Corky McMillin

Updated Feb 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark McMillin

Good Place to work when homes are selling

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Corky McMillin full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmall company with a family atmosphere

ConsPay is below industry standard

Has its ups and downs

Administrative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Corky McMillin full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBeautiful offices at Liberty Station. Colleagues are great. Pretty flexible as far as coming and going. Most senior managers don't micro-manage.

ConsA lot of sacred cows. Family owned and operated -- so if you're related or have a lot of past history with one, you've got it made in the shade. If not, you tend to be overworked and underpaid (to make up for the former, that don't do much and are WAY overpaid). Hard on those with a great work ethic to see other skating by doing nothing and getting paid well.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee cons, above. That should cover it.

Small Family Owned Business. They always do the right thing.

Storm Water Field Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Corky McMillin full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBeing involved on a winning team. They have an open door policy with the entire upper management.

ConsSometimes I worked long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the lines of communication open.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This used to be a nice place to work and somewhere to be proud of but hard times showed their true colors

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Corky McMillin

ProsNice offices, tight knit group of coworkers
Very generous salary and benefits
Team building activities, holiday parties and generous paid time off, holiday pay
Flexible work hours and good work/life balance
My original manager genuinely cared about my well being, highly professional and was a motivator that earned a lot of respect within this industry
Top notch real estate agents-very professional and well loved by their clients

ConsOnce the real estate market went through it's downturn there was a lot of reorganization-which is understandable-however the changes were not effectively communicated to employees-that led to a lot of uncertainty and stress
Favorites were definitely showed greated consideration by upper management, even when they were not necessarily the top performers or the most knowledgeable
The company used to be a very reputable name in the community, but over time I felt that there was a lot of negativity felt towards them
A lot of layoffs, some of which were jobs that were necessary and employees who had been long term-in the down turn understandable, yet during that time, management, including owners brought in their own friends and family members to come to work-not the right message to send when others had to face unemployment
Management did not do much to improve morale of remaining employees during periods of lay offs

Advice to Senior ManagementThe general managers do what they can and are probably overworked and tired from all the changes and layoffs over the last few years. However, upper management-I would say to you that your communication, honesty and integrity needs to be addressed. Many employees were overlooked or laid off without you truly realize the value of their work and skills. I bellieve that with better decisions and more conservative spending on your part, more jobs could have been saved.

Great company that has fallen on hard times; not a good place to work at the present time (i.e. 2008-2009).

Land Development Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Corky McMillin

ProsGood work environment, they generally treat people very fairly. Very new & clean work environment (office). There is potential to make money in a positive real estate market. Discount benefits that come with working for a homebuilder.

ConsA real estate downturn, like the one we are in now will very likely lead to loss of employment. Also, the company tends to pay people less than what the market usually bears, but this could be attributed to an excessively large staff which makes you not have to work 60-80 hours per week. Most people work a 40-50 hour week.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a little more aggressive with taking risk.

If you need a job, take it, otherwise pass.

Project Engineer (Former Employee)
Visalia, CA

I worked at Corky McMillin

ProsThe people in the Visalia Office are a great group of people to work with and make coming to work enjoyable.

ConsThe decisions are all made out of the Corporate Office in Southern California, so you can receive an award one week and be let go the following. This also creates issues with the corporate office not knowing who is doing what within the separate divisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better communication with the division employees and get a better understanding of who is doing what. The decisions are made from 300 miles away and the employees in other divisions can tell.

An invigorating experience.

I have been working at Corky McMillin

ProsGain experience in your field.
Great benefits and pay
Co workers are reasonable and managers are too
Get to work in some beautiful houses

ConsGet to work in some not so beautiful houses
The work requires a lot of thinking
People are scrupulous with the landscaping of their homes

Advice to Senior ManagementIncreasing pay is always good. We need to expand and advertise homes that we have remodeled are custom-built so that people are aware of how great our homes can be.

Worked for Corky McMillin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Corky McMillin reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Corky McMillin CEO Mark McMillin. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Corky McMillin employees.