Corporation for National and Community Service

3.9

CEO

Exceptional Government agency

I worked at Corporation for National and Community Service full-time

Pros

Good pay, excellent work environment \ very rewarding working with young adults and helping provide them with tangible work and life skills. Job is a Federal job without the huge federal job feel. Relaxed dress code allows people in all leadership positions to seem more open and available to the Corps members that they are serving while seeking advise or mentorship

Cons

advancement is very slow, promotion potential is limited due to use of NY-type of pay banding vs using the traditional GS scale used is most Federal Government jobs

Reconsider all duty titles and appropriately give credit for people in Supervisory positions that do not get supervisory credit on their annual Appraisals which limits their future growth and potential for advancement within the organization. Be more vigilant about the potential abuse of Teleworking rules by employees.

Terrible place to work with backbiting leadership, workplace bullies and crab pot mentality. Run, don't walk away.

Former Employee - Program Support in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Support in Washington, DC

I worked at Corporation for National and Community Service full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many staff are nice and dedicated to the work. If the management actually functioned and had real leadership skills, not just a reward our friends with senior management positions regardless of merit, education or intelligence, then this could be a good place to work.

Cons

This place is full of terrible leaders in the senior management, nepotism, promotion as a reward for patronage, and other work place ills like bullying, sexual favors between managers and subordinates, and there is not a single upper manager not tainted by these behaviors. The rest of the workforce is too scared to speak up, for fear they'll be next on the chopping block. What a waste of a good idea from President's Bush and Clinton.

Find a CEO and COO interested in fixing the management culture. Start in the HR office. Find an HR leader with an ethical and moral compass, and then listen to them. Dump the whole C suite leadership. It will take years to root out the impact of the last 6 years of cabals and nepotism.

Dedication - great mission

Former Employee - Grants Review Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Grants Review Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Corporation for National and Community Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Federal employment. Great mission. Good management.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic. Employees frequently move on after a few years. Congress has CNCS under a microscope.

You really have to have a passion to help others

Former Employee - Vista in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Vista in Chicago, IL

I worked at Corporation for National and Community Service as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

This is a great opportunity for people who are looking to give back to their community, looking for an internship, looking for a new career, dealing with employment hardship or who are passionate about what the commit to.

Cons

The only down two down sides about this opportunity is that if you take on this role you will have to commit to living at at or below poverty for 1 year. Secondly, if you for some reason if you get displaced from an assignment or opportunity due to it not being a good fit where you are stationed, you risk the other benefits or rewards at the end of service.

When a VISTA has an issue with his assignment, do not automatically assume that it due to the VISTA not being a good fit. The management of that organization could have some issues that deeply rooted in their culture. Secondly, when things do not seem to be working get with the site and the VISTA volunteer in a conference meeting to discuss openly a resolution versus speaking to each party separately and forming a bias opinion. My CNCS contact said somethings to me that was very unprofessional and dare not repeat it nor am I trying to burn a bridge. However I will always remember this opportunity as my opportunity of being able to give back because my second site I went to treated me as part of the team, welcomed my energy, creativity, optimism and I am still volunteering time.

Wonderful AmeriCorps experience.

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

I had the pleasure of serving a term of AmeriCorps that helped me grow as a person and understand some of the realities that exist as a result of poverty.

Cons

I, in all honesty, cannot think of a negative with regard to working through the Corporation for National and Community Service.

Keep up the great work!

Rewarding and Frustrating All In The Same Day

Current Employee - Vista in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Vista in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Corporation for National and Community Service

Pros

You will gain valuable project development skills which can be applied to many future jobs.
    The perception of VISTAs is very positive in the business world.
    Great introduction to politics of not for profit and government organizations,

Cons

Project placement site/ Assignment description determines that course of work that you will be doing even if you find that your time might be better spent working on something else.

Great learning opportunity.

I have been working at Corporation for National and Community Service

Pros

Great exposure to non-profit community work and builds great networks.

Cons

The pay is very low due to the nature of the work and the mission.

Fulfilling; felt rewarding to commit years of service to a community in need.

Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA

I have been working at Corporation for National and Community Service

Pros

- Decent health benefits; zero charge for generic prescriptions; $5 co-pay.
    - Significant education Award upon completion of 1 year of service to be used within 7 years of completion for additional schooling or to help pay current student loan debt.
    - Character building opportunities; very rewarding.

Cons

- Living stipend is not generous by any means and it is a struggle getting used to such low pay but this job is not about the money.
    - 24/7 Service which means no other outside employment is permitted not necessarily that you will be working 24/7 where your stationed.

Management depends upon where you are placed in your service. My experience was great. I received constant feedback and my supervisor was always very supportive allowing me the freedom to make decisions with other VISTA members on staff.