Corning

Corning Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Corning Chairman and CEO Wendell P. Weeks

Wendell P. Weeks

Pros
  • If you are in a managerial position, you will have good work-life balance(in 8 reviews)

• It is a great place for R&D people and you can learn lots of stuff in a short time(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Headquaters is located in a small town(in 13 reviews)

• No real challenges - I have a great work life balance, very happy(in 7 reviews)

Great global company that has a nice market share in diverse areas of glass with exciting teams and businesses.

ProsInnovative, nice people, global company. Push for training. Very strong values.

ConsConservative, has an old school feel. Needs some younger leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to look at emerging best practices in different areas and consider adopting some within the company.

Great place to work, make a living, and retire.

Process Operator (Former Employee) Danville, VA

ProsPay is great along with great benefits (life, health,dental,etc.), no hard manual labor, and your coworkers are friendly and very respectful.

ConsVery hot environment during the summer months due to multiple tanks running non stop turning chemicals into glass.

Amazing place to work & grow your career

Human Resources (Current Employee)

ProsI have bee with Corning, Inc. as a contractor for 2 1/2 years now and I have to say it may be the best job I have had in my 10 year career. There is so much opportunity to learn, grow and truly challenge yourself. The company is extremely innovative and its really exciting to be a part of that.

ConsNo real challenges - I have a great work life balance, very happy. Some times response time is a bit low because with all large companies there are many checks and balances.

Advice to Senior Managementg

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

EHS Engineer for 5 years and 11 months

EHS Engineer (Former Employee) Keene, NH

ProsExcellent Company, great educational opportunities, continuous improvement.

ConsToo many management changes. It hurts the people who set up programs guided by one manager and then a new manager wants to change course.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease regulations from Corporate offices and hold Plant Manager's accountable for those regulations.

Exciting, well diversified company with over 160 years reinventing itself through investment in R&D!

Manufacturing Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Corning, NY

ProsCorning is a company that not only spouts values but lives them. Corning leadership promotes valuing the individual. There are many diversity councils at Corning which support all nationalities and life styles. In addition, Corning supports family-worklife balance. Corning is a true believer in supporting the community and promotes this way of life in the workplace as well. You'll find solid benefits at Corning. Corning promotes the growth of its employees through education and on-the-job training. At Corning, Integrity truly is the bottom line. Great place to work!

ConsThe only negative I have found is over the years the benefits and perks have dwindled significantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore reducing a benefit, rethink it! Find another way to save money by not taking it away from the employees' benefits.

Live local, work global

ProsCollaborative culture, innovative spirit and a company who takes care of their employees. A company whose focus is on innovation and how there products provide life changing innovation. Diversified market segments and a commitment to R&D provides rewarding work and opportunities for enriched careers that few companies can match.

ConsNot much to mention. No company is perfect but there are many more pros that completely outweigh any negatives.

Great Solid Company to work for

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThey value each and every employee

ConsNo cons other than the location - not much to offer as way of life

Very positive experience working at the NY location

Senior Scientist (Current Employee) Corning, NY

ProsCollaborative and innovation driven culture. There is a very distinct family like culture in the organization which sometimes get disrupted from hiring/firing cycle.

ConsRemote location hurt those without family. It is 5 hr drive away from NYC. Nearest city is Rocherster. No other employer near the city and company have to often cut down on employee number to make up for the numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing a good job keeping everyone informed through regular employee meets. There must be something done to better monetize innovation from Corning.

Great place to work!

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPolite culture, autonomous work environment, well structured career paths.

Cons"Corning Cult" culture not for everyone.. its a very systematic process for career growth by design and some people can't remain patient and fit into the Corning system.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue focusing on dropping dying businesses in pursuit of stronger market share in growing markets with good investment / stock returns. It's time to move the needle on Corning's stock price North.

good experience, recommend to others

Prosgood place, comfortable environment, good management.

Constoo slow. company is too big to do quick turn-around

Worked for Corning? Contribute to the Community!