Cornell University Reviews

435 reviews filtered by
4.2
Cornell University President David J. Skorton
David J. Skorton

Pros
  • Most department have a really good work / life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits including educational and wellness opportunities (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Ithaca is cold and is in the middle of nowhere (in 8 reviews)

• Small town and in which when the school lets out gets even smaller (in 11 reviews)

1. Excellent place to work, even as a student

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Cornell University

Pros

We had a very flexible work schedule, so I could set my own schedule each week. I liked my supervisor and the work I was doing.

Cons

The timecards are submitted mid week each week which makes planning out hours strange trying to stay below the maximum I was allowed to work each week.

2. Cornell is an extremely well run university. Much respect is shown to everyone in the Cornell community...

Former Employee - Senior Administrator in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Administrator in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Cornell University

Pros

idyllic location, respect for employees, integrity in all dealings. One of the best universities in the country to work at if you are over 50 years old.

Cons

Cornell is in upstate ny where the winters are long and hard. Ithaca and Cornell are very liberal communities.

Continue to make Cornell the best employer in the world of universities. Pay bonuses to staff who deserve them.

3. grad student

Former Employee - PhD Research Assistant in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - PhD Research Assistant in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Cornell University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

very good! our Cs facilities were great and it was a great place to learn to do good research. good funding for work and fun.

Cons

of course being in Ithaca can be challenging due to the harsh winters. but you figurei to ut, you deal.

overall pretty good, i'm not sure what else could be improved. unless you can chagne the weather and location :) the new tech campus should actually address that.

5. Intern position at CU

Former Employee - Intern in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Cornell University

Pros

The staff at CU are so friendly and they are patient with teaching you the systems used daily like PeopleSoft. Everyone works in a similar time frame here so you know you'll be pretty much in by 8:00 AM and out by 4:30 PM.

Cons

Since the school is well-known and the town is small, there's not a real drive in some of the staff to go above and beyond since there's strong job security here. That's really not a problem unless you're someone who wants to move up quickly.

6. Fun jobs as a student

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Cornell University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, but overall fantastic leadership and a very supportive, kind community. I love it here. The community is intelligent and the surroundings are beautiful

Cons

There's a large bureaucracy above you at all times, and trying to change or innovate tends to be met with a fair amount of resistance.

Be more agile in practices, and make sure that innovation is not quashed. Sometimes the set ways of doing things can get in the way of something that could change your operations.

7. Too much management and too little opportunity!

Current Employee - Non-Management in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Non-Management in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Cornell University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are on par with other comparable educational facilities which is very nice. The University also offers flex working hours which will help families that need to be at home in mornings or early afternoons to help young children get on/off the school bus.

Cons

Pay scale is below national average, below comparable educational facilities, and below what can be considered as cost of living in this region. Taxes from being in New York State are monstrous and detrimental. Roads fail every winter causing high vehicle maintenance. Winter road salt corrodes your vehicles to a point where they need replacement every 4-7 years. Working for the University and wanting to park on university will cost you for a parking permit beginning at $350 per month. Don't ever park in the wrong place or you will receive a parking ticket beginning at $75 per infraction. No discounts for family of faculty of staff to attend the university. Job related training is reserved for a select few who typically management. Professional organization memberships and training opportunities are discouraged by management.

WAY too many managers and upper management, all cutting costs and the employees who are actually performing the jobs necessary to do anything further than minimally "keeping the lights on." Multiple years of cut budgets low pay raises, releasing of non-management employees, are not a way to keep people happy or functional. This "Ivy League" university may soon face a failure which will put a black mark on the reputation that will survive for decades.

8. Excellent place to work

Former Employee - Research Aide in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Research Aide in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Cornell University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Retirement contribution good, healthcare excellent, amazing opportunities for education (I got my MA while working -- for free! and took other classes on the side), flexibility, work-life balance, coworkers/general community full of intellectuals. Obviously it depends on what job you are working for a lot of these things, but I was a research aide (and alumnus). Ithaca is a very reasonably priced place to live.

Cons

It's removed from most cities (so con for some, pro for others).

9. This was a tremendous learning experience, it exposed me to cultures for which I was unfamiliar previously.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Cornell University

Pros

Working with the residents proved joyous beyond what I could have expected. While this was a diverse population, I learned that all people have the same need.....to be treated with respect and love.

Cons

Administration proved that problems which begin at the top are followed throughout the entire company. There was a lack of communication and trust.

Treat your employees like you would like to be treated. The lack of benefits (not only monetary) but recognition for hard work was never a priority, and should have been. Those working in the nursing home environment work very hard and should receive recognition through benefits.

10. Great place to stary graduate/ post doc work

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Cornell University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice, beautiful place with full of expertise from all major subjects

Cons

I do not have any cons about COrnell University

Great management team. nice to work with

11. Excellent Community!

Current Employee - Facilities
    Current Employee - Facilities

I have been working at Cornell University

Pros

The office culture is very caring and communal. The resources are vast and everyone is eager to help each other!

Cons

The complex politics in this large organization understandably slow decision-making and project execution.

Cornell University Photos