Corner Bakery Cafe

Updated September 8, 2014
2.8

Corner Bakery Cafe CEO Mike Hislop
Mike Hislop

Interesting, Fun, Lots and Lots of Work....

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Encino, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Encino, CA

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere, GM and other managers very personable, half off of food with special comps if your manager sees you working really hard and going above expectations. Other employees are fun and interesting.

Cons

Managers rarely watch the clock to make sure you make it out on time, i.e. never knowing what time you actually get to clock out. The work week schedule is never posted until the night before. Also, at closing the cashiers have the biggest job, which should actually be split between 2 or 3 people... too much to do. Never get caught with a closing shift!

Please take more effort to watch the clock, knowing when you go home would be appreciated. Please keep your personal fun at home and business in the office, meaning, don't stay on your cell phone or chit chat when we need help. Also, not everything is a priority, please don't say that wrapping apples is a priority then get angry if the customer is waiting for 10 seconds then get angry again for not wrapping the apples. There are priorities but they must be manageable.

Lots of work for little pay, but friendly staff and nice managers

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Highland Village, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Highland Village, TX

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good if you like to work with people and stay busy. The company is pretty classy and has a certain style that all employees maintain

Cons

Bad if you don't like to work with people too much. The only way to get a raise is to learn a completely new position, and I already feel like I'm working 2 positions, because I get "borrowed" for other positions that I wasn't hired as. Not really worth the raise amount to learn a new position.

very complicated non friendly systems

Former Employee - Ex General Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Ex General Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time for more than a year

Pros

great atmosphere and co workers

Cons

very very extremely un organized

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good group of people

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe

Pros

Coworkers were friendly and in the majority of the cases ready to help you

Cons

Long hours. Difficult to balance with free time if you are looking that.

Talk with your employees. They have a lot to say. At the end they are all day in the front desk knowing what costumers want.

Mismanaged

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time for less than a year

Pros

I met some great coworkers at my location, but the restaurant was mismanaged and highly understaffed. On the other hand, the pastries were downright fantastic.

Cons

The "regular" managers were actually as personable as the fellow servers/cooks/etc., but the general manager (in charge of the restaurant as a whole) struck me as disconnected, and hardly empathetic. This might not have been his own fault, though, as the restaurant was poorly staffed (one person responsible for the roles of far too many people, etc.). That can make for some pretty stressed out supervisors.

Appreciate the work of the servers/cooks/other hourly employees; at the end of the day, these are the faces with whom the guests will interact, and it's not in anyone's best interests for them to (understandably) come across as grumpy and overworked.

Corner bakery is a joke

Former Employee - Server  in  Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Orange, CA

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the co workers were amazing, the guests were awesome.
     If you like to be lazy and management not care then this is the place for you to work.

Cons

Lazy co workers, management doesn't care, understaffed, doesn't matter how much experience you have you will still get 50 cents above minimum, to them that's "competitive".
    If someone doesn't show up for a shift be prepared to pick up their slack bc they aren't calling someone else in. False promises. Lack of training, they will put it on the employees to train the newbies and not even pay them extra for training those newbies, especially when it should be a trainer doing that job. That's what trainers get paid to do.

My advice is do your job. You try to make everyone like you instead of doing your job and improving the store. If you take care of your employees needs, then they will take care of your store, generating more sales. Get some proper training programs. Don't tell employees what they want to hear just to get them off your back. Don't promise something you can't commit to. Don't overload the employees with extra work if someone calls out, either call someone in or have a manager fill that spot like they should do.

Another corporate cafe

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe

Pros

All the employees seemed really happy, and management is willing to take a chance on anyone.

Cons

This is a corporation, meaning there is no leeway, no incentive for initiative, no direct oversight or feedback system. It's a place to get money, not a place to enjoy being.

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly people, nice managers and coworkers

Cons

Long work and lots of time on your feet

interview

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time for less than a year

Pros

the manager asked what hourly rate I was looking for. He only offered 50 cents over minimum wage

Cons

mostly men in management, pay is just minimum wage, hourly. ridiculous
    slave drivers

pay your experienced employees better, and they would want to work for you.

So far so good.

Current Employee - Restaurant Assistant Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Restaurant Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong Team. Supervisor is fair and fun to work with and for. Quality of life is good. Chance for advancement a plus.

Cons

No benefits, no pay increase in over a year, way below average salary.

Overall doing great on corporate level but give advisement to your franchisees to reward hard work with regular performance increases.

Worked for Corner Bakery Cafe? Contribute to the Community!