Corel Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Terrible management and non-stop layoffs

Former Employee - Product Manager in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Taipei (Taiwan)

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very free culture and flexible schedule, before the 2012 mass layoff there were many cool and new systems and tools to learn and use for daily work projects, some very nice and friendly coworkers, etc.

Cons

The management team is horrible, especially some of the managers in Taiwan who are just lazy and have no sense of responsibility and no clue about what they are doing. Managers of the customer service team and IT team come to work in the late afternoon and leave work at 6 p.m. sharp, so other teams have to cover their work, such as taking phone calls and deal with user complaints and system issues. The executive team in the North America approve this kind of thing as long as they are served well when they visit the Taipei office. Non-stop layoffs and endless re-structuring make the company so hopeless. The Taipei office used to have over 400 people back in 2008 and now only 20 - what a joke.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes please, do not destroy the company so fast. Treat your customers with respect!

Tough times

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Atmosphere is relaxed and results-focussed. Managers are generally friendly. Lots of fun people. There isn't a lot of middle management with nothing to do but supervise people, so you're treated like an adult and left alone to do your job.

Cons

The company is currently being stripped for parts due to tough market conditions. Saw so many good people get let go over the years. Half the product portfolio now managed out of Austin so probably more job losses coming to Ottawa. It can be a good place to work and I know people who've had good career's there, but the threat of restructuring and layoffs is always around no matter how you perform.

Advice to Management

I think they have their hands full trying to keep the place above water.

From a Philippine Support

Current Employee - Mpeg Software Engineer in Makati City (Philippines)
    Current Employee - Mpeg Software Engineer in Makati City (Philippines)

I have been working at Corel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only interesting experience I have gathered in this company is the camaraderie and friends that exists. Everything else goes to hell. Why I am still staying here? It is because of them.

Cons

The PH Team salary for public information has been UNCHANGED (and measly) for over 2 years. We have met the Quotas, we have made clients, we have satisfied clients in large chunks of the portfolio but management clamors for more. The savings and income went to WRONG DECISIONS such as buying another corporation which are NONSENSE. Motivation is NIL. Benefits are planned but perpetually (and) consistently delayed. We are entitled to 10 sick leaves per year, no carry overs and no conversion to cash for unused leaves. And for information of the public view, every time we are on sick leave, a memo is issued to explain after a Medical Certificate had been submitted already. What is it to explain? Should I bring the doctor to explain I am sick?

Advice to Management

You should go back and school and re-take MGT101 again and again, concentrate your assignments on MOTIVATION. And as a reminder: BUYING ANOTHER COMPANY IS NOT A GAIN! Remember that, my goodness.

I grew in my profession working at Corel

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very talented and open minded front line people to work with, lots to learn from them. Advanced and efficient processes. Very good products with passionate users. Flexibility in work hours as long as work gets done.

Cons

Some of the high level management has not proven strong leadership skills. People are often laid off on political reasons, overlooking the performance and importance of their role in the company. It can happen to anybody. Stressful environment to work in due to multiple layoffs, lack of trust in management and strategy and job uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Focus on the company growth, product quality and the employees.

Cheap is already too expensive

I worked at Corel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Aged but nice products and good people

Cons

Riding nice products to death without any (or minimal) investment and basically no support, consumers are left with bugs and other issues no one cares about

Advice to Management

Go get a more consumer-friendly strategy: acquiring companies and leeching off their brand value is a great ROI but will ultimately kill the company's reputation

7. Disappointing because it could be so much more.

Current Employee - Senior Web Producer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Web Producer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Corel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are friendly and the hours are flexible. Some managers let you work from home once or twice a week.

Cons

Company is short sighted. The focus is always on revenue for THAT quarter. Lack of employee development along with annual layoffs make it a difficult place to succeed.

Advice to Management

Please consider investing in your employees and keep salaries in line with inflation.

very challenging, exciting but very low company appreciation of its employees

I have been working at Corel full-time

Pros

Interesting technology, amazing people to work with.

Cons

low investment in research and development. company owned by investment firm, all the care about is profitability

Advice to Management

show interest in what the teams are doing, reward people for their work. reinvest in research and development.

People are great but . . .

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Corel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best part of this company is the employees. A relaxed but professional environment combined with friendly staff makes going to work enjoyable. People, including middle management, are working hard, and everyone is treated with respect.

Cons

The worst thing about Corel is the VC ownership cloud hanging over it. The staff never knows when the next re-org is coming, so that ownership can take a little more money out of the company.

Advice to Management

You have a tough road ahead. Take the pulse of the worker bees more often. Keep being honest.

Great

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good place to start career

Cons

not a lot of direction

Good place to learn about business operations

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Taipei (Taiwan)

I worked at Corel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It demonstrates how a M&A based company runs a business.

Cons

It ignore core technology development. The organization changes frequently.

Advice to Management

Good luck to you.

RSS Feed </> Embed