Corrections Corporation of America

Corrections Corporation of America Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Corrections Corporation of America President, CEO, and Director Damon T. Hininger

Damon T. Hininger

Pros:
  • "Good pay, good benefits, paid vacation, paid holidays, paid sick time, guaranteed forty plus hours a week"
    in 4 reviews
  • "paycheck, support of colleagues within the department, officers were supportive when there were any threats"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Prison stays understaffed(to line the business's pockets) so that means mandatory overtime; make you come on your day off, or write you up"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Unprofessional upper management"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

it was good for a start.overtime available.

Sayre, OK

ProsGood pay,good benefits,days off,paid time off

ConsRemote location of the facilty

My experience with this had it's highs and lows but overall it was not good.

Chattanooga, TN

ProsThis would be a good job if we were treated with respect. There are no pros I can think of.

ConsThe Leadership sucks. The pay is low. There are no pay raises. And the forced 16 plus hour shifts are wrong. No wonder you have a 88% turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit acting like your better than everyone else. Trust me your not. Stop the 88% turnover rate.

Remember this is not a vacation spot its a PRISON! The job is NOT for everyone.

Corrections Officer (Current Employee)
    Cushing, OK

ProsUpgrades at the facility are always happening. The Upper management can always be accessed.

ConsBenefits are standard for this Industry. The feeling there is a lack of backup is frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more mandatory physical training for the staff some of the guards are way out of shape to do the job. Change the uniforms to BDU's for the guards.Restrict the movement of the Inmates on the yard. Place more officers in the Pods to ensure the safety of the staff and Inmates also there needs to be more guards patrolling the outside of the wire, and place stationary guards in the problems areas outside the wire. There should be a constant reactionary unit placed at each and everyone of the facilities The company needs to actively recruit more military Veterans,because the mindset is different from non-military individuals.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's not what you know...

ProsPromotion comes quickly and employee engagement is a plus

ConsAlways being stuck at work to work double shifts. Not having back up from your unit team members. Forced to sit in the pod daily.

teamwork

Eloy, AZ

Prospay,benefits, close to home, good people, promotions

Consearning respect, poor training, good old boys system

Advice to Senior Managementtry less favoritism and actually recognize staff who really work hard and deserve recognition.

Prejudiced

Florence, AZ

ProsGood pay, good benefits, paid vacation, paid holidays, paid sick time, guaranteed forty plus hours a week. The Supervisors are on site at all times.

ConsYou are nothing more than a number for these people. They would like you to believe that they care for their employees. They do not.

Good company to work for

Detention Officer (Former Employee)
    California City, CA

ProsThe Job it self, good schedules,

Consto many differences between locations. no continuity between locations. (pay, training, management)

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership needs to be the same mind set. no matter the facility. pay should not be a matter of dollars but cents.

Easy job, with a lot of politics and drama with staff.

Whiteville, TN

ProsThis is one of the better paying jobs in my area, if you have no degree. It's an easy job. Decent benifits package.

ConsThere are a lot of cliques. Everything is a popularity contest. The pay is low for the job you do. It is considered a hazardous job, but you barely make over min wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people better. We like to see that we're appreciated for the work we do, especially on night shift. Raise the pay. We put our lives in danger for $5 less per hr than most low paying police departments, to do the same job. Promote based on who can do the job and not who's popular.

A real bad solution, to housing americas inmate population

Nashville, TN

Prosits a paycheck every 2 weeks

Consthe company thinks they invented corrections! they coudn't be more worng, they treat staff and inmates very poorly, like property. staff is very under trained. ACA standards used as needed but again they think they invented ACA standards. its only a matter of time till they get someone killed. oh wait! its already happened

Advice to Senior Managementyou get what you pay for... hire more staff and pay them to stick around

pit of hell work place Cimarron Correctional Facility

Correctional Officer (Former Employee)
    Cushing, OK

Prosthe company is not bad has good benfits and pay

Conssome of its facilites the management totally have their heads up their asses. And the stupidvisors if you are not of their race, gender, age group they will set you up with bogus claims to get you fired

Advice to Senior Managementto the managers in coporate clean out the whole bunch of inbreeding at this place and start again

Worked for Corrections Corporation of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Corrections Corporation of America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Corrections Corporation of America CEO Damon T. Hininger. All 65 reviews posted anonymously by Corrections Corporation of America employees.