Corbis

Be The First To
Add Photos

Corbis President and CEO Gary Shenk

Gary Shenk

Pros
  • Work-life balance in IT is actually pretty reasonable, and the team genuinely cares about your livelihood outside of work(in 10 reviews)

• Nice people at the low to mid levels, good benefits, vacation, etc(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management and the entire business vision, or rather lack of it(in 14 reviews)

• upper management, lack of communication, silos maintained(in 14 reviews)

Crazy little dysfunctional company where decisions are made in the vacuum of space.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsMany really good, hard working people at an individual contributor level motivated to do their best for the customers, the products and ultimately the company. A company that is willing to try new business ventures, even if it appears they don' t have a clue what they are doing. Given good background information decisions can be made quickly. Those decisions won't stick, but at least they are made without much fanfare and triple justification. Decent location, casual work style, funky, (perhaps even cool?) building. I enjoyed working with nearly everyone @ Corbis and the work I did, I also enjoyed.

ConsDwindling business model, dysfunctional company and hire/RIF waves every 6 months.

Getty, Corbis and a host of microstock companies. That's really the market. Yea, for Corbis, the purchase of Splash, Demotix, Norm Marshall with the spin up of Greenlight Music may help broaden the market, but not sure how they will all fit together. I suspect they won't. Product development appears very spur of the moment with little thought towards a cohesive strategy..

The company has crushed it's most senior/mid management layers, and with that in some cases promoted some way beyond their skillset and abilities. This contributes to the dysfunctional behavior. A decent manager @ Corbis is rare. For the most part first and second level management that remains doesn't really act like it's their job to be involved. Lastly and in many cases the most obvious, what remains of existing senior leadership makes some of the poorest business decisions I've ever seen.

Corbis staffing and resouce planning is chaos at it's best. RIFs (reduction in force) and new hires waves seem to cycle on the 6 month interval. In some cases they made correct decisions, but in other cases the wrong decisions. Not unheard of but that is whole reason you HAVE management.

For a company owned by one of the most recognized technincal visionaries of our generation, the pile of technical debt at Corbis is astonishing, and frankly acts like a huge ball and chain for the entire company, Either important business processes aren't done, or somewhat sporatic as critical systems fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of doing 19 things really poorly, how about a little focus on 2-3 that really make sense and match a well developed, cohesive business strategy? If you can't accomplish that, then just ACT that way, and you're halfway there.

Confusing place to work.

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people. Product can be interesting. Can move upward if in right position and motivated.

ConsConfusing messages from upper managment, or no messaging. Layoffs are frequent. Poor leadership. Negative messaging about industry and company from managers. "We're doomed" attitude from management, or they just leave suddenly.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to invest in the technology and back end sytems. Hire and motivate positive and talented leaders to steer the ship (rather than sink it.)

Great work environment

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat perks and company moral

Consinternal promotions are limited and rarely done

Advice to Senior Managementpromote internally

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bizarre

ProsThe people who do real work. The imagery the toilets were Ok, but beyond that its really hard to find anything complimentary to say about this company Bill Gates needs to come to the office more to find out why he he never made money in over 20 years. Firing folks does not add to the bottom line but it does take away from the top line and creativity.

ConsSenior Management and the entire business vision, or rather lack of it. There is no real teamwork, none of the offices work together. At some point Bill has to pull the plug.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a plan, stop firing anybody with an idea and stop getting the PR team to write the reviews on here. We all know the CEOs approval rating would not even be 20% if it were not for the PR team.

Lack of focus leads to failure

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThere are a fair number of very dedicated & talented individuals that work at Corbis. Atmosphere is generally pleasant & benefits are good(ish). The recently developed focus on being a product driven organization has the potential to help create internal alignment & drive success if in-fighting executives don't crush it.

ConsCorbis has an amazing ability to take on more than it can do. The company is way over diversified for an organization of its size. Leadership is unable to focus on accomplishing 1 - 3 strategic priorities at a time. Instead the product development organizations take on too many simultaneous projects & fail across the board. Wonder why production sites are down so often?

While there are many good people, under performers are never held accountable for poor performance. Instead they are provided perks & incentives to do things as simple as showing up for work while high-performers are forced to pick up the slack & punished for others failures. This causes an environment where poor performance is encouraged!

Poor compensation for those in the tech industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut/spin off non-core business units and focus on doing 1-2 things really well. You're too small to compete across the board, so you should focus excelling at several things.

Cut 50% of your poor performers & hire back 1/2 half as many at a decent pay rate. They will actually be more productive.

sr software engineer

Prostechnology move fast, allow people to conference or training.

Consbusiness model is wrong, never have promotion!

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure group like team or family

A waste of time

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prossome great minded people with a true passion for photography. nice offices.

Consa corporate culture at it's worst: no risk taking, everyone is busy protecting their back, email obsessed, unhealthy competition between NY and Seattle office, constant layoffs, useless meetings, arrogance.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking of yourself as a big profitable company and start thinking as a start up with little cash.

They could have been a contender

Photo Editor (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Amazing archive and historical collection
    -Some of the best photography/photographers on the market today.
    -Working with very skilled employees - a few of which still have a passion for photography and carry the torch of knowledge.
    -Learn a lot from colleagues.

Cons-No job security, layoffs are annual.
    -No growth - promotions are rare.
    -Company focus is on money, period - employees and content providers come last.
    -Goals never consider the content providers, unless they're "high profile" and are willing to work with the company, on the company's terms
    -Culture is non-existant
    -No commitment to planing direction and a lot of flip flopping on goals.

Advice to Senior Management-Stop using layoffs as a cost cutting method - The company is losing precious talent
    -Stop following in the footsteps of the competition, create something new and find your own identity
    -Listen to your clients' needs
    -Allow employee evaluations of their directors and upper management - you'll be surprised what you find out

Great people and a great company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsFriendly people and a company that has a great working atmosphere and culture. They really care about their employees, and it shows in all of our day to day activities.

ConsThe only downside for me is commuting to Seattle, but even that is not much of a con because they give me an ORCA card to catch the train.

Corbis - still stuck at 5 yd line; 'Safety' looks imminent

Programmer Manager (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood Team Name, Good Owner Name, Good content. Friendship with team members. good company activities and parties - though the QB rarely shows up.

ConsNo Quarterback or a good running back or a good wide receiver (and I am not talking 'great' just 'good')
    Continuous reshuffling of players
    IT sucks and so does it leadership gal
    So many free agents leaving the ship

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some good team leaders and key positions re-filled.

Worked for Corbis? Contribute to the Community!