Cornerstone Environmental

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014
1.9

Richard A Peluso

One of the best places I've worked

I have been working at Cornerstone Environmental

Pros

I've worked at different companies where it was more than apparent that they didn't care about their employees or their ability to grow themselves professionally or within the organization. This company is clearly very different. They push you to further your education and are extremely flexible and easy going and are ambitious about their future.

Cons

I haven't experienced anything that I would classify as a "con". The experience has been pretty good.

Scraping for work

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Dublin, CA

I worked at Cornerstone Environmental full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Opportunity to get involved in different aspects of projects.
    - Interesting BioCNC opportunity, but apparently not fruitful.
    - Electric vehicle charging station in front of building.
    - Individuals in other offices a pleasure to work with. (a pleasure to work with means they are thinking big, know how to have fun, and get things done.)
    - Convenient Bank located on lower level, for all your banking needs.

Cons

- Work was feast or famine. People unkind towards each other.
    - Senior management often unavailable.
    - Certain angry mid level individual difficult to be around.
    - Lack of professional feedback when things went wrong.
    - Salary raises seemed to be lack luster for everyone.
    - Pay was low and not competitive for the engineering industry or the geographical area.

Be more kind and value your employees.

This is a classic architectural consulting firm where sometimes in the office there is no work available.

Former Employee - Project Engineer I  in  Middletown, NY
    Former Employee - Project Engineer I in Middletown, NY

I worked at Cornerstone Environmental full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company offered a moving bonus, and competitive salary, great benefits.

Cons

It seams as though I was hired during a time when the company didn't have much work available. The company eventually did let me go but blamed me for being incompetent. I feel this was dishonest.

I feel there is some room for improvement when It comes to leadership and management. I worked hard trying to actually find work to just keep busy in the office. It seams as though the leadership had given up on me months before I was let go, and made no attempt to save my employment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Engineer/Scientist I

Former Employee - Engineer/Scientist I  in  Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer/Scientist I in Dublin, CA

I worked at Cornerstone Environmental full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Casual, friendly atmosphere
    - Good place to learn about regulations and permits

Cons

- Management extremely disorganized, minimal to no communication between the managers resulting in one not knowing what the other is doing and ultimately blaming the junior staff for their short comings
    - Junior staff highly under appreciated and looked down upon
    - Work hours can be 40+ hours a week, which would be fine if the pay were equivalent to have much time is required to complete the give tasks
    - Annual "raises" are a joke, never more than $2,000 if that
    - Unbearably stressful to work there
    - More socialization within the work place than I have ever seen before resulting in favoritism
    - Opportunities to learn new things depends on how social you are with the management

Due the inhospitable work environmental most junior staff don't last longer than a year unless they absolutely have to and are continually looking for other job opportunities.

- Management needs to have proper training on how to manage employees below them and how to effectively communicate what is required of them
    - Management needs to learn to take responsible for their own actions rather than automatically blaming the junior employee

This is the worst place I have ever worked

Former Employee - Scientist/Engineer  in  Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist/Engineer in Dublin, CA

I worked at Cornerstone Environmental full-time

Pros

They pay for your certifications and equipment.

There is an opportunity to do field work.

They give you lunch when you are forced to attend lunchtime meetings.

Cons

They don't train you.

They blame you when you don't know how to do something because they didn't train you.

The pay is terrible.

When you attend the aforementioned lunchtime meetings, they say it doesn't count as part of your workday, because they gave you food.

Put some work in company culture, it's important. Have things for new employees to do when they start. Put some effort into training your employees, consider it an investment in the company.

Starts off miserable and progresses to unbearable

Former Employee - Environmental Engineer  in  Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Environmental Engineer in Dublin, CA

I worked at Cornerstone Environmental

Pros

They support promoting within the company.

Cons

Management has extremely unreasonable expectations and with put entry level employees in a position to fail.

Assign work to people who are qualified to complete the job.

Good place to start, but don't expect more than $2,000 raise per year.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Middletown, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middletown, NY

I have been working at Cornerstone Environmental

Pros

Work generally 40 hours per week. Hours are flexible.

Cons

Management slow to give promotions. Promotions are minimal. "Penny pinchers"

Be less concerned with satisfying everyone and reward those who work hard for you.

Not a bad place to start out with, but they don't pay employees enough for how stressful the work can be

Former Employee - Scientist/Engineer
    Former Employee - Scientist/Engineer

I worked at Cornerstone Environmental full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Good place to learn about interpreting state and federal regulations
    -Managers try to give you assignments to branch out and improve your skill set
    -Casual & friendly office environment
    -Occasional site visits
    -Ergonomic desk set up
    -Occasional free lunches for business meetings or events

Cons

-The work can be exceptionally stressful and/or dry
    -Management undervalues its lower level employees who do the brunt of the work
    -The work is exhaustingly detail oriented, yet minor mistakes can be overly criticized
    -Management's work ethics and culture set unreasonable expectations (may correlate to a seemingly high amount of stress related health problems for people in the office)
    -Raises and bonuses are small enough to be a joke, partially due to small profit margins in the billing rates for various employee levels
    -Unfair double standards for certain employees
    -Emails are overly relied on for in-office communication, and results in managers appearing double-faced

Cornerstone's managing mentality needs an overhaul. Someone needs to read studies on what makes a healthy and productive office environment and apply those principles to Cornerstone, because many are going missed. There should probably be company wide mandatory seminars on effective stress management, because the managers usually made situations more stressful which is obviously counterproductive.

ALL employees should be trusted to work remotely when it makes sense, yet managers are unjustifiably distrusting of lower level employees without precedent, which engenders resentment. Regular breaks should be encouraged, which they are not. Having a game in the office (ping pong, etc.) that employees were allowed to feel comfortable playing would probably improve morale significantly.

Raises and bonuses should match the quality of work an employee produces, think 5-10% not 0.5%. If the employee isn't worth that, then you should ask yourself why they are working for you at all. Most of the hard working lower & mid level staff is bitterly aware they are undervalued, which means they will jump ship as soon as a better offer comes along.

Take a look at the office culture of companies in Silicon Valley, the most effective companies in the world are located there and they have far different mentalities. Cornerstone could use a little lightening up in a number of ways.

Worked for Cornerstone Environmental? Contribute to the Community!