Corning Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.7

Corning Chairman and CEO Wendell P. Weeks
Wendell P. Weeks

Pros
  • If you are in a managerial position, you will have good work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• It is a great place for R&D people and you can learn lots of stuff in a short time (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Small town politics on large international company, very conservative athmosphere, ridicule holiday policy (in 14 reviews)

• No real challenges - I have a great work life balance, very happy (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with good opportunity

I worked at Corning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very people oriented, good bonus program

Cons

A lot of times you have to relocate to get promoted.

None

Wonderful Place and Enjoyable Atmosphere

Former Employee - Process Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Corning as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good Pay and Good People to work with

Cons

Nothing, everything is really good

gorgeous surroundings, invests tons of money into R and D, great values and care for employees

Current Employee - Summer Intern in Corning, NY
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Corning, NY

I have been working at Corning as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The most outstanding aspect of this company is its care to the individual. Directors and managers are friendly and want to help you succeed and develop with the company. I got to talk to a lot of people during my time here and am very surprised with the amount of innovation being done throughout the various departments. Very impressive. Though Corning is located in a small town, the company does have daily flights to NYC (big enough city for you?) and Corning's other locations. Business travel fills first then personal travel. Full time employees fly for free. There seems to always be space on the weekends.

Cons

A lot of "dark" projects going on so people can't talk about what they're doing most of the time.

Continued growth, commensurate with overall performance

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Corning, NY
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Corning, NY

I have been working at Corning full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to grow within a chosen area or diversify while remaining with the same company. Small town, and at the same time, global company. Opportunity to travel as needed.

Cons

It is what you make it. As with all companies, not knowing how to navigate corporate culture and relying only on merit will not work. Again, that is not unique to Corning Inc.

Encourage folks to focus on the life piece of work-life balance.

Great global company that has a nice market share in diverse areas of glass with exciting teams and businesses.

I have been working at Corning full-time

Pros

Innovative, nice people, global company. Push for training. Very strong values.

Cons

Conservative, has an old school feel. Needs some younger leaders.

Start to look at emerging best practices in different areas and consider adopting some within the company.

Great place to work, make a living, and retire.

Former Employee - Process Operator in Danville, VA
    Former Employee - Process Operator in Danville, VA

I worked at Corning full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is great along with great benefits (life, health,dental,etc.), no hard manual labor, and your coworkers are friendly and very respectful.

Cons

Very hot environment during the summer months due to multiple tanks running non stop turning chemicals into glass.

Amazing place to work & grow your career

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Corning as a contractor

Pros

I have bee with Corning, Inc. as a contractor for 2 1/2 years now and I have to say it may be the best job I have had in my 10 year career. There is so much opportunity to learn, grow and truly challenge yourself. The company is extremely innovative and its really exciting to be a part of that.

Cons

No real challenges - I have a great work life balance, very happy. Some times response time is a bit low because with all large companies there are many checks and balances.

g

EHS Engineer for 5 years and 11 months

Former Employee - EHS Engineer in Keene, NH
    Former Employee - EHS Engineer in Keene, NH

I worked at Corning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Company, great educational opportunities, continuous improvement.

Cons

Too many management changes. It hurts the people who set up programs guided by one manager and then a new manager wants to change course.

Increase regulations from Corporate offices and hold Plant Manager's accountable for those regulations.

Exciting, well diversified company with over 160 years reinventing itself through investment in R&D!

Current Employee - Manufacturing Financial Analyst in Corning, NY
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Financial Analyst in Corning, NY

I have been working at Corning full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Corning is a company that not only spouts values but lives them. Corning leadership promotes valuing the individual. There are many diversity councils at Corning which support all nationalities and life styles. In addition, Corning supports family-worklife balance. Corning is a true believer in supporting the community and promotes this way of life in the workplace as well. You'll find solid benefits at Corning. Corning promotes the growth of its employees through education and on-the-job training. At Corning, Integrity truly is the bottom line. Great place to work!

Cons

The only negative I have found is over the years the benefits and perks have dwindled significantly.

Before reducing a benefit, rethink it! Find another way to save money by not taking it away from the employees' benefits.

Live local, work global

I have been working at Corning full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Collaborative culture, innovative spirit and a company who takes care of their employees. A company whose focus is on innovation and how there products provide life changing innovation. Diversified market segments and a commitment to R&D provides rewarding work and opportunities for enriched careers that few companies can match.

Cons

Not much to mention. No company is perfect but there are many more pros that completely outweigh any negatives.