Corbis Reviews

Updated September 5, 2014
2.4

Corbis President and CEO Gary Shenk
Gary Shenk

Pros
  • Great work / life balance and fulfilling work with good compensation (in 14 reviews)

• Corbis has good benefits and great work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management changes direction daily, running the company like Moe, Larry and Curly (in 15 reviews)

• Senior Management and the entire business vision, or rather lack of it (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, great company!

I have been working at Corbis full-time

Pros

Great work / life balance and fulfilling work with good compensation. If you like being part of the entertainment Industry this is a great place to start. Corbis has good of opportunities as the company is growing with new product launches.

Cons

thee have been lots of new people with mergers and acquisitions of new complementing companies and the new pieces don't always fit perfectly. There is a little bit of a disconnect between the layers of management and to much of a focus on new products while existing clients suffer as a result of less attention.

Has its ups and downs

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Corbis

Pros

Corbis has good benefits and great work-life balance. It is also nice to be surrounded by beautiful and inspiring photography all day, every day. Corbis will train, develop and promote some of their employees, but you have to be vocal and ask for it. You can get ahead if you make it happen.

Cons

The biggest challenge to working at Corbis is the semi-annual layoff cycle. With a few random layoffs thrown in for good measure. The turnover at Corbis is so high, that nothing can get accomplished. Constant changes in direction are unhelpful and demoralizing. Employees are dispirited and unengaged. Those employees that still try and newer employees who haven't yet lost hope, are overworked and fighting an uphill battle.

Pick a direction and stick to it. Recognize employees.

times are rough

I have been working at Corbis full-time

Pros

The best reason to work at corbis are the benefts.

Cons

Lack of transparency from everyone from manager level to upper management. There seem too be a lot of secretive lay-offs.

Great team of people to work with

I have been working at Corbis full-time

Pros

Department culture is great. Lot's of fresh ideas being thought up. Work life balance is amazing. Able to work from home on occasion. Opportunities to use work hours to help with community service projects.

Cons

Shifts in management occur frequently. The company seems to be still finding its rhythm, so there are still growing pains as the company pivots from strategy to strategy.

Happy I am here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Corbis full-time

Pros

Good benefits, small/mid size company provides lots of opportunities to make a big impact and lots of opportunity to learn and have personal growth. My manager gives me autonomy and support to make the decisions I need to make. Excellent work life balance. Fun events like ice cream socials, world cup games played on big screens etc.

Cons

Compensation is average to above average but there is real value in the work-life balance and work opportunities and benefits that help close that gap

Continue the commitment to be transparent

This company has its work cut out for it...

I have been working at Corbis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work with a group that is a nice blend of personalities. Benefits are good. Company has very good intentions.

Cons

Good intentions are not a sound business strategy (we know the road that good intentions is paved with). Constant shortfalls in revenue and focus on workforce reduction stress everyone out and make them afraid for their jobs.

Focus on growing the business and providing your teams with enough resources to make that a reality...not just a dream. (Pie in the sky, anyone?)

Great people, a well intentioned but challenging / challenged company

I worked at Corbis full-time

Pros

My peers and the mid-level managers are a pleasure to work with, have made many friends here. Benefits including healthcare and 401k are good. Office culture and values good.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are limited. Even though it is a relatively flat organization upper management generally distant / remote, plans and decisions tend to be made in a vacuum without consulting those who may actually have relevant insight.

No idea what their business plan was after 9 months

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Corbis as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The work is interesting and challenging. Depending on what team you're assigned to you could have some good coworkers with managers who have experience leading and a vision for their team. Others may not be so lucky.

Cons

I asked several senior managers what Corbis does and they all gave me a different answer. Corbis has a tendency to buy other companies so their portfolio includes a pretty broad range of functions. That doesn't excuse senior management for not having a clear idea of what the motley of businesses mean and how they're all going to fit together.

Decide who you are, what you want to do, and be able to tell me in 30 seconds. And everyone should have the same story.

New management, less of those who matter.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Corbis as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance in IT is actually pretty reasonable, and the team genuinely cares about your livelihood outside of work.

Cons

Lack of direction in managing; projects with high budgets were cancelled suddenly, and their respective employees associated with them canned for little to no good reason.

There are far too many of you. Where layoffs are happening, Corbis is just hiring more management. It's a classic problem with a classic outcome.

Overrated - It looks beautiful on the outside

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Corbis full-time

Pros

Benefits, a Bill Gates Company, nice office, Great content and resources.

Cons

Management, Management, Management. Management has no idea what they are doing. The company is in a divide. Lay-offs every 6 months while they promote management. The CEO is a joke. He needs to step down and stop wasting peoples time with his own genius ideas. Did I mention how our technology is very old and broken? While the world moved on, we are still stuck in the Windows 95 stage. Even though we are a Bill Gates company, our technology is so old that it crashes all the time from the homepage, to the internal website, to emails, to phones. It's really frustrating but the company will not reinvest on the images side. They are focusing their time and energy on Gary's great idea - Entertainment.

It's not your employees fault, it's your fault. You need to fix what is on top and reinvest in your employees. The people below you are making the money, not you. Please be respectable.