Corner Bakery Cafe

Updated October 17, 2014
2.7

Corner Bakery Cafe CEO Mike Hislop
Mike Hislop

Pros
  • Good working environment, get to meet interesting people, and always a new challenge waiting to be tackled (in 4 reviews)

• Half-off discount on food and free drinks (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect to work long hours in very busy stores (in 6 reviews)

• Co-workers have drama, too much work for little pay, food way too over priced for how much they spend to make it (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome & Helpful

Current Employee - Baker, Dish, Cashier, Server, Catering in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Baker, Dish, Cashier, Server, Catering in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is great, the training helps in any other job field, and some of the best management I've had in my work career. If your looking for growth this is the place

Cons

There is a lot of drama on morning shifts, but it's best to do your job and help fellow bread heads!

We are a family, maybe management shouldn't be moved around so often. They are our inspiration.

Foot in the door

Current Employee - Restaurant Assistant Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Restaurant Assistant Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

easy way to get management experience

Cons

long hours, poor schedule, poor benefits

make it more appealing for long term employment (401K, better pay, vacation time)

Wonderful Staff

Former Employee - Cashier in Peoria, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Peoria, AZ

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very consistent work environment and the staff is always positive. The management was also very helpful in the beginning when I was interested in being hired.

Cons

Seeing as it was only a part-time it was a little hard to get time off, but this is normal for the job I held.

Interesting, Fun, Lots and Lots of Work....

Current Employee - Cashier in Encino, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Encino, CA

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, GM and other managers very personable, half off of food with special comps if your manager sees you working really hard and going above expectations. Other employees are fun and interesting.

Cons

Managers rarely watch the clock to make sure you make it out on time, i.e. never knowing what time you actually get to clock out. The work week schedule is never posted until the night before. Also, at closing the cashiers have the biggest job, which should actually be split between 2 or 3 people... too much to do. Never get caught with a closing shift!

Please take more effort to watch the clock, knowing when you go home would be appreciated. Please keep your personal fun at home and business in the office, meaning, don't stay on your cell phone or chit chat when we need help. Also, not everything is a priority, please don't say that wrapping apples is a priority then get angry if the customer is waiting for 10 seconds then get angry again for not wrapping the apples. There are priorities but they must be manageable.

Lots of work for little pay, but friendly staff and nice managers

Current Employee - Cashier in Highland Village, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Highland Village, TX

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good if you like to work with people and stay busy. The company is pretty classy and has a certain style that all employees maintain

Cons

Bad if you don't like to work with people too much. The only way to get a raise is to learn a completely new position, and I already feel like I'm working 2 positions, because I get "borrowed" for other positions that I wasn't hired as. Not really worth the raise amount to learn a new position.

very complicated non friendly systems

Former Employee - Ex General Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Ex General Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great atmosphere and co workers

Cons

very very extremely un organized

Horrible! Lost more than half of the staff in a matter of weeks. Lied to employees and abusive to employees.

Current Employee - Cook in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Cook in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Other than possibly getting paid... NOTHING!

Cons

Worst owners ever, extremely unprofessional, who think and act like they are better then the employees. Not to mention talking down to them. Management makes rules that they can't even follow. What happened to lead by example? They can't even pay the employees correctly, and when you confront them, they give you the run around. The schedule is always wrong, not by one or two days. The company value is supposed to be family-friendly, but it's anything but. Took our free meals away because management didn't keep up with it. Employee parking is a half a mile away across one of the busiest interstate. Even the lower management regrets working here, but cannot do anything because they signed a contract.

Lead by example. Be respectful to others. Take some classes on professionalism. Learn how to communicate. Not only to other employees but with customers and payroll.

Good group of people

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe

Pros

Coworkers were friendly and in the majority of the cases ready to help you

Cons

Long hours. Difficult to balance with free time if you are looking that.

Talk with your employees. They have a lot to say. At the end they are all day in the front desk knowing what costumers want.

Worst place to work ever

Former Employee - Server in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

not many pros here , half off on food was ok coworkers were friendly and fun (some) not all, very, very few good managers

Cons

at this place get ready to do the job of three people at once, all they care about is making money opening stores all over the country very poor management they undervalue and not appreciate hard work, will work you to the bone for very little pay wont get a raise unless you cross train and learn a new position for them to even use you more for a 10 cent raise a year is just a joke like really? I have seen good managers, servers ,cashiers etc.. leave after a month a month! of working here just so you know how bad this place is.Most managers just stand around or sit in the office eat gossip and look at their phones all day while there's a line out the door then come out and expect everything to be perfect seriously? Employees gossip a lot with some managers too don't respect your personal life there's favoritism with employees that don't even work as hard as you do,they will cut your hours if the "sales" are low of course the sales are low when all the managers do is give people free food whenever they come up to the counter and pretend their food took too long as I said all they care about is making money and when they do schedule you, you end up doing the jobs of three other people becuz they're under staffed all the time I mean they should just close down find a new concept and learn to appreciate your loyal employees hard work especially when they been working there for years

Do your job and not just come out and pretend like you are working when the area directors are around. be polite to your employees,set an example.

Corner bakery is a joke

Former Employee - Server in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Orange, CA

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some of the co workers were amazing, the guests were awesome.
     If you like to be lazy and management not care then this is the place for you to work.

Cons

Lazy co workers, management doesn't care, understaffed, doesn't matter how much experience you have you will still get 50 cents above minimum, to them that's "competitive".
    If someone doesn't show up for a shift be prepared to pick up their slack bc they aren't calling someone else in. False promises. Lack of training, they will put it on the employees to train the newbies and not even pay them extra for training those newbies, especially when it should be a trainer doing that job. That's what trainers get paid to do.

My advice is do your job. You try to make everyone like you instead of doing your job and improving the store. If you take care of your employees needs, then they will take care of your store, generating more sales. Get some proper training programs. Don't tell employees what they want to hear just to get them off your back. Don't promise something you can't commit to. Don't overload the employees with extra work if someone calls out, either call someone in or have a manager fill that spot like they should do.