Corinthian Colleges

Corinthian Colleges Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Corinthian Colleges Chairman and CEO Jack D. Massimino

Jack D. Massimino

Pros
  • Excellent pay and benefits while they last(in 6 reviews)

• Hardworking, dedicated employees, good benefits (but with high employee contribution)(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Sacrificing a bit on work-life balance may be needed to achieve personal growth(in 7 reviews)

• All upper management staff hire friends and colleagues to work for the company(in 9 reviews)

Less than stellar, but not all bad, that is if you like variances in levels of accountability.

Instructor (Current Employee) Salem, OR

ProsEasy come, easy go.
    No one rides you if you are competent.
    Campus president is a rock star.

ConsPay is poor compared to Community colleges
    Company values are inconsitent.
    Bait and switched with pay.
    Only focused on the bottom line, not whats ethical.
    Can't call in sick...

Advice to Senior ManagementComply with federal regulations and actually focus on doing whats right. Stop treating students as ATM's.

Educating the Uneducable

Online Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsA curriculum that can help low ability students if they are motivated.

ConsPressure to keep students in classes even when they don't want to be.
    Curriculum that changes every quarter.
    We're pressured to spend more time telephoning non-participating students than interacting with those who want to learn.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't enroll students in online programs who have difficulty reading. Have them complete the Wonderlic before they start an online class, not after; the low scorers should be redirected to something other than online classes.

Gain a lot of experience

Career Services Representative (Former Employee) West Los Angeles, CA

ProsBenefits and opportunities to learn new skills

ConsRarely giving overtime, difficult to transfer to another campus closer to you or to another position you feel you are more qualified for, raises and bonuses are punitive, lay offs are frequent.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within, communicate with the employees more effectively, layoffs are too frequent and make no sense when new schools are opening up every year. Raises are so small that employees are discouraged from working hard next year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Insightful

Instructor In Medical Assisting (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsHelping students to learn what they need to know about being successful on the job and watching them graduate and make a difference in their lives.

ConsWork-life balance can be improved by allowing instructors to have preparation/study time besides at home.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnough has been shared in the statements above to help.

They are very unhealthy as well as unethical.

ProsThey used to care for the employees and students. This is no longer the case. Employees now are fearful for the next string of rifs.

ConsManagement operates with fear as the higher ups are looking to please the shareholders. There are broken equipments and lack of supplies for the students due to budget cuts while management takes the visiting executives to five star restaurants and live it up with tuition money.

Employees are also expected to work nights, weekends and holidays.

Upper management forces the employees to lie to potential students in order to hit their enrollment quota. On many occasions I saw students that could not operate a computer or read their admissions paperwork, yet the student was pushed through only to be dropped a month later due to learning difficulties.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember your vision. If there is no integrity from the top what makes you think that you will have a healthy or even a profitable school?

Bad unethical regional admissions managment

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)

ProsMost employees are ethical hardworking and care. Good benefits

ConsUnethical corporate level Admissions regionals. Representatives are encouraged to engage in unethical practices by fear of retaliation and job security

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to CEO and share holders. Look into the Southern California regional admissions team . They are a click that all came from a campus that continuously misled students and practice and encourage falsifying documents. Anything for the enrollment.

Great School and Campus -Miserable Corporation/Irvine CA

ProsThere are many opportunities to be a positive influence in the lives of those trying to improve themselves.

ConsExample Scenario: Entire staff at campus level was informed that due to financial constraints, there will be no raises this year. One week later, two high level executives show up on campus to tour the school. They arrive at the front door in a chauffeured limousine. Typical behavior from the executives-GREED!

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave the company.

Corinthian Colleges....We have a problem!

Senior Developer (Current Employee) Santa Anita, CA

ProsLocation is good. In some areas they are ahead of the competition as far as technology.

ConsThe company is in a lot of trouble financially and legally. They are cutting costs like crazy which includes head count. The people that are left behind are forced to work their fingers to the bone. Management is always asking you to work on the weekends and holidays, but I never see them working on the weekends or available on the weekends, especially holiday weekends. They should be right in the trenches with us. Work life balance is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ask your employees to do something you are not willing to do yourself like work holidays and weekends then you take vacation or no where on the conference calls.

Disappointed, Under appreciated

(Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsThe people you work with are amazing. The benefits aren't bad.

ConsBad company ethics. Everything is truly about the bottom line. They don't truly care about the students. Executive Leadership is a disaster, especially the Dr. in charge of Online Education. Bad decisions are being made and the company is suffering. I am concerned about the students as they should be the primary focus.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house from the top down! Listen to your front-ling employees. They are the ones working directly with the students and really do have good suggestions. Show some appreciation for those employees while you are at it.

Challenging Work Environment

Career Services Representative (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsDecent benefits and a paycheck

ConsPrograms lacked market requirements making it difficult to place students once they completed the programs. The employer community didn't respect the programs and felt the students on externships were ill prepared. Programs too expensive and starting pay too low.

Advice to Senior ManagementOperate with some ethics! It's predatory lending for the disenfranchised in education!!! You lie to the employees and the students. Money and pushing the students through the programs is all that matters. Leadership lacks credentials! Promotions and advancement is based on who you know.

Worked for Corinthian Colleges? Contribute to the Community!