Corel

www.corel.com
Profile Unclaimed

We are all ambivalent, but we still show up for the team and products we love

I have been working at Corel full-time

Pros

- This is an amazing group of people. The best that you will ever work with. You will never work with another team like this.
    - The team is extremely talented, experienced and close. We all learn from each other and we all focus on releasing good products.
    - Awesome products with awesome users
    - We keep trying to make things better

Cons

- We are owned by private equity that has a deep value investment philosophy. 'nuff said
    - Opportunities for growth are irrelevant. Executives explicitly told us that they will not invest in R&D.
    - Constantly changing leadership. Every new guy tells you that he's the guy that actually cares.
    - A lot of talk and a lot of yes-men. But now even they are starting to turn negative.
    - The best talent keeps leaving
    - They tell us things when they're optimistic, then disappear when those things don't work out

I hope you consider the festering morale and attrition in your projections.

Great people, tough times

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Corel full-time

Pros

Great company to get started in the industry
    Fun products and projects
    Great coworkers
    Flexible hours. I can pretty much come in and out as I'd like, as long as I do my work and attend meetings.
    Flexibility to work from home occasionally
    Good ownership of your own work and freedom to explore other areas

Cons

Lots of politics
    Little room for career development as very rarely new openings are posted (internal or external)
    Low pay, practically no pay increases ever
    Little investment in innovation, most of the products are just trying to catch up to the industry
    Big disconnect between executive team and front line, lots of resentment towards executive team
    Layoffs constantly which impacts overall morale and fear for job security

the dogs bark, but the caravan goes on...

I have been working at Corel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- nice but unmotivated co-workers

Cons

- compensation
    - pointless political battles
    - crusades to prove people wrong

Clean house. Tenure is not a metric for expertise or management prowess. Managers manage. Leaders lead.

great co workers .. lousy compensation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Corel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Flexible work hours (*except in November*)
    - Great people to work with
    - Excellent work environment
    - Decent Benefits

Cons

-No Pay increases
    -No one in upper / middle management listens to ideas, thoughts or suggestions
    -Due to cutbacks and layoffs, you are expected to do the work of 5 people and catch hell when deadlines are not met

Consider paying your employees for what their worth, not what you think they should be paid.

Interesting projects, but unfocused upper management.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Corel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work on interesting projects, on a product you can show your Mom. Middle management is pretty good, and colleagues are generally intelligent and friendly.

Cons

Upper management is extremely cost-focused, to the detriment of the long-term health of the product(s) and employee morale. Current owners/investors are not interested in the day-to-day business of writing software.

Terrible management and non-stop layoffs

Former Employee - Product Manager in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Taipei (Taiwan)

I worked at Corel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very free culture and flexible schedule, before the 2012 mass layoff there were many cool and new systems and tools to learn and use for daily work projects, some very nice and friendly coworkers, etc.

Cons

The management team is horrible, especially some of the managers in Taiwan who are just lazy and have no sense of responsibility and no clue about what they are doing. Managers of the customer service team and IT team come to work in the late afternoon and leave work at 6 p.m. sharp, so other teams have to cover their work, such as taking phone calls and deal with user complaints and system issues. The executive team in the North America approve this kind of thing as long as they are served well when they visit the Taipei office. Non-stop layoffs and endless re-structuring make the company so hopeless. The Taipei office used to have over 400 people back in 2008 and now only 20 - what a joke.

Open your eyes please, do not destroy the company so fast. Treat your customers with respect!

Tough times

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Corel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Atmosphere is relaxed and results-focussed. Managers are generally friendly. Lots of fun people. There isn't a lot of middle management with nothing to do but supervise people, so you're treated like an adult and left alone to do your job.

Cons

The company is currently being stripped for parts due to tough market conditions. Saw so many good people get let go over the years. Half the product portfolio now managed out of Austin so probably more job losses coming to Ottawa. It can be a good place to work and I know people who've had good career's there, but the threat of restructuring and layoffs is always around no matter how you perform.

I think they have their hands full trying to keep the place above water.

From a Philippine Support

Current Employee - Mpeg Software Engineer in Makati City (Philippines)
    Current Employee - Mpeg Software Engineer in Makati City (Philippines)

I have been working at Corel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only interesting experience I have gathered in this company is the camaraderie and friends that exists. Everything else goes to hell. Why I am still staying here? It is because of them.

Cons

The PH Team salary for public information has been UNCHANGED (and measly) for over 2 years. We have met the Quotas, we have made clients, we have satisfied clients in large chunks of the portfolio but management clamors for more. The savings and income went to WRONG DECISIONS such as buying another corporation which are NONSENSE. Motivation is NIL. Benefits are planned but perpetually (and) consistently delayed. We are entitled to 10 sick leaves per year, no carry overs and no conversion to cash for unused leaves. And for information of the public view, every time we are on sick leave, a memo is issued to explain after a Medical Certificate had been submitted already. What is it to explain? Should I bring the doctor to explain I am sick?

You should go back and school and re-take MGT101 again and again, concentrate your assignments on MOTIVATION. And as a reminder: BUYING ANOTHER COMPANY IS NOT A GAIN! Remember that, my goodness.

I grew in my profession working at Corel

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Corel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very talented and open minded front line people to work with, lots to learn from them.
    Advanced and efficient processes.
    Very good products with passionate users.
    Flexibility in work hours as long as work gets done.

Cons

Some of the high level management has not proven strong leadership skills.
    People are often laid off on political reasons, overlooking the performance and importance of their role in the company. It can happen to anybody.
    Stressful environment to work in due to multiple layoffs, lack of trust in management and strategy and job uncertainty.

Focus on the company growth, product quality and the employees.

Cheap is already too expensive

I worked at Corel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Aged but nice products and good people

Cons

Riding nice products to death without any (or minimal) investment and basically no support, consumers are left with bugs and other issues no one cares about

Go get a more consumer-friendly strategy: acquiring companies and leeching off their brand value is a great ROI but will ultimately kill the company's reputation