Corizon Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
2.1

Woodrow A. Myers, Jr., M.D.

Pros
  • Excellent company, very good responsive management, good benefits, good working condition and healthy environment (in 3 reviews)

• Competitive pay scale, reasonable benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management offsite are either clueless to how the sites are run or simply do not care (in 5 reviews)

• No training program that's effective, tons of turnover, many just don't show up w/ no notice (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Used to be a great place to work!

Current Employee - Overworked!  in  Bowling Green, MO
    Current Employee - Overworked! in Bowling Green, MO

I have been working at Corizon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pretty good benefits. Get a pay check every 2 weeks. Lots of PTO.

Cons

Management is terrible. Unethical things are reported and not followed up on, management is hired and placed with absolutely no correctional experience, new employees are not orientated properly, policys and procedures are not followed, when you report problems at sight level and they are not addressed you then take it further up the chain of command and it is still not addressed. CORIZON is a terrible company to work for and only worries about the $$$ bottom line $$$.

If CORIZON was run the way CMS used to be run you would be able to hire and retain staff. This company does not care about it's employees or the many challenges we face everyday. When there is a situation or problem brought to your attention, it should not be swept under the rug! Interview your floor nurses, pharmacy staff, dental staff, and medical records staff at the "problem facilities" (without the fear of retalliation-which we all have) and I guarantee these people who work the floor everyday will know all of the issues and have solutions to fix them!

Currently PRN post taking over the State of Florida

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Wewahitchka, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Wewahitchka, FL

I have been working at Corizon as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Salary is competitive and higher than most hospitals.

Cons

Benefits are very expensive although there are multiple options for coverage.

Be fair with duties assigned to staff on all shifts.

RN

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Hutchinson, KS
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Hutchinson, KS

I have been working at Corizon full-time for more than a year

Pros

The different levels of health/vision/dental insurance at different prices is nice. Allowing more medications to be issued to the inmates rather than them coming to med line for one dose at a time is nice.

Cons

Technology has taken a 20 year step backwards. A great deal of things we used to be able to do electronically are now done on paper and faxed. Who faxes any more?
    No local HCP on call any longer, only one doctor for the entire state who you cannot call directly. We have a call center to call and they get a hold of the doctor to call you back. Call center may or may not answer (I've been on hold for over 10 minutes in an emergency situation). If/when you do get a call back the doctor does not know the patient, unless you're lucky enough that your local doctor is the one on call, so a lot more time has to be spent talking about history.
    The formulary for medications changes constantly with more and more meds being placed in the non-formulary category so our options are less and less. Some medications go back and forth from formulary to non and back again and medical staff cannot keep current. They never tell us a medication has changed, we find out when we order it and get a message back that this medication is non-formulary so teeth will have to be pulled to get this med.
    When Corizon took over we lost all of our sick time (the leaving company paid us for our vacation time, but we lost the time). Sick leave, vacation, and holidays are now all combined and a great deal of the longer-term employees have considerably less PTO time.
    I could write a book in here. Corizon is an absolutely horrible company who cares not about patients or employees.

Say what you are going to do and do it. Employees can put up with about anything other than inconsistency and dishonesty.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible merger

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Hutchinson, KS
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Hutchinson, KS

I have been working at Corizon full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have a job. It's honestly difficult to say anything positive within the first 4 months of the merger. Boxes of stuff arrived with no direction or communication.

Cons

Poor communication, not enough focus on patient care and employee retention. Employee recognition is non existent at the local level and team work..what's that.

Stop micromanaging

lpn

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse

I have been working at Corizon full-time for more than a year

Pros

salary pretty decent however the insurance cost and deductibles are extremely high. so it evens out as apposed to working with the state..

Cons

staffing, management. no appreciation for the employees or a job well done. more focused on the negative.lack of reference new company with no training as to policies and proceedures.you are required to research this info but are not given the time to do so

staff accordingly...instead of constant threats of job loss. apply more teaching as needed talk with the nurses to find out what they feel like the company needs are

Poor management

Former Employee - CNA  in  Florence, AZ
    Former Employee - CNA in Florence, AZ

I worked at Corizon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay & hours are decent.

Cons

The management is more about "looking good" to corporate, & not concerned with the welfare of their employees that actually get the job down. You are always walking on eggshells, waiting for the next "shoe to drop".

Get managers in there (FHA, DON, ADON], that actually cares about staff, & is willing to listen sometimes, instead of threating you with yourjob.

No Strategic Direction, CEO is a Dictator and an Immature Leader

Current Employee - Leadership  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Leadership in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Corizon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some very good dedicated employees, market is ripe for a strong company to take on opportunities

Cons

Poor culture, lack of patient care focus, corporate is disconnecting with the field staff where the company should be focused on providing solutions

Get back to the basics of business/clinical management, build collaborative client relationships, show honest appreciation for your employees, invest in key pillars of the organization to advance strategic initiatives!!!

You're either a prison nurse or you're not

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Bonne Terre, MO
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Bonne Terre, MO

I worked at Corizon part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is great. I made $10 more an hour than if I worked at a hospital. Everyday is different. Shifts are only 8 hours. This is great if you have kids or need to make appointments. You'll realize you have a prison "family" (staff) and a street "family". You'll get experience in ER, critical care, med/surg, triage, emergency response, pharmacy and Sick Call. You'll learn how to think for yourself and make decisions based on your nursing skills and expertise.

Cons

Management only cares about themselves. They are rude and hateful about 95% of the time. The other 5%, they are nice because they want something from you. Watch out if you say no. Safety is not their concern. I had a violent inmate, who was known for staff assault, decide I was going to be his next victim and verbally announced it. I asked to be moved to another area until he "forgot" me. I was told to deal with it (this included an eye roll and dirty sneer). I loved my job and never thought I would be anything other than a correctional nurse. It hurt my feelings that they would treat me like that after the years I put in and the extra shifts I picked up to get them out of a jam. I hated to leave, but my safety was more important.

Get off your butts and help! If we are short-staffed, you pick the slack up. You all have Nursing Degrees, so use them. Just because you have DON, ADON, AADON, or Charge Nurse behind your name, doesn't mean you don't have to work. Also, if the other staff has to clock in & out for a 30 minute lunch, then so do you. The 2 hour lunches are ridiculous, especially when there is a crisis and all members of management have left the premises without telling anyone.

The company is good but the management is clueless.

I worked at Corizon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits. flexible scheduling

Cons

Too Many managers. policy and procedure changes by word of mouth and nothing in writing. Non medical managers don't understand what we do.

Listen to your employees. Don't take complaints as whining. Understand it means that change is needed. Use another system to inform employees besides word of mouth

Change in leadership philosophy

Former Employee - Vice President Operations  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Vice President Operations in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Corizon full-time for less than a year

Pros

The have a decent pay scale

Cons

Jobs are subject to contract term with client, usually 2-5 years.

Worked for Corizon? Contribute to the Community!