Correctional Medical Services

Updated Feb 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dick Miles

It's a good day to be in prison.

Medical Provider (Current Employee)
Lansing, MI

I have been working at Correctional Medical Services

ProsHours and work load are reasonable. Very interesting population and clinical challenges. Mid level medical providers are adequately supported and encouraged to be independent. Interface with Department of Corrections is impressive given its complexity. General communication from senior management to frontline workers here in Michigan is earnest and prompt.

ConsVery little face time with administration, but for some of us, this is a positive characteristic.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo far, so good.

Correctional Health - Professional intrigue behind bars

Medical Service Provider (MSP) (Current Employee)
Ionia, MI

I have been working at Correctional Medical Services

ProsThe opportunity for independant practice as a mid level provider. Great collaborating collegues. Comfortable support from CMS administration as well as in interfaces with Michigan Department of Corrections. Can't ask for better support staff at the Ionia sight. Fascinating population to work with. Feeling great about serving underserved population.

ConsCommunication between administration and front line staff is frequently disjointed. CMS makes genuine attempts to stay in contact with it's medical providers but this is a daunting task given that employees are providing medical services to multiple prisons in multiple cities.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore frequent feedback for new employees. Some of us are fairly isolated from other CMS coworkers within a system of state employees. It's hard to get a guage on one's professional performance under these circumstances.

Don't work for Correctional Medical Services.....

RN (Current Employee)
Vineland, NJ

I have been working at Correctional Medical Services

ProsRetirement 401k can't be beat; If you want to succeed with this company, you can blindly follow their demands, to the detriment of your coworkers and become a supervisor. The actual work is rewarding.

ConsCommunication at the local level is nil; the price for the health insurance is prohibitive with less than expected coverage; As an employee, you are treated no better than an inanimate object; staffing is short on all shifts; ghost scheduling is used; Employee morale is down and NOT a cause of concern at any time for this company; and, Supervisors play favorites in raises, evaluations, shift assignments and time off assignments.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlay fair and according to the law! Everyone needs equal treatment. I have worked for this company for a very long time and have never met Dick Miles.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Looking for another position

Rather Not Say (Current Employee)
Smyrna, DE

I have been working at Correctional Medical Services

ProsThe PTO time that you are given is hard to beat, but given the fact that you are working in prisons and jails they need to compensate you some way.

ConsRepeated turn over in administration and management. No clear job expectations and no follow through from management with problem employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through at the site level with, there is no communication between the regional office and the sites. When a directive is given, we usually find out about it the day it is to be completed, making it an emergency to complete asap. There is no support at the sites dealing with corrective action issues and it seems that CMS would rather keep rotten employees in place because they fill a hole, than to replace them with productive staff members.

Stay far away

I have been working at Correctional Medical Services

ProsThe best reason to work there are the nurses that work along side of you. They have your back in a very stressful environment

ConsThe benefits are absolutely horrible. They are extremely expensive and don't cover much. No management support on anything. Very unprofessional in every way.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees. Treat them with the professionalism the deserve. We are highly traind professionals. Treat us like it.

Worked for Correctional Medical Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Correctional Medical Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Correctional Medical Services CEO Dick Miles. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Correctional Medical Services employees.