Corner Bakery Cafe Reviews

Reset
2.7
Corner Bakery Cafe CEO Mike Hislop
Mike Hislop

Pros
  • Good working environment, get to meet interesting people, and always a new challenge waiting to be tackled (in 4 reviews)

• The employee discount was good, better than other restaurants (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, poor schedule, poor benefits (in 7 reviews)

• mostly men in management, pay is just minimum wage, hourly (in 3 reviews)

1. I loved working at Corner Bakery!

Former Employee - Caterer in Murray, UT
    Former Employee - Caterer in Murray, UT

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, good environment of teamwork

Cons

Raises only happen once a year; At the time, this location was understaffed which was a bit stressful.

2. Worked hard, payed minimally.

Pros

The guests are the best.

Cons

OT daily. No support from superiors. Not enough staff to run when it was busy. Corporate was more concerned with $ than having a happy staff.

Advice to Management

Pay your managers, supervisors, and catering supervisors better. They deserve it.

3. Good job for high school students.

Current Employee - Crew in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Crew in Draper, UT

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good managers, non serious environment, great people to work with, 50% discount on delicious food, shifts there aren't extremely long, and the scheduling manager is good at giving you the days you need off.

Cons

Doesn't give raises as often as they say. If you don't ask for a raise, you won't get it. The GM sometimes has a tough time communicating with people without stressing them out.

5. Little structure

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time

Pros

Worked in DC in a limited hour cafe. Helped to create work/life balance. Free meals. Off on Sundays

Cons

Management turnover is ridiculously high. Mangers 2 months out of training would become GMs because no one wanted to stay with the company.

Advice to Management

Treat managers better in order to create retention. Proper training before letting someone run a restaurant.

6. they tell you full time but there fulltime is 30 hours

Current Employee - Saute Cook in Westbury, NY
    Current Employee - Saute Cook in Westbury, NY

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours you don't work til 3 in the morning.

Cons

Only 30 hours and keep a eye on schedule cause they won't call u of change.

Advice to Management

What sounds good isn't all good.no dish washer but you good people to work with. No late nights.

7. Server or Expo at Corner Bakery? Who knows anymore.

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time

Pros

Hiring process was quick, almost too quick. Management was understanding, and easy to work with.

Cons

I applied to Corner Bakery Cafe online, and was contacted about 30 minutes after submitting my application. They had me come in for an interview the following morning, and I was hired on the spot. I was told I wouldn't be filling the role of "cashier" I had initially applied for, but would be filling the role as "expo" in the kitchen. I began training, as an expo and, decided I hated it. But I worked hard at it, and smiled none the less. My schedule was not at all what I was told it would be (I'm usually aware this happens) but the difference was drastic. They they moved me to server, where I excelled and really enjoyed it. My qualms with working here are mainly I didn't have one designated role - I was forced to bounce around a lot which creates a bit of stress, and my coworkers were like a clique from the babysitters club series. No bueno.

8. Corner Bakery Cafe

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time

Pros

Good food. Great people to work with. Great atmosphere inside of restaurants. Good amount of hours for part-time workers. The morning shifts.

Cons

Fast pace working environment for low pay. Limited number of full-time employees. Constant change in management. Tips are shared equally between front-end employees.

Advice to Management

Allow servers to receive own tips. Allow different rules for different franchises. Look to hire long-term, committed managers. Allow more growth for employees (both salary and promotion).

9. corner suck café

Former Employee - Cashier in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in The Woodlands, TX

Pros

The only pros I found for working at CBC in the woodlands was the employee meal discount.

Cons

I was hired with the stated intention to be trained as management, but initially a cashier until their newest location opened in a few months. Which would have been ample time to train me as a manager. Well, that never happened. I wouldn't even say I was trained in my acting role. All of their employees play and joke around. Through trial and error, everything I learned, I learned myself. The only manager that was worth a damn was Ingrid and she transferred to the Katy location. All the other managers just hang out in the office and then come out up in arms when they are needed. They post the schedule one day and then consistently change it throughout the week without telling anyone, and then get mad when you miss a shift you knew nothing about. The gm, Eric, is a joke. His mood swings are ridiculous, and unwarranted . When you're scheduled at 6, he wants you to be there at 530, otherwise he will give you attitude all day.

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together, stay out of the office, train your employees properly, don't trick people into accepting a job with promises you don't intend to keep. Get rid of pretty much everyone and hire people who know what they are doing.

10. Not the greatest job

Current Employee - Front of House in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Front of House in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Corner Bakery Cafe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The regular customers are always GREAT ! Employee meal discount

Cons

Management only care for themselves and getting their bonuses, doesn't do 90 day or 6 Month Review

11. Terrible

Former Employee - Cashier Expo Line Cook Server in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier Expo Line Cook Server in Brea, CA

I worked at Corner Bakery Cafe part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hired with no food industry experience Good hours Flexible sceduling for students

Cons

Minimum wage Terrible management Very unsanitary Manager are unprofessional

Advice to Management

In my 3 years experience working at corner bakery, I learned every position in the restaurant and never got a raise as was promised by management. after learning everything, management promised upward mobility for one year but never followed through. The location I worked at was very unsanitary and unprofessional. Managers allowed employees to drink and do drugs on the job. It is a terrible work enviornment and was filled with endless drama.

RSS Feed </> Embed