Correctional Medical Services Reviews

Updated March 6, 2015
19 reviews filtered by

You will need to be tough skinned, alert, aggressive, quick thinker, confident and careful, studious.

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in Charleston, MO
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in Charleston, MO

I worked at Correctional Medical Services

Pros

Pay is good, shifts flexible, overtime pay is good, staff is effecient, training for new positions needs improvement, computer skills, insurance is good.

Cons

Inmates call personnell names, you see very personal and ilicit behaviours, staffing can be competitive, dangerous environment.

Better training for new employees.

Worst company I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - IT Department in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - IT Department in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Correctional Medical Services

Pros

The Technology is decent. If you are lucky, your direct report might be a great person. My manager let me do my job and didn't micromanage. There are some good people in the company. My manager was very flexible on working hours.

Cons

Worst company I have ever worked for. Internal personal opinions instead of performance based. Unintelligent upper management (director level.) If you cross one of the "good ole boys" you can plan on being let go for any random reason; or simply "other" The good employees in the company are generally treated poorly and looking for ways out. Turnover is heavy.

It's unbelievable that this company is profitable at all. Let the experts (worker bees) do their jobs and count on them for purchasing opinions, and don't let management make hire/fire decisions based on personal opinions. I have nothing good to say about CMS and recommend only taking this if it is temporary.

Lowest Pay in the Industry

Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Correctional Medical Services

Pros

Captive audience, where else are they going to go? Lazy folks love it here, no one cares.

Cons

Not able to recruit decent help due to lowest pay scale in healthcare industry.Gets employees no one else will hire.

You are top heavy with no clue of what really goes on. No wage increases since 2006.

Correctional Facility Nurse for CMS

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)

I have been working at Correctional Medical Services

Pros

Sign on bonus with no contract to sign to get it, good pay, and five weeks of vacation starting day one!

Cons

Decent medical coverage, the college assistance is so-so, and the 401k is to laugh at, they match 50% up to 4% of your pay pre-tax and you are not fully vested for five full years!

Get organized, make decisions based on something that will make the place run better, not just becaue you are board and want to implement useless costly and timely ideas for no real reason other than you might get fired if you don't appear to have a function within the company (for management, not the nurses)

6. It's a good day to be in prison.

Current Employee - Medical Provider in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Medical Provider in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Correctional Medical Services

Pros

Hours and work load are reasonable. Very interesting population and clinical challenges. Mid level medical providers are adequately supported and encouraged to be independent. Interface with Department of Corrections is impressive given its complexity. General communication from senior management to frontline workers here in Michigan is earnest and prompt.

Cons

Very little face time with administration, but for some of us, this is a positive characteristic.

So far, so good.

Correctional Health - Professional intrigue behind bars

Current Employee - Medical Service Provider (MSP) in Ionia, MI
    Current Employee - Medical Service Provider (MSP) in Ionia, MI

I have been working at Correctional Medical Services

Pros

The opportunity for independant practice as a mid level provider. Great collaborating collegues. Comfortable support from CMS administration as well as in interfaces with Michigan Department of Corrections. Can't ask for better support staff at the Ionia sight. Fascinating population to work with. Feeling great about serving underserved population.

Cons

Communication between administration and front line staff is frequently disjointed. CMS makes genuine attempts to stay in contact with it's medical providers but this is a daunting task given that employees are providing medical services to multiple prisons in multiple cities.

More frequent feedback for new employees. Some of us are fairly isolated from other CMS coworkers within a system of state employees. It's hard to get a guage on one's professional performance under these circumstances.

Looking for another position

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Smyrna, DE
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Smyrna, DE

I have been working at Correctional Medical Services

Pros

The PTO time that you are given is hard to beat, but given the fact that you are working in prisons and jails they need to compensate you some way.

Cons

Repeated turn over in administration and management. No clear job expectations and no follow through from management with problem employees.

Follow through at the site level with, there is no communication between the regional office and the sites. When a directive is given, we usually find out about it the day it is to be completed, making it an emergency to complete asap. There is no support at the sites dealing with corrective action issues and it seems that CMS would rather keep rotten employees in place because they fill a hole, than to replace them with productive staff members.

Don't work for Correctional Medical Services.....

Current Employee - RN in Vineland, NJ
    Current Employee - RN in Vineland, NJ

I have been working at Correctional Medical Services

Pros

Retirement 401k can't be beat; If you want to succeed with this company, you can blindly follow their demands, to the detriment of your coworkers and become a supervisor. The actual work is rewarding.

Cons

Communication at the local level is nil; the price for the health insurance is prohibitive with less than expected coverage; As an employee, you are treated no better than an inanimate object; staffing is short on all shifts; ghost scheduling is used; Employee morale is down and NOT a cause of concern at any time for this company; and, Supervisors play favorites in raises, evaluations, shift assignments and time off assignments.

Play fair and according to the law! Everyone needs equal treatment. I have worked for this company for a very long time and have never met Dick Miles.

Stay far away

I have been working at Correctional Medical Services

Pros

The best reason to work there are the nurses that work along side of you. They have your back in a very stressful environment

Cons

The benefits are absolutely horrible. They are extremely expensive and don't cover much. No management support on anything. Very unprofessional in every way.

Listen to employees. Treat them with the professionalism the deserve. We are highly traind professionals. Treat us like it.