Corning

Corning Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Corning Chairman and CEO Wendell P. Weeks

Wendell P. Weeks

Pros
  • If you are in a managerial position, you will have good work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• It is a great place for R&D people and you can learn lots of stuff in a short time (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Headquaters is located in a small town (in 13 reviews)

• No real challenges - I have a great work life balance, very happy (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great global company that has a nice market share in diverse areas of glass with exciting teams and businesses.

ProsInnovative, nice people, global company. Push for training. Very strong values.

ConsConservative, has an old school feel. Needs some younger leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to look at emerging best practices in different areas and consider adopting some within the company.

Melting Development Engineer

Melting Development Engineer (Former Employee) Harrodsburg, KY

ProsAlways working on emerging technologies within the buisness and market. Ability to work with many levels within the company from operators to upper level managers

ConsLack of training and direction in position. I had to develop my own training and within three years I had 5 managers. Lack of direction for me and lack of progress in my position.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to give guidence to your staff. Having several managers for employees doesn't allow for good professional growth and direction for new engineers.

NA

ProsNo pros for this places

ConsIf you are a contractor.. this is not the place for you

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, make a living, and retire.

Process Operator (Former Employee) Danville, VA

ProsPay is great along with great benefits (life, health,dental,etc.), no hard manual labor, and your coworkers are friendly and very respectful.

ConsVery hot environment during the summer months due to multiple tanks running non stop turning chemicals into glass.

A decent R&D focused corporation

Senior Research Scientist (Current Employee) Corning, NY

ProsGood work culture and environment
    Good leadership training

ConsSlow promotion
    Too much focus on the seniorarity of the employment

Exciting, well diversified company with over 160 years reinventing itself through investment in R&D!

Manufacturing Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Corning, NY

ProsCorning is a company that not only spouts values but lives them. Corning leadership promotes valuing the individual. There are many diversity councils at Corning which support all nationalities and life styles. In addition, Corning supports family-worklife balance. Corning is a true believer in supporting the community and promotes this way of life in the workplace as well. You'll find solid benefits at Corning. Corning promotes the growth of its employees through education and on-the-job training. At Corning, Integrity truly is the bottom line. Great place to work!

ConsThe only negative I have found is over the years the benefits and perks have dwindled significantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore reducing a benefit, rethink it! Find another way to save money by not taking it away from the employees' benefits.

EHS Engineer for 5 years and 11 months

EHS Engineer (Former Employee) Keene, NH

ProsExcellent Company, great educational opportunities, continuous improvement.

ConsToo many management changes. It hurts the people who set up programs guided by one manager and then a new manager wants to change course.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease regulations from Corporate offices and hold Plant Manager's accountable for those regulations.

Amazing place to work & grow your career

Human Resources (Current Employee)

ProsI have bee with Corning, Inc. as a contractor for 2 1/2 years now and I have to say it may be the best job I have had in my 10 year career. There is so much opportunity to learn, grow and truly challenge yourself. The company is extremely innovative and its really exciting to be a part of that.

ConsNo real challenges - I have a great work life balance, very happy. Some times response time is a bit low because with all large companies there are many checks and balances.

Advice to Senior Managementg

Worst managed corporation that I have known.

Fiber Optics Production Associate (Current Employee) Wilmington, NC

ProsLearning about safety in the workforce. Opportunities there if you ignore the management attitudes and apply yourself.

ConsExtremely high overtime that is mandatory. No respect from management with your concerns and ideas. This is the closest environment to Animal Farm that I have ever experienced. 12 hour rotating shifts are difficult with the high overtime. Management teams need more people skills and most need to step down. There is a lot of dead weight at the top that just keep protecting their own. Clean house, Wendell.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry the 12 hour shifts with all the forced overtime and see what the ones who actually work are experiencing. You will change your attitudes quickly. Fix the problems and stop passing the buck!

Marketing Communication Specialist - Contractor

Marketing Communication Specialist (Current Employee) Corning, NY

ProsInnovative Products, research plays big role on company, some really excellent managers, if you want to do glass research this is the place

ConsSmall town politics on large international company, very conservative athmosphere, ridicule holiday policy. Rural area with no other bigger emplyess so every one in town are connected to Corning.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to see company values guide the daily work in all levels more, not just on executive pover points.

Worked for Corning? Contribute to the Community!