Corbis

Be The First To
Add Photos

Corbis President and CEO Gary Shenk

Gary Shenk

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance is very much respected in most departments"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Nice people at the low to mid levels, good benefits, vacation, etc"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior Management and the entire business vision, or rather lack of it"
    in 13 reviews
  • "upper management, lack of communication, silos maintained"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

still churn'n and burn'n

Manager (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

Prosgood smart people and lots of problems too work on

Consexpensive executive non-servant leader managers pent on driving you top down style

Advice to Senior Managementfind other employers

Broken and Unmotivated

Manager (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsNice people at the low to mid levels, good benefits, vacation, etc.

ConsFrequent restructuring leads to unpredictable staff reductions. Those left standing are best served by keeping their heads down so as not to be noticed when the chopping block is out again. Everyone suffers when this type of constant inexplicable change occurs - those who were forced out and those who remain, paranoid and demotivated and sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully your latest idea works better than the last twenty or so. These are actual people you are dealing with not just numbers. But, that's business, right?

Slowly regressing as a brand

ProsSmart, creative, easy-going colleagues work or once worked here. Some of the collections are beautiful and well curated. Employee benefits are good.

ConsLike others have stated, folks in upper management have little focus or bite off more than they can chew, resulting in frequent yet unpredictable layoffs. Minimal progress happens at a snail's pace. There is almost no communication and where there is, message is patronizing or meaningless. Technical Infrastructure appears to be lacking as temporary fixes occur often. Employees are highly highly insecure about their jobs. Direct managers are happy to help with career advancement, but company itself allows no room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees and give them what they need to do the job. Go see what it is that they do. Stop making knee-jerk reactions based on metrics.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The hellmouth of DOOM.

Mid-Level (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsCasual work environment, complimentary bus pass, nice benefits package, company events are well-planned and a nice perk.

ConsUpper management never stands up for anything... it's a very 'yes-man' atmosphere with extreme non-transparency. Multiple bad decisions by upper management/CEO have been made in my time here with no consequences. Corbis took an amazing and creative company (Veer) and squeezed every last bit of life out of it. The IT/Tech aspect of this company is a joke. Nothing has ever ran smoothly in that regard. This place is doomed.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees instead of treating them like expendable robots. Stop running from creativity & innovation. Focus on what you can do differently to rise in the market instead of barely getting by.

Please value your employees

Seattle, WA

Pros- You are surrounded by smart, capable people who do their job very well.
    - Flexible work environment
    - Metro card

Cons- Insultingly low pay
    - Upper management doesn't know what they are doing
    - No regard for advancement of current employees
    - unfocused business plans that stay vague until they fail then lower level employees get cut

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees more. This will create loyalty and hard workers. Oh, and find a new CEO that can handle responsibility like an adult instead of failing and never having to face consequences.

Low Pay, Little Opportunity

Pros- Many talented, dedicated colleagues.
    - Casual work environment.
    - Semi-flexible with hours.
    - Pretty good benefits.

Cons- CEO is disliked across the board by any employee I've ever talked to, and nobody has faith in upper-management.

- Low salaries, with little chance of significant raises. Not many internal promotions.

- They keep your title low, so it's hard to even build your resume for the next opportunity. Titles do not always reflect the actual work being done.

- Annual layoffs of talented workers, leading to incredibly low employee morale. Everyone is constantly complaining about this place, their job, etc.

- Mid-level management keeps quiet and doesn't stir the pot. Very corporate, yes-man mindset.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new CEO immediately. Retain and promote employees who show their value. Change a culture that tells employees to do the bare minimum, instead of their best.

I'm embarrassed to work here

Pros--Great product offering.
    --Talented and great people working here
    --Good work/life balance

Cons--Senior leadership is MIA most of the time.
    --Zero communication from the top about anything. I haven't seen or heard from the CEO in months. Heads/VPs do nothing to communicate their teams' work or accomplishments.
    --Pay is not competitive
    --Annual layoffs (no exaggeration).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe old ways of licensing are no longer sustainable. Stop trying to keep it alive. Slow adaptation has prevented you from competing in this business while other companies have surged ahead. Only some bold shifts in strategy will save this company.

Corbis is turning the corner

Seattle, WA

ProsCo-workers are the biggest pro. The people here are great.
    Challenging and fun products/projects
    Flexible Hours
    New CTO knows what he is doing and is already making an impact
    Leveraging new tools/software, especially in the open source community

ConsCompensation is not up to par
    Hard to get raises

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, I like the direction the company is heading

Ups and downs...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExciting field - the quality of the product Corbis is selling is unmatched in the industry.

ConsCompany has been going through a lot of downsizing lately. Seems like the best people are being let go or are leaving on their own (abandoning a sinking ship???). Employees show a lot of paranoia and most are keeping their resumes up-to-date!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat is the real cost savings when the best resources are not retained? From the employee point-of-view, my job would be on-the-line if I was highly paid or over 50. If this is NOT reality, it certainly seems to be so for the employees!

Whats the point

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsBill's unlimited check book remains

ConsWhy is this place still around

Advice to Senior ManagementI didn't realize there was any management at Corbis

Worked for Corbis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Corbis reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Corbis CEO Gary Shenk. All 121 reviews posted anonymously by Corbis employees.