Cornerstone OnDemand

Updated October 23, 2014
4.4

Cornerstone OnDemand President & CEO Adam Miller
Adam Miller

Pros
  • The teaming culture is amazing as is the work life balance that is instilled by the company (in 30 reviews)

• The culture is work hard/play hard, and they really mean it (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Because the company is growing so fast, it might be difficult to find the ideal fit (in 26 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is a challenge and not much career opportunities in the Tel Aviv office (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

A second home.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Cornerstone OnDemand full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

After many years at CSOD I have experience the rapid relentless growth and the maturing process. The pros are...
    maintaining the corporate culture, its still play hard and work hard. People really are smart, cool, visionary, and dependable. They care about your life milestones. Its an excellent place for high potential college grads looking to start a career but aren't sure what specific job function they want. At CSOD they hire people who are problem solvers and can do well in different roles.

Cons

We run lean. Even though the company is doing very well and we are growing year after year, each role and department works like they are the underdog. You have to be prepared to shift priorities quickly. If you aren't flexible, you won't like it here.

A large company that feels like a start up

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Cornerstone OnDemand full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cornerstone is a large company that has a start up feel. The tech part of the company is very laid back, with little bureaucracy and few managers. If you need something from another team, you just walk over and talk to them. Meetings are kept to a minimum, which allows everyone to focus on their work.

The compensation is good, though it relies heavily on benefits. There are also a lot of perks, like unlimited vacation, amazing offices, and a lot of free food.

This is a company that really takes care of it's employees. They're forward about wanting developers to stick with Cornerstone, and it's reflected in the compensation packages. If you're looking for a job you can comfortably ride into retirement with, there probably isn't a better choice.

Cons

The product Cornerstone provides is, without question, an enterprise application. There's a ton of code, and most of it is bad. Five classes that do almost the exact same thing, and share copy pasted code? Yep! Four different ways to do the same thing? You've got it! Fragile systems that are backed by magic and impossible to figure out without asking someone who has knowledge of them? Of course! Efforts are made to refactor code to fix these problems, but it seems like other teams will usually continue using older methods.

I have to agree with some other reviewers: if you want a job where you can continually learn and improve your skills, this isn't the place for you. They like to say that they're looking for the best talent, but the average quality of developers here is really mediocre. Most developers are just aiming to make things work, rather than writing good and well designed code. The entirety of development is done with a handful of technologies, and nothing new is introduced. One thing I really miss is working with and learning from amazing developers who have expertise in a wide variety of areas. If you're already familiar with the technologies used, you aren't going to get much out of working here.

If you aren't looking for a job you can comfortably ride into retirement with, the focus on keeping developers for the long-term is a con.

I think management is doing a great job. At this point, most of the cons are things that it's too late to do anything about.

Also healthier snacks and more catered lunches would be nice.

Nowhere I've Ever Worked...

I have been working at Cornerstone OnDemand full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- has offered the wide range of perks available at CSOD: stock options, yoga, massage, sports teams, happy hours, and more!
    - has been so committed to giving back that it founded its own charitable organization.
    - has consistently challenged me and expanded the scope of my work.

Cons

- has had such an intensely micro-managed corporate culture overseen by an occasionally overbearing CEO.
    - has such unrealistic expectations about what can be accomplished by a single employee.

Despite frustrations, management is doing something right. I say, stay the course.

Surrounded by incredibly smart, friendly hardworking people.

I have been working at Cornerstone OnDemand full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Culture and benefits really make Cornerstone standout.
    - unlimited vacation
    - fully paid medical benefits
    - monthly happy hours
    - free lunch fridays
    - breakfast everyday
    - full arcade room, ping pong, foosball, pool, etc (and it's 100% acceptable/encouraged to take a break and play)
    - internal personal "Development Day" where the company hosts courses taught be coworkers and outsiders on self improvement and interesting topics (everything from learning photoshop to personal finance to beer tasting).
    - lots of company sponsored sports teams and clubs (soccer, scuba, baking, basketball, etc)
    - the company works to give back to the community in a number of ways

The only benefit I can think of that's missing is a frozen yogurt machine.

Overall managers genuinely care about their team.
    It is really an awesome place to work!

Cons

I'm sure there are some, but nothing really jumps out.

Keep doing what your doing!

Also I have read some preliminary studies that directly correlate Frozen Yogurt with an increase in employee productivity.

You won't believe the hype until you work here!

Current Employee - Corporate Account Development in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Development in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Cornerstone OnDemand full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been with the company for a little over two months now and all I can say is that I love it here! The people are great, the culture is incredible and the product is top notch. Cornerstone gives its employees the tools to do whatever they want. The career path you are able to take within this company is like nothing I have ever seen before. We use our product to design what we want our career path to look it. This company is a one of a kind. Cornerstone OnDemand has been a top place to work in the past... now I know why.

Cons

This is definitely the hard part. I haven't come across too many cons yet, but if I had to choose a con, I would say; sitting too long through out the day. But then again, that is my choice to not get out of my seat and go walk around or do something.

Growing company with a fun culture and growth opportunities

I have been working at Cornerstone OnDemand full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Cornerstone for 4 years and the people, our leadership's vision, and opportunities to grow professionally keep me here. On top of this, Cornerstone has so many perks that make it a really fun place to work (clubs, yoga, food, snacks, social events, networking events, + many more).

Cons

While there are opportunities for career advancement for top performers, the compensation for internal hires is far less than market value or what Cornerstone will pay for an external hire.

Continue to keep the Cornerstone culture alive and well as we continue to grow. Continue to innovate and deliver great products and support to our clients. Review your compensation strategies.

Great team work, so many willing to pitch in, and smart and inspiring leadership!

Current Employee - Client Success Manager
    Current Employee - Client Success Manager

I have been working at Cornerstone OnDemand full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company culture supports work-life balance - a lot is demanded of you to stay at the top of your game, but flexibility to manage how you manage your workload to be sure you are there for the important things in your life. Opportunity to have your voice heard - you can get involved in special projects that help diversify your skills and provide insight into other departments. A lot of effort is made to make sure Remote resources are included.

Cons

With any fast growing company, it is difficult to spend time on improving process and internal procedures. There are many areas to improve efficiency - over time I see more focus to operational excellence to allow us to scale. We have to be cautious to complete gaps in the product just as rapidly as we are developing new product ideas.

Continue to get customer and staff experts feedback on the product. With product management and product development being such a young team - real world experience should be introduced in the early part of product feature development to ensure the use cases of real users are being addressed.

Amazing culture and people, fast growing company with lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Cornerstone OnDemand full-time

Pros

This is a sink or swim environment, which also means you are empowered. In a short time period, I've been able to take on a high level of responsibility. Coworkers, managers and everyone is willing to help if you have questions or need help. Take ownership here and you'll do well!

Culture is absolutely amazing. work hard play hard. Plenty of happy hour events. Many training and learning opportunities.

Cons

Growing company means things (processes, polices, etc), are evolving to meet new needs. This means a fast pace requiring employees to consistently learn and evolve to keep up. May not be right for everyone.

Keep up the great work!

amazing place to work

I have been working at Cornerstone OnDemand full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Too many great things here, I don't even know where to start.
    - Unlimited vacation. You are trusted to take the time you need to make your own balance.
    - Team work. Everyone is so happy to help others. There is no petty politics, no blame games, no trying to take credit for things to make yourself look good. People and managers truly are happy to work together for common goals.
    - People - I've never worked for such a large organization that grew so fast that was still able to maintain the highest standards for their people. Everyone you meet is smart and cool and dependable and there is mutual respect.
    - Mobility - There is lots of opportunity for mobility, for you to take charge of your career and find the job you love
    - Leadership - Executives are great visionary and practical leaders.
    - Personal and professional development is embedded into the culture. There are days dedicated to development. You are encouraged to have an interesting life outside of work. Volunteerism is encouraged. They truly believe that if you better yourself, you are a better employee and can better the company.

Every year the company grows and it just keeps getting better and better.

Cons

No cons - working here is great.

Dynamic, exciting, new challenges everyday, freedom to succeed and fail on your own but supported when needed

Current Employee - Practice Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Practice Consultant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Cornerstone OnDemand full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Every day is a new challenge, there is lots of freedom to set your own schedule as long as you move your project workload forward and keep your clients progressing toward their live dates in a positive manner

Cons

There can be times of stress and intense workload, but it usually comes in waves and is not unmanageable. If you need support to get through a tough spot you need to actively seek it out yourself.

Continue to promote from within your best people to drive an on-going strong corporate culture.

Cornerstone OnDemand Photos