Corrections Corporation of America

Corrections Corporation of America Reviews

Updated November 6, 2014
Updated November 6, 2014
2.7

Corrections Corporation of America President, CEO, and Director Damon T. Hininger
Damon T. Hininger

Pros
  • Good pay,good benefits,days off,paid time off (in 5 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, paid vacation, paid holidays, paid sick time, guaranteed forty plus hours a week (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Prison stays understaffed(to line the business's pockets) so that means mandatory overtime; make you come on your day off, or write you up (in 4 reviews)

• Unprofessional upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I learned that your never to old to learn.

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America

Pros

I loved my job at Saguaro Correctional Center. I learned a lot during my almost 7 years. Self discipline and patience were the best and somewhat most challenging for me.

Cons

Management and other co-workers not working as a team. We're suppose to be more of a family and have each others backs 24/7

They should listen to their officers more. Show more support and encouragement. Let them know when they go above and beyond their job performance.

Corrections Corporation of America was hard on families.

Former Employee - Paralegal in Kuna, ID
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Kuna, ID

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits were a major reason for continuing employment. The co-workers are all great people. The company also had nice parties for families.

Cons

The stress of needing to get my work done with no additional manpower was difficult. i had to be married to my job. This caused problems at home. This also contributed to my health beginning to suffer. My manager said I look stressed out!. Mandatory minimum number of employees is a mistake.

Management needs to focus on making the company more friendly to families. Workers need to be able to go home and leave work at home.

Excellent company from local to corporate!

Current Employee - Business Manager in Mason, TN
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Mason, TN

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

CCA is a family of professionals! Open to new ideas and promoting within - along with community involvement and outstanding facilities with all the technological advances! Staff in-service and training are top notch! Great place to work.

Cons

Outside of working with inmates that need constant hand holding - I can't think of a "con" that relates directly to CCA!

Management is great - always!

Unsafe work environment for the pay, Staff has no authority at all. Several Staff assaults

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

Schedule is great, rotating weekends off and plenty of paid time off

Cons

Cant get paid time off approved, lose all your time you have built at the end of the year

Work in our boots for a week

Worst Contract

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America

Pros

You get 3 and 4 days off

Cons

90% of the employees are Ghetto..sloppy with their uniforms.I worked there for almost a year it was the worst experience

Screen backgrounds before you hire and while employed. Provide opportunities for those working in DC to visit other jails under CCA for trainings

Great experience if you like to pursue your education in Criminal Justice.

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paid time off, Overtime, Every other weekend off .Guaranteed income

Cons

Very unprofessional atmosphere if a staff member has an issue about you count on it the inmates will know about it.Constantly stuck on post. Professionalism that's what they teach you in class but they don't own up to it. Pay is awful 10.31 in Chattanooga .Very high turnover rate. They now have a class 2 twice a month they can use the money to pay their Correctional Officer more money. There's no management skills at all at they will promote anybody.

Close down this placr

the pay

Former Employee - Senior Correctional Officer in Alamo, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Correctional Officer in Alamo, GA

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the pay is really good and promotion options you meet a lot of great people and they become your family.

Cons

the family to work balance is not good. I lost my wife in 2011 in a car accident and she was 14 weeks pregnant and we also had a two year old. My wife and I had been together for 10 years through me getting hurt in Iraq and all but my uppers did not support me a bit. I was required to come back in two weeks and they stuck me in the hardest most stressful part of the prison segregation. even though my coworkers and Lt and Cpt supported me 110% left a lot of great friends there.

You really need to listen to the folks that run these prisons and do the dirty work and watch these wardens and assistant wardens a lot better

Dead end entry level job

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of overtime if you want it.

Cons

Working conditions are poor, policy's and rules are not clear and management changes the rules to fit there needs. No wage increases at anytime. Officers bring in contraband regularly . Staff is lazy and unwilling to help.

Overall, good company to work for.

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America

Pros

Paid well, great benefits. Lots of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Long hours, not very flexible scheduling.

integrity

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the pay is pretty good....

Cons

reminds me of high school