Correctional Medical Services

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dick Miles

Great learning environment

ProsGreat people, friendly atmosphere, growth

ConsNot as much compensation on raises

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the workers more, not necessarily monetary, a nice thank you goes a long way.

Correctional Nursing

Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (Former Employee) Bowling Green, MO

ProsGood training & helpful co-workers. Extended training due to the nature of the job and the environment you work in. Decent pay for the area. Shift differential and weekend pay is nice. Correctional officers are nice and do a good job of ensuring your safety.

ConsWorking in a prison environment. Correctional nursing is not for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone right now.

Correctional Medical

Counselor (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsNever a dull moment; lots of good people to work with; your input is heard

ConsTop-heavy administration; lots of rules that change frequently; easy to get overwhelmed so you really have to take care of yourself -- definitely not a nurturing environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain stability and clarity; communication is the key

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was employed with Correctional Medical Services under a contractual basis at the Arlington Co. Adult Detention Ctr

Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsI was treated with dignity and respected as a professional throughout my profession. My work with CMS to this day remains as my most pleasant professional experience.

ConsThough I never encountered any negative experiences, there was significant turnover in administrative staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy position encompassed working with correctional staff as well as Dept. of Human Services staff who were County employees. Such had created a somewhat "territorial" environment where CMS staff was oftentimes considered "outsiders." In order to work moreso as a cohesive team in an already stressful, unpredictable environment, I worked with CMS administration to include all staff, including correctional officers, as part of the "treatment team" which allowed all perspectives to be heard & validated with respect in the facilitation of making decisions regarding the mental health unit. In a very short time, barricades among staff dissipated and those involved in inmate mental health care felt their input as validated.

Run as fast as you can !

Correctional Facility Nurse (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe inmates show you more respect than management. In fact, I'd trust the inmates more than the staff.

ConsStaff infighting, backstabbing, gossiping,(if not outright lying). Staff is very territorial. Management has their "favorites" who can do no wrong and lay the blame on someone they are "gunning" for. Records are altered, forged, "misplaced", what ever they have to do to cover themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to hire management that is more honest than the cons.

Nursing field provides variety.

Correctional Facility Nurse (Former Employee) North Little Rock, AR

ProsYou provide different levels of care within one setting. There are opportunities for providing routine, urgent, and emergent care. You will see a variety of health issues that will allow you to gain experience in different areas of health.

ConsThe environment that you work within is very stressful. Being a correctional nurse is not for everyone, so you should weigh you options and personality very carefully before starting a career in correctional nursing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStandardize employee interactions

Beware the stealthy pink slip

IT Support (Current Employee) Creve Coeur, MO

ProsThere was a decent variety of work, as well as some occasional travel (usually voluntary). People are generally very nice, but can be a little "clicky" in an office of ~400. Business casual environment with a pretty laid back atmosphere.

ConsEvil company that couldn't care less about its people (although they fake it well). Lay-offs each of the nearly 10 years I worked there. Not once did they rehire people laid off in the fall back in the spring when they would hire replacements. These usually take place in September. I made the mistake of thinking I survived to live another year, only to get axed two days before Christmas (a few hours before we closed for the holiday, actually). They fired the VP of my department, then used his office to ****can another two dozen of us. I had no clue until I walked in to fix a problem for the VP who was already gone. They often let go of some of the best people (who were often paid for their talent), then those upstairs would get a health bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrab a clue and realize who is really making the company successful. So then some loyalty and quit being so greedy. I won't point fingers to specific people but they know who they are. Quit passing off cheap gifts as a "than you" and start rewarding people with a bonus check or a decent raise. No one wants a candy bar or a restricted movie ticket.

You will need to be tough skinned, alert, aggressive, quick thinker, confident and careful, studious.

Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (Former Employee) Charleston, MO

ProsPay is good, shifts flexible, overtime pay is good, staff is effecient, training for new positions needs improvement, computer skills, insurance is good.

ConsInmates call personnell names, you see very personal and ilicit behaviours, staffing can be competitive, dangerous environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training for new employees.

Worst company I have ever worked for.

IT Department (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe Technology is decent. If you are lucky, your direct report might be a great person. My manager let me do my job and didn't micromanage. There are some good people in the company. My manager was very flexible on working hours.

ConsWorst company I have ever worked for. Internal personal opinions instead of performance based. Unintelligent upper management (director level.) If you cross one of the "good ole boys" you can plan on being let go for any random reason; or simply "other" The good employees in the company are generally treated poorly and looking for ways out. Turnover is heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's unbelievable that this company is profitable at all. Let the experts (worker bees) do their jobs and count on them for purchasing opinions, and don't let management make hire/fire decisions based on personal opinions. I have nothing good to say about CMS and recommend only taking this if it is temporary.

Lowest Pay in the Industry

Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsCaptive audience, where else are they going to go? Lazy folks love it here, no one cares.

ConsNot able to recruit decent help due to lowest pay scale in healthcare industry.Gets employees no one else will hire.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are top heavy with no clue of what really goes on. No wage increases since 2006.

Worked for Correctional Medical Services? Contribute to the Community!