, friendly, hard-working, love your job company!!!!

Director of Marketing (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsThe people here are smart, friendly, easy-going, listen to new ideas, respect each other and not into the political BS that has made so many other companies a nightmare to work for. The exec team knows what they're doing and are poised to lead us to the promised land.

ConsGrowing fast - so you have to be comfortable working in this type of environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou push us when we need it, reward us when we deserve it, listen to us when we ask it. The best companies are the ones where the employees will follow you anywhere - so far you're on the right path.

Worked for Coraid? Contribute to the Community!