Corner Bakery Cafe

Corner Bakery Cafe CEO Mike Hislop

Mike Hislop

Cashier

Cashier (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFriendly people, nice managers and coworkers

ConsLong work and lots of time on your feet

So far so good.

Restaurant Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsStrong Team. Supervisor is fair and fun to work with and for. Quality of life is good. Chance for advancement a plus.

ConsNo benefits, no pay increase in over a year, way below average salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall doing great on corporate level but give advisement to your franchisees to reward hard work with regular performance increases.

Rewarding experience.

ProsTis restaurant definitely gives you a vast amount of hours to work.

ConsFinancial rewards are definitely not as high as other restaurants.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Busy, tiring, overworked, but had a blast.

Server (Former Employee) Fountain Valley, CA

ProsWhen I was here, I performed all front of house roles. Everyone was friendly, and everyone was friends with each other. That's what made it fun. Nice 50% employee discount, with free soft drinks. Work was never boring, and it's a great place to train in the food industry, because despite the many tasks & responsibilities, you can move on somewhere else and find it to be a piece of cake in comparison.

ConsA LOT of physical work, you need to be able to lift. it will keep you pretty active. Rush hours can become difficult, as it's usually understaffed.

It's okay.

Server (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThey work with my school schedule, which is the reason I stay.

ConsPoor management. Pay isn't good, and staff only gets one raise per year, usually a raise of 1%.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou keep hiring for management positions outside of the company instead of moving employees up, making the staff and management apathetic. Much of the in-store management are just there for the money. They have no interest in seeing the store succeed.

It's a job if you need one

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIts a fun environment when its run correctly

ConsNO work life balance and schedules are written with no end times to reflect just that .

Solid company with growth prospects that needs time to get it right.

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsA great vision with a structured system for advancement to general manager. Systems in place to ensure success.

ConsThough the vision is solid, the execution is lacking. To do the job properly as a manager, you will be pulling 14 hour days 6 days a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementThough it is coming, a greater emphasis on back office systems to help out managers on a store level. Implement an online testing system to filter out low quality applicants. More research and planning has to be done before you open a new location, and more time is required to get a solid management team in place, including catering.

Its okay

Serving Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsUnlimited lemonade
    Friendly co-workers
    Scheduling is not too demanding

ConsNo breaks
    No meals
    No leftovers
    Rude managers
    Rude customers

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the pole out

Corner Bakery is a youthful and high-stress environment.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsI always enjoy working with my coworkers. It is a fun environment in that sense. The food is well-prepared and the expiration labels ensure fresh ingredients. I feel good about eating there during my breaks.

ConsThe stress is overwhelming, especially when some coworkers are not motivated enough to fulfill all of their job duties. I regularly do things that aren't a part of my job because I believe in working to make the bakery run to its full potential. Though I don't expect anything in return, I don't appreciate management's consistent demands to do things that aren't included in my job title while getting absolutely no acknowledgement in what I do to help out. My motivation decreases each shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that it's a great company to work for in terms of their culture and values. However, these values become lost in the day-to-day operations of having to work in a high-stress environment. My suggestion would be to implement bi-monthly meetings that rotate among organizational values the company already believes in so employees are regularly reminded. I believe this might also boost morale.

Great place to learn fundamental skills required for effective management.

Associate Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFree food for managers, great corporate support

ConsLong hours stuck in the store; long, never-ending lines of customers; needy, dependent teenage staff, emphasis on perfection from upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone from the dishwasher to the GM with the utmost respect. Do not demand perfection, but rather praise employees for doing their best work and improving on challenging issues they overcome.

Worked for Corner Bakery Cafe? Contribute to the Community!