Corporate Accountability International

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014
3.3

CEO

Great organization culture and people

I worked at Corporate Accountability International full-time

Pros

Great people! Very smart and passionate

Cons

Salary was a little low

Some good people, strong focus on training, great mission, but worst workplace

I worked at Corporate Accountability International full-time

Pros

Strong focus on staff training
    friendly welcoming staff
    good mission, goals and campaigns
    there is a lot of support - sometimes too much support. everyone is energetic about the organization. office is in a cool location.

Cons

sometimes the focus on positivity ignores any actual criticisms or issues making it impossible to address them. There was so much focus on keeping positive and staying the route - it felt similar to the army - never question authority, do what you're told and don't ask for more.
    poor pay - ridiculous for the Boston area - unless you come from money good luck.
    poor benefits - poor dental/medical and they are not good for time off. extremely hard to get days off.
    expect to work non stop - including when you're done - I felt criticized if I didn't go to a happy hour or work event. sorry if I have other friends.
    The strong focus on fundraising detracted from doing other aspects of the job (unless you are hired as a development fundraiser person).
    Overall the worst is how they make you feel you're crazy if you disagree with anything or complain thus rendering you silent.

pay quality fair wages. wages right now are well below the area median income and for the amount of work people are doing it's just plain extortion.

better work/life balance

Outstanding team, critical impact

I worked at Corporate Accountability International

Pros

I've worked with many high-impact social change organizations as a staff person, coach and trainer, and I am consistently blown away by Corporate Accountability International for 2 reasons - their incredible impact on fundamental and critical problems, and their outstanding staff and leadership.

Of all the groups I've worked with, Corporate Accountability is one of the very most thoughtful and strategic when it comes to how they approach their campaigns, how they approach their work, and how they use their resources. The level of detail, insight and rigor that goes into their planning process is impressive on its own -- but what's most impressive is how well those strategic plans translate into actual impact in the world. The change they've been able to create on a national and international level is phenomenal and critically important.

And the staff and leadership of the organization are among the smartest, most dedicated, and most effective people I know. The fact that such outstanding leaders, particularly at the senior and mid-levels, have stayed with the organization for so long both speaks volumes about what a fantastic place it is to work, and adds a richness of experience that all staff can benefit a great deal from.

Cons

Campaign work can be really challenging. It's hard work to take on the targets that these guys take on, and working in this field might not be for everyone. The leadership at Corporate Accountability has high standards, and is serious about getting results - for a lot of people, that's a fantastic way to work, but if that's not what you're looking for, this may not be for you.

Extraordinary professional development, smart and committed staff, activist culture.

Former Employee - Communications Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Communications Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Corporate Accountability International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a rare company that does work that will make your grandchildren proud of you, and they pay a living wage for it. Corporate Accountability International has a strong track record of making a large impact with limited resources. They are thoughtful (perhaps too thoughtful) about planning and strategy. When I was there, the executive leadership was savvy; and they are blessed to have a strong IT/Administrative department. Tasks were challenging, and I was able to make a business case for improvements with little push-back from management.

Cons

This is a work hard/play hard activist culture, which means 9-6 and then grabbing beers after work, plus extra time for organizing events and twice-a-year fundraising. Coming from a campaign job, it's a dream, but might be a shock coming from different sectors.

Take money from non-multinational businesses. You do great work that helps people, and some businesses do as well. Forgoing funds from those businesses starves staff of benefits and resources, and impedes growth.

Effective social change organization filled with passionate, smart (and fun) employees

Former Employee - Organizer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Organizer in Boston, MA

Pros

The campaigns that Corporate Accountability organizes are effective and wonderfully strategic. I felt good to know that every plan had a long-term vision and that the organization was constantly working towards broad and well-defined goals.
    Working directly on one of its three major campaigns, I saw first-hand what an amazing impact the organization has--and has had historically--and some really fascinating issues that few places are bold enough to address head-on. It also uses an extremely effective mix of direct grassroots organizing, constituency organizing, media work, policy work and more to achieve its goals.
    I absolutely loved the office culture. Everyone genuinely liked working together, and the office environment helped to foster this (by celebrating achievements, having a big kitchen table around which people would gather for lunch, etc.)
    There was also an eye towards advancement within the organization and to finding roles with greater responsibility to suit each person. Lots of training opportunities.
    Finally, there is an eye towards sustainability. While employees work very, very hard, in my experience, there was definitely a feeling that the organization wanted to prevent employee burn-out and make sure that the organization could provide a sustainable long-term career path for everyone. Some of these policies could be better executed--like ensuring that many late nights equal a day off--but for the most part, I found that my supervisors were definitely well-equipped to help me ensure I did not burn out over time.

Cons

While I do not know how other non-profits compare, employees here definitely work quite hard for a salary that can be challenging in an expensive city like Boston. The benefits are great -- and there were some useful policies to allow for extra time off during times when everyone works extra hard -- but sometimes, it seems as though the organization is expanding to include more staff quickly when it could be ensuring that those there are given a more sustainable salary to keep them at the organization longer (esp. when employees have children or other changes in financial status.)
    As both a plus and a minus--everyone is involved in lots of fundraising. This makes for responsible resource use and investment of every member of the staff in making sure we have the resources to keep the organization going, but also meant there were many times when people were spending ample time fundraising instead of doing their organizing work. Again--I think it makes for really effective fundraising and gets the organization the resources it needs to keep doing bold work, but could be a drag if one doesn't enjoy fundraising.

High impact, strategic and great mentoring

I worked at Corporate Accountability International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at a number of non-profits and can easily recommend Corporate Accountability International as one of the most high-impact and strategic. The staff are committed, supportive and thoughtful and it was a place where I grew tremendously as a person and organizer. The organization's leadership is seasoned and visionary and cares deeply about advancing the campaigns as well as their staff. I was given opportunities that a new organizer can only dream about and was encouraged to take on more leadership than most twenty-somethings are empowered to do. The sense of team was powerful---we worked collaboratively to plan and execute and celebrated our successes together. We accomplished a great deal too---this is an organization that punches way beyond its weight which is evident in its concrete victories and the impact it has made. There's a reason why it has such a strong, committed donor base and constellation of allies and advisers who have worked closely with the organization over many years. I believe that the organization's commitment to strategic planning is at the core of it's long-term success and impact. The strategic planning process enables the organization to mount long-term campaigns that are visionary and also disciplined and is something that sets the organization apart from its peers. Overall, I feel tremendously lucky to have had the opportunity to work at CAI---I learned a ton, built life-long friendships, and am proud of what we accomplished together.

Cons

The nature of working on a campaign can mean longer hours at times and requires a willingness to try new things, including fundraising and phonebanking which can be challenging to people who are new to them. If you're looking for a job where you do the same thing day in and out, this is not the place for you. You will be asked to take on new challenges and to build new skills (and I hope you will do so eagerly). Corporate Accountability International takes on some of the largest and most powerful corporations in the world so it isn't for the faint of heart or for those looking for a 9 to 5 type experience.

Lots of opportunities for growth, passionate staff.

I have been working at Corporate Accountability International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's inspiring to come to work each day with such a passionate group of people, who are talented and enjoy the work.

The organization also provides many opportunities for training and growth. Available trainings range from topics like staff management to updates on new parts of the campaigns to detailed workshops on reporter cultivation. We've also had outside trainers come in to talk about California's prop 37 campaign supporting GMO labeling, and to lead workshops on public speaking. Everyone also has a lot of opportunity to provide input into future trainings to make sure that they are useful and effective.

In addition to trainings, the organization also provides many opportunities for increased responsibility, both informal and through promotions.

Cons

It takes a long time to really get the hang of things when you start. There's lots of intricacies to the campaigns which means it can take a few months to really get to know the issues well, feel comfortable talking about them, and learn the ins and outs of ones job.

Good people, good mission, horrible implementation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Corporate Accountability International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are smart, the mission is good (protecting people and the planet from corporate abuse), and they give tons of on-boarding to new employees. On the surface, they treat each other with dignity and respect and have a strong commitment to justice.

Cons

The organization spends so much time planning, meeting and paper-shuffling that it gets very little done for its size and budget. It is alarmingly hierarchical, both in terms of dysfunctional power dynamic, lack of internal transparency and pay structure. Its fundraising approach borders on predatory. All staff are not only required to participate in about 8-10 days per year of very aggressive after hours phone banking (overtime for which no one receives extra compensation), they are also expected to bring in at least $400 annually from their personal contacts. The planning structure (twice yearly, for several weeks each time, along with an annual retreat and TONS of supervisor check-ins and superfluous team meetings) seems empowering at first, but one quickly learns that only the top leadership staff's pet strategies and tactics ever make it out of planning. The utter lack of receptivity to criticism and new ideas leads to frustration in some and brown-nosing in others. While it may be a good first job for folks coming out of college, mid-career professionals should avoid this group. You'll be told you are expected to be a leader, but every attempt to actually lead will be quickly shut down.

Don't be so rigid in how you do things. Allow space for people to disagree with you. Don't force staff to fundraise to their personal contacts. Don't book up every second of the day with check-in meetings that don't actually result in work being done. Be more transparent in how decisions are made. Don't expect everyone to be on board with the shiny, happy-faced GreenCorps cult approach to organizing.

Big impact, lots of responsibility, inspirational leadership

I have been working at Corporate Accountability International

Pros

I've worked for the organization for 3+ years. I really love it here.

The campaigns are incredibly smart and strategic, challenging some of the biggest baddest corporations in the world to change their ways. The organization is bold and long-term in its thinking and puts big ideas out there, such as how messed up it is McD's markets to children. At the same time, we are regularly a part of incremental change, such as the recent success getting Veolia to stop it's bid to privatize St Louis's water system. While it's a hard-working environment, it doesn't go too far compared to other groups I've known. Many weeks are right around 45 hours, staff enjoy their weekends, everyone is very supportive of families, personal time, etc. And, I have tremendous respect for our leaders. For instance, the most senior staff have the most significant fundraising goals and are out in front leading the way.

Cons

The work can be hard and it's not for everyone. But, that's the nature of working for social change organization (it's not going to be a clock-in and out kind of environment). We all participate in fundraising and that can be a learning experience to those who haven't done it before. But , I think most staff find those drives to be really empowering in the end. Fundraising is a skill you'll take anywhere and we're really good at teaching people how to raise lots of dough!

You shouldn't have to be a martyr to work for a social change organization. In fact, I think it's hypocritical.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Some fantastic and talented people work here. There is a big kitchen filled with lots of laughs and interesting conversations.

Cons

Rigid, out-dated, very hierarchical, low pay, long hours. Very outdated business model with a narrow view of how fundraising should be conducted (which is to say by absolutely everyone who works there).

You shouldn't have to be a martyr to work for a social change organization like this. I know hours get longer during fundraising season, but why a minimum 45 hrs/wk for the whole year?