Cornerstone Research

Cornerstone Research Reviews in New York City, NY

3.9

Cornerstone Research President and CEO Michael E. Burton
Michael E. Burton

Pros
  • good pay, not a lot of travel, better than average work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Interesting, intellectually stimulating work involving high-profile litigation (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The practice has worked very well in places like management consulting firms and law firms (in 7 reviews)

• There is no work/life balance in any area of this company (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great firm, fantastic culture

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Cornerstone Research full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work life balance, supportive culture, constant learning is supported, work on high profile cases, plenty of help with grad school applications

Cons

Hours are occasionally unpredictable, and at the analyst level you sometimes may feel like your input into cases may be limited, but that's inevitable.

Great Company, Great People

Former Employee - Senior Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Cornerstone Research

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Cornerstone, the people are wonderful and the work intellectually engaging at times. Management is generally really good with time off, whether for vacation or longer term (such as extended time for pregnancies far longer than legal requirements). Integrity in work and in the way people interact (at the analyst level anyways).

Cons

As anywhere, if there is something boring, the most junior analyst got it. But it's educational, and the managers generally try very hard to take analyst development into consideration, but sometimes there are things that the team just have to wade through.

Good place to start after undergrad, great opportunities for grad school, but limited after RA level.

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Cornerstone Research

Pros

Generally good culture. Respectful management. Culture has worsened since rapid growth of company but they're trying to bring it back. managerial experience esp when compared to other consulting firms at similar level.

Cons

Work can get repetitive after a while depending on what you end up doing. Can be a lot of work for not as much pay/prestige as compared to top management consulting firms, but it compensates in a generally nice atmosphere to work in. Associate level and above work is very niche.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Middle Management, Boring/Niche Work, Fun Peers

I have been working at Cornerstone Research

Pros

Cornerstone is a fun place to work, as you are surrounded by fun, extremely bright peers. At the Analyst and Associate level, people tend to be very social and collaborative. The firm does also tend to invest a lot in preparing Analysts for graduate school (Business School, Law School, and PhD programs).

Cons

The mid-level management is very bad. They tend to be poor at organizing project/case work, conceptualizing the key issues on the case, and communicating work expectations to the Associates/Analysts. In addition, the work tends to get very repetitive and is fairly niche.

Given the above, the firm would be well-advised to try to improve the mid-level management of the company.

Overall, satisfied ... but don't work in New York

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Cornerstone Research

Pros

I use my brain. I appreciate the intellectual challenge and the opportunity to learn about new industries, techniques, etc.
    The culture is pretty good.
    My coworkers are very smart and competent.

Cons

Management is pretty poor, however. Most managers are academics, with phd backgrounds. PhD programs are not known for turning out great managers.
    Compensation is horrible in New York. We work more than any other office and we don't get paid for our efforts. There is a strong sentiment that we are subsidizing the rest of the firm. And, to add insult to injury, they refuse to acknowledge a cost of living differential.

Change the compensation structure.
    Improve management.

Overall, good place to work and trying to be better.

I have been working at Cornerstone Research

Pros

1. Interesting work
    2. Intelligent and friendly colleagues
    3. Fairly small firm, ability to make an impact

Cons

1. Small-firm growing pains as it struggles to transition into a larger firm
    2. Lack of overtime pay/misalignment of managerial incentives vs. employee incentives when it comes to compensation.
    3. Too much emphasis on reviewing others creates a negative/critical atmosphere.

Acknowledge the overtime work of analysts and acknowledge their value and contribution to the firm (and to the managers' income). Realize that, when analysts work over the weekend or work late nights, they realize that they will see basically 0% of the revenue they generate. This is a problem.

Cornerstone Research Photos

Worked for Cornerstone Research? Contribute to the Community!