Corel Reviews

Updated September 2, 2014
Updated September 2, 2014
2.5

Tom Berquist

Corel is going down the drain.

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Corel

Pros

Flexible work environment where the results are the most important thing and not when you do it. I often telecommuted. Note: this was in the US and I do not think that other locations have as much flexibility. The pay was very competitive and benefits ok.

Cons

Corel is HQ in Canada with offices in Taiwan, US, and China. They have had many layoffs and have moved most development to Taiwan and China. They laid-off a very experienced team in the US and moved the development to a smaller team in Taiwan with less experience and little knowledge of the code base.

Not all engineers are equal. A person with extensive knowledge in the product space can not be replaced with another just because they cost less.

Some good people to work with but no directions

I worked at Corel full-time

Pros

- OK pay and benefits
    - Life/work balance
    - Some very bright and nice people to work with

Cons

- Constant layoffs
    - No vision/direction
    - Very short-sighted outsourcing stragtey from new management who has no idea about the the products are

It is easy to look at numbers and make calls on what you can see. It is harder to be couragous and taking-risk to head the company to the future growth. Without a mindset change, the company is going away sooner or later.

Seems to be going downhill

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Corel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Was able to work with some very good people
    Individual ideas and thinking are encouraged
    Compensation and benefits were fair

Cons

Position did not feel secure, as though at any point the position would be eliminated.
    There was not much enthusiasm about the product or product releases

Significant product inovation is needed to keep pace and move ahead of competitors.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No innovation left at this company. Constantly downsizing

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Corel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Competitive pay, Flexible scheduling, Good benefits

Cons

Declining revenue
    Poor executive management decisions
    Not innovative enough to keep afloat
    International work schedule
    Old products

Corel is not a place that innovation thrives

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Corel

Pros

Above average vacation time (hey it's a Canadian company!)
    They try to treat employees with respect (at least in North America)

Cons

It's a mix of many companies they acquired, plagued by poor management. If you're an innovative person looking for an exciting work, this place is not for you.

Think out of the box, get some innovative leaders, commodity business won't survive! You've lost so many chances already, could have been #1 on mobile multimedia apps.

Good place for learning technology but too hard working

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Corel

Pros

Good place for learning technology. A bunch of good engineers there to work with. All are hardworking and prefessional

Cons

Managers try to make you work over time most of the time. Don't have much chance to grow up management-wise.

The management should give employees opportunity to give feedback. More resource is moving to Taiwan so people start worrying on that

can be worse, but could be much better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Corel

Pros

Some interesting work, good technology, friendly and talented coworkers, reasonable benefits,

Cons

Limited opportunities for the future, work is not divided well between overseas offices, projects get moved to other groups with little notice, upper management only wants to make "safe" choices, leadership vacuum leads to lack of coordination among managers, upper management is too dependent on middle managers to know what is going on.

Keep non-manager employees more in the loop about what's going on, talking with each person to hear what they are doing. Also, allow people to take ownership of their work -- it's difficult to be motivated to make a long term investment in your project (work hard or be creative) knowing that your project may be taken away from you at any moment.

If you are a grunt level employee, don't bother, but if you are middle-high management, this place is for you.

Current Employee - Part of Grunt Level Manager  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Part of Grunt Level Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Corel

Pros

The roles are always evolving with market trend and market technology in the software multimedia space and Corel is the market leader in this particular market in many ways. Never boring and always learning (unless again, grunt level)

Cons

Very very top heavy for a small-medium sized company.

Consolidate each senior managements direction into one and negotiate with the holding interest in the back to make sure the goals are aligned. Too many directions and too many opinions leads to competitor stealing business away.

Tough times

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Corel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Atmosphere is relaxed and results-focussed. Managers are generally friendly. Lots of fun people. There isn't a lot of middle management with nothing to do but supervise people, so you're treated like an adult and left alone to do your job.

Cons

The company is currently being stripped for parts due to tough market conditions. Saw so many good people get let go over the years. Half the product portfolio now managed out of Austin so probably more job losses coming to Ottawa. It can be a good place to work and I know people who've had good career's there, but the threat of restructuring and layoffs is always around no matter how you perform.

I think they have their hands full trying to keep the place above water.

From a Philippine Support

Current Employee - Mpeg Software Engineer  in  Makati City (Philippines)
    Current Employee - Mpeg Software Engineer in Makati City (Philippines)

I have been working at Corel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only interesting experience I have gathered in this company is the camaraderie and friends that exists. Everything else goes to hell. Why I am still staying here? It is because of them.

Cons

The PH Team salary for public information has been UNCHANGED (and measly) for over 2 years. We have met the Quotas, we have made clients, we have satisfied clients in large chunks of the portfolio but management clamors for more. The savings and income went to WRONG DECISIONS such as buying another corporation which are NONSENSE. Motivation is NIL. Benefits are planned but perpetually (and) consistently delayed. We are entitled to 10 sick leaves per year, no carry overs and no conversion to cash for unused leaves. And for information of the public view, every time we are on sick leave, a memo is issued to explain after a Medical Certificate had been submitted already. What is it to explain? Should I bring the doctor to explain I am sick?

You should go back and school and re-take MGT101 again and again, concentrate your assignments on MOTIVATION. And as a reminder: BUYING ANOTHER COMPANY IS NOT A GAIN! Remember that, my goodness.

Worked for Corel? Contribute to the Community!