Corbis

Updated January 23, 2015
2.3

Corbis President and CEO Gary Shenk
Gary Shenk

Pros
  • Great work / life balance and fulfilling work with good compensation (in 14 reviews)

• Corbis has good benefits and great work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management changes direction daily, running the company like Moe, Larry and Curly (in 15 reviews)

• Senior Management and the entire business vision, or rather lack of it (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, great company!

I have been working at Corbis full-time

Pros

Great work / life balance and fulfilling work with good compensation. If you like being part of the entertainment Industry this is a great place to start. Corbis has good of opportunities as the company is growing with new product launches.

Cons

thee have been lots of new people with mergers and acquisitions of new complementing companies and the new pieces don't always fit perfectly. There is a little bit of a disconnect between the layers of management and to much of a focus on new products while existing clients suffer as a result of less attention.

Company lacks direction

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Corbis full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Autonomy; stability; location; five words required here.

Cons

Little possibility for advancement; old technologies; protectionism by offices.

Accept change and encourage development.

No direction... No accountabilty.... No career advancement opportunities... No reason to even show up... Why bother!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Corbis full-time (more than a year)

Pros

After 25+ years and not a penny earned the doors are still open and the lights are on thanks to Uncle Bill.
    All you can drink drip coffee.
    Bi-Annual layoffs... trust me this can be a positive thing.
    Pay/Benefits were decent.

Cons

No profit so no money for upkeep.
    Demoralizing Bi-Annual layoffs.
    Management is useless.
    Good people leaving in droves.

Who are you kidding? Do everyone at Corbis a favor and just walk away... trust me they would be better off without you! and think of all the cost savings!!!

Do not work here. It is bad for your career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Corbis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working here but I am required to enter at least twenty words in my review.

Cons

I have no clue what some of the other recent reviews are talking about. This is a company that had no direction other than satisfying the whims of upper level management. There is no focus on profitability at this company. To make it worse, lip-service is given to profitability but the only strategy to make themselves profitable is to continue cutting staff. Things have been cut so much that Corbis already has trouble performing basic functions of a business, and more cuts are coming. (One major Con is that I can't give this company 0 stars.)

Be honest with yourselves and with the people that work for you. If you really don't care about making the company profitable let people know.

Has its ups and downs

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Corbis

Pros

Corbis has good benefits and great work-life balance. It is also nice to be surrounded by beautiful and inspiring photography all day, every day. Corbis will train, develop and promote some of their employees, but you have to be vocal and ask for it. You can get ahead if you make it happen.

Cons

The biggest challenge to working at Corbis is the semi-annual layoff cycle. With a few random layoffs thrown in for good measure. The turnover at Corbis is so high, that nothing can get accomplished. Constant changes in direction are unhelpful and demoralizing. Employees are dispirited and unengaged. Those employees that still try and newer employees who haven't yet lost hope, are overworked and fighting an uphill battle.

Pick a direction and stick to it. Recognize employees.

Great team of people to work with

I have been working at Corbis full-time

Pros

Department culture is great. Lot's of fresh ideas being thought up. Work life balance is amazing. Able to work from home on occasion. Opportunities to use work hours to help with community service projects.

Cons

Shifts in management occur frequently. The company seems to be still finding its rhythm, so there are still growing pains as the company pivots from strategy to strategy.

times are rough

I have been working at Corbis full-time

Pros

The best reason to work at corbis are the benefts.

Cons

Lack of transparency from everyone from manager level to upper management. There seem too be a lot of secretive lay-offs.

Happy I am here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Corbis full-time

Pros

Good benefits, small/mid size company provides lots of opportunities to make a big impact and lots of opportunity to learn and have personal growth. My manager gives me autonomy and support to make the decisions I need to make. Excellent work life balance. Fun events like ice cream socials, world cup games played on big screens etc.

Cons

Compensation is average to above average but there is real value in the work-life balance and work opportunities and benefits that help close that gap

Continue the commitment to be transparent

This company has its work cut out for it...

I have been working at Corbis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work with a group that is a nice blend of personalities. Benefits are good. Company has very good intentions.

Cons

Good intentions are not a sound business strategy (we know the road that good intentions is paved with). Constant shortfalls in revenue and focus on workforce reduction stress everyone out and make them afraid for their jobs.

Focus on growing the business and providing your teams with enough resources to make that a reality...not just a dream. (Pie in the sky, anyone?)

Great people, a well intentioned but challenging / challenged company

I worked at Corbis full-time

Pros

My peers and the mid-level managers are a pleasure to work with, have made many friends here. Benefits including healthcare and 401k are good. Office culture and values good.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are limited. Even though it is a relatively flat organization upper management generally distant / remote, plans and decisions tend to be made in a vacuum without consulting those who may actually have relevant insight.