Corbis Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great people, a well intentioned but challenging / challenged company

I worked at Corbis full-time

Pros

My peers and the mid-level managers are a pleasure to work with, have made many friends here. Benefits including healthcare and 401k are good. Office culture and values good.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are limited. Even though it is a relatively flat organization upper management generally distant / remote, plans and decisions tend to be made in a vacuum without consulting those who may actually have relevant insight.

Overrated - It looks beautiful on the outside

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Corbis full-time

Pros

Benefits, a Bill Gates Company, nice office, Great content and resources.

Cons

Management, Management, Management. Management has no idea what they are doing. The company is in a divide. Lay-offs every 6 months while they promote management. The CEO is a joke. He needs to step down and stop wasting peoples time with his own genius ideas. Did I mention how our technology is very old and broken? While the world moved on, we are still stuck in the Windows 95 stage. Even though we are a Bill Gates company, our technology is so old that it crashes all the time from the homepage, to the internal website, to emails, to phones. It's really frustrating but the company will not reinvest on the images side. They are focusing their time and energy on Gary's great idea - Entertainment.

Advice to Management

It's not your employees fault, it's your fault. You need to fix what is on top and reinvest in your employees. The people below you are making the money, not you. Please be respectable.

Agreed, Just SAY NO!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Corbis full-time

Pros

Support staff is great and helpful.

Cons

Most execs are not friendly or helpful. Some don't even want you to ask questions when you need to. Seems some have a closed-door policy when it comes to support staff and view them as another number that can be easily replaced. I know some that can look you in the eye and lie without a second thought. If you have any issues, especially with any of the execs and/or upper management, don't count on HR to help you out. HR is there solely for the upper management and execs. People losing their job seemed like a daily occurrence around there. Staff doesn't feel secure and many are in fear of losing their job on a daily basis. And the budget, they can pay their execs high dollar but you ask for something and "it's not in the budget". Not a secure feeling working for a company like Corbis!

Advice to Management

Try to put yourself in the position of support staff - remember you were once there. You claim to be a transparent company, try living that and actually doing it.

corbis

I worked at Corbis

Pros

good people, company heading in right direction

Cons

sometimes lacking collaboration, resources, focus

Advice to Management

invest

Just Say No to Corbis!

I worked at Corbis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Um, not really many pros left. They all left or got laid off, and the "pros" that remain are far under compensated or appreciated

Cons

1. Couldn't rate them zero starts 2. No budget to fix anything 3. Management has no direction or inspiration for their employees 4. Old outdated technology that continues to linger with no sings of it being replaced 5. No future 6. Delayed bonuses this year 7. Bonus "Target" is 10%, but has never been close to that sense I was there 8. Don't rehire positions once people leave 9. I'm tired of typing, just look at every other review, and then go apply somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Quit. Your not helping anything. There are to many chiefs and nobody to actually do the work. You can't hire more managers to get more work done. It doesn't work that way. Also, promote your staff. Dont keep making empty promises.

ok

I have been working at Corbis

Pros

People are great to work with

Cons

Salary! They don't give raises

Advice to Management

reward good employees with better pay

rewarding for most of the seven years, but a disappointing end

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Corbis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

global company, global clients and team members

Cons

upper management, lack of communication, silos maintained

Advice to Management

in my exit interview, I commented on all of the content in this review to the hr specialist. communicate, communicate, communicate. the lack of communication varied department to department so if you were in one which did it well, you were better off. find out what your team does and value it. again, its about communication. tear down the silos that you talk about tearing down. it's listed a company value, but so often it was not the case in upper management. please get managers the training they need. being in that role does not always mean that they should be in that role.

From Thrilling to Utter Disappointment

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Corbis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people at low to mid levels, bus pass, decent benefits

Cons

Upper management changes direction daily, running the company like Moe, Larry and Curly. There are layoffs quarterly or "reduction in forces" necessary to accommodate perceived market fluidity or to make up for other oversights aka "experiments." Morale is suitably low. Goal setting/incentive process is an utter sham and in fact, the company arbitrarily changed the payout date so that although my goals were met for 2013, I did not receive the incentive. I worked my hardest and was left with a really bad feeling overall.

Advice to Management

Start treating people like people, not walking salaries. Focus. Focus. Focus.

10. Getting Better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Corbis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New management team in IT is helping the business build a true center of expertise around technology. Individual contributors are being recognized.

Cons

Tightly coupled historical base of systems makes it difficult to upgrade technology base. Salaries are average. No equity or options.

still churn'n and burn'n

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Corbis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good smart people and lots of problems too work on

Cons

expensive executive non-servant leader managers pent on driving you top down style

Advice to Management

find other employers

RSS Feed </> Embed