Corky McMillin

Updated January 17, 2015
Updated January 17, 2015
3.6

Mark McMillin

Good Place to work when homes are selling

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Corky McMillin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small company with a family atmosphere

Cons

Pay is below industry standard

McMillin

Current Employee - Network Security Officer in Bonita, CA
    Current Employee - Network Security Officer in Bonita, CA

I have been working at Corky McMillin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity many different technologies to learn from and experience. Daily routines are never boring and technical staff is easy to work with.
    A great place to become experieced with several different technologies.

Cons

The central business is real estate but the main interest of the McMillin's is off road racing. If you are not interested in being a part of weekend trips to off road racing courses it will be held against you. Now this was several years ago and things may have changed since that time.

Has its ups and downs

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Corky McMillin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful offices at Liberty Station. Colleagues are great. Pretty flexible as far as coming and going. Most senior managers don't micro-manage.

Cons

A lot of sacred cows. Family owned and operated -- so if you're related or have a lot of past history with one, you've got it made in the shade. If not, you tend to be overworked and underpaid (to make up for the former, that don't do much and are WAY overpaid). Hard on those with a great work ethic to see other skating by doing nothing and getting paid well.

See cons, above. That should cover it.

Small Family Owned Business. They always do the right thing.

Former Employee - Storm Water Field Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Storm Water Field Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Corky McMillin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Being involved on a winning team. They have an open door policy with the entire upper management.

Cons

Sometimes I worked long hours.

Keep the lines of communication open.

This used to be a nice place to work and somewhere to be proud of but hard times showed their true colors

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Corky McMillin

Pros

Nice offices, tight knit group of coworkers
    Very generous salary and benefits
    Team building activities, holiday parties and generous paid time off, holiday pay
    Flexible work hours and good work/life balance
    My original manager genuinely cared about my well being, highly professional and was a motivator that earned a lot of respect within this industry
    Top notch real estate agents-very professional and well loved by their clients

Cons

Once the real estate market went through it's downturn there was a lot of reorganization-which is understandable-however the changes were not effectively communicated to employees-that led to a lot of uncertainty and stress
    Favorites were definitely showed greated consideration by upper management, even when they were not necessarily the top performers or the most knowledgeable
    The company used to be a very reputable name in the community, but over time I felt that there was a lot of negativity felt towards them
    A lot of layoffs, some of which were jobs that were necessary and employees who had been long term-in the down turn understandable, yet during that time, management, including owners brought in their own friends and family members to come to work-not the right message to send when others had to face unemployment
    Management did not do much to improve morale of remaining employees during periods of lay offs

The general managers do what they can and are probably overworked and tired from all the changes and layoffs over the last few years. However, upper management-I would say to you that your communication, honesty and integrity needs to be addressed. Many employees were overlooked or laid off without you truly realize the value of their work and skills. I bellieve that with better decisions and more conservative spending on your part, more jobs could have been saved.

Great company that has fallen on hard times; not a good place to work at the present time (i.e. 2008-2009).

Former Employee - Land Development Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Land Development Project Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Corky McMillin

Pros

Good work environment, they generally treat people very fairly. Very new & clean work environment (office). There is potential to make money in a positive real estate market. Discount benefits that come with working for a homebuilder.

Cons

A real estate downturn, like the one we are in now will very likely lead to loss of employment. Also, the company tends to pay people less than what the market usually bears, but this could be attributed to an excessively large staff which makes you not have to work 60-80 hours per week. Most people work a 40-50 hour week.

Get a little more aggressive with taking risk.

If you need a job, take it, otherwise pass.

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Visalia, CA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Visalia, CA

I worked at Corky McMillin

Pros

The people in the Visalia Office are a great group of people to work with and make coming to work enjoyable.

Cons

The decisions are all made out of the Corporate Office in Southern California, so you can receive an award one week and be let go the following. This also creates issues with the corporate office not knowing who is doing what within the separate divisions.

Have better communication with the division employees and get a better understanding of who is doing what. The decisions are made from 300 miles away and the employees in other divisions can tell.

An invigorating experience.

I have been working at Corky McMillin

Pros

Gain experience in your field.
    Great benefits and pay
    Co workers are reasonable and managers are too
    Get to work in some beautiful houses

Cons

Get to work in some not so beautiful houses
    The work requires a lot of thinking
    People are scrupulous with the landscaping of their homes

Increasing pay is always good. We need to expand and advertise homes that we have remodeled are custom-built so that people are aware of how great our homes can be.