Corbis Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

times are rough

I have been working at Corbis full-time

Pros

The best reason to work at corbis are the benefts.

Cons

Lack of transparency from everyone from manager level to upper management. There seem too be a lot of secretive lay-offs.

Has its ups and downs

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Corbis has good benefits and great work-life balance. It is also nice to be surrounded by beautiful and inspiring photography all day, every day. Corbis will train, develop and promote some of their employees, but you have to be vocal and ask for it. You can get ahead if you make it happen.

Cons

The biggest challenge to working at Corbis is the semi-annual layoff cycle. With a few random layoffs thrown in for good measure. The turnover at Corbis is so high, that nothing can get accomplished. Constant changes in direction are unhelpful and demoralizing. Employees are dispirited and unengaged. Those employees that still try and newer employees who haven't yet lost hope, are overworked and fighting an uphill battle.

Advice to Management

Pick a direction and stick to it. Recognize employees.

3. Great team of people to work with

I have been working at Corbis full-time

Pros

Department culture is great. Lot's of fresh ideas being thought up. Work life balance is amazing. Able to work from home on occasion. Opportunities to use work hours to help with community service projects.

Cons

Shifts in management occur frequently. The company seems to be still finding its rhythm, so there are still growing pains as the company pivots from strategy to strategy.

Happy I am here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Corbis full-time

Pros

Good benefits, small/mid size company provides lots of opportunities to make a big impact and lots of opportunity to learn and have personal growth. My manager gives me autonomy and support to make the decisions I need to make. Excellent work life balance. Fun events like ice cream socials, world cup games played on big screens etc.

Cons

Compensation is average to above average but there is real value in the work-life balance and work opportunities and benefits that help close that gap

Advice to Management

Continue the commitment to be transparent

6. This company has its work cut out for it...

I have been working at Corbis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with a group that is a nice blend of personalities. Benefits are good. Company has very good intentions.

Cons

Good intentions are not a sound business strategy (we know the road that good intentions is paved with). Constant shortfalls in revenue and focus on workforce reduction stress everyone out and make them afraid for their jobs.

Advice to Management

Focus on growing the business and providing your teams with enough resources to make that a reality...not just a dream. (Pie in the sky, anyone?)

Great people, a well intentioned but challenging / challenged company

I worked at Corbis full-time

Pros

My peers and the mid-level managers are a pleasure to work with, have made many friends here. Benefits including healthcare and 401k are good. Office culture and values good.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are limited. Even though it is a relatively flat organization upper management generally distant / remote, plans and decisions tend to be made in a vacuum without consulting those who may actually have relevant insight.

Overrated - It looks beautiful on the outside

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Corbis full-time

Pros

Benefits, a Bill Gates Company, nice office, Great content and resources.

Cons

Management, Management, Management. Management has no idea what they are doing. The company is in a divide. Lay-offs every 6 months while they promote management. The CEO is a joke. He needs to step down and stop wasting peoples time with his own genius ideas. Did I mention how our technology is very old and broken? While the world moved on, we are still stuck in the Windows 95 stage. Even though we are a Bill Gates company, our technology is so old that it crashes all the time from the homepage, to the internal website, to emails, to phones. It's really frustrating but the company will not reinvest on the images side. They are focusing their time and energy on Gary's great idea - Entertainment.

Advice to Management

It's not your employees fault, it's your fault. You need to fix what is on top and reinvest in your employees. The people below you are making the money, not you. Please be respectable.

Agreed, Just SAY NO!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Corbis full-time

Pros

Support staff is great and helpful.

Cons

Most execs are not friendly or helpful. Some don't even want you to ask questions when you need to. Seems some have a closed-door policy when it comes to support staff and view them as another number that can be easily replaced. I know some that can look you in the eye and lie without a second thought. If you have any issues, especially with any of the execs and/or upper management, don't count on HR to help you out. HR is there solely for the upper management and execs. People losing their job seemed like a daily occurrence around there. Staff doesn't feel secure and many are in fear of losing their job on a daily basis. And the budget, they can pay their execs high dollar but you ask for something and "it's not in the budget". Not a secure feeling working for a company like Corbis!

Advice to Management

Try to put yourself in the position of support staff - remember you were once there. You claim to be a transparent company, try living that and actually doing it.

corbis

Pros

good people, company heading in right direction

Cons

sometimes lacking collaboration, resources, focus

Advice to Management

invest

Just Say No to Corbis!

I worked at Corbis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Um, not really many pros left. They all left or got laid off, and the "pros" that remain are far under compensated or appreciated

Cons

1. Couldn't rate them zero starts 2. No budget to fix anything 3. Management has no direction or inspiration for their employees 4. Old outdated technology that continues to linger with no sings of it being replaced 5. No future 6. Delayed bonuses this year 7. Bonus "Target" is 10%, but has never been close to that sense I was there 8. Don't rehire positions once people leave 9. I'm tired of typing, just look at every other review, and then go apply somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Quit. Your not helping anything. There are to many chiefs and nobody to actually do the work. You can't hire more managers to get more work done. It doesn't work that way. Also, promote your staff. Dont keep making empty promises.

RSS Feed </> Embed