Corrections Corporation of America

Corrections Corporation of America Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
2.6

Corrections Corporation of America President, CEO, and Director Damon T. Hininger
Damon T. Hininger

Pros
  • Good pay,good benefits,days off,paid time off (in 5 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, paid vacation, paid holidays, paid sick time, guaranteed forty plus hours a week (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Prison stays understaffed(to line the business's pockets) so that means mandatory overtime; make you come on your day off, or write you up (in 4 reviews)

• Unprofessional upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company from local to corporate!

Current Employee - Business Manager in Mason, TN
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Mason, TN

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

CCA is a family of professionals! Open to new ideas and promoting within - along with community involvement and outstanding facilities with all the technological advances! Staff in-service and training are top notch! Great place to work.

Cons

Outside of working with inmates that need constant hand holding - I can't think of a "con" that relates directly to CCA!

Management is great - always!

Unsafe work environment for the pay, Staff has no authority at all. Several Staff assaults

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

Schedule is great, rotating weekends off and plenty of paid time off

Cons

Cant get paid time off approved, lose all your time you have built at the end of the year

Work in our boots for a week

the pay

Former Employee - Senior Correctional Officer in Alamo, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Correctional Officer in Alamo, GA

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the pay is really good and promotion options you meet a lot of great people and they become your family.

Cons

the family to work balance is not good. I lost my wife in 2011 in a car accident and she was 14 weeks pregnant and we also had a two year old. My wife and I had been together for 10 years through me getting hurt in Iraq and all but my uppers did not support me a bit. I was required to come back in two weeks and they stuck me in the hardest most stressful part of the prison segregation. even though my coworkers and Lt and Cpt supported me 110% left a lot of great friends there.

You really need to listen to the folks that run these prisons and do the dirty work and watch these wardens and assistant wardens a lot better

Dead end entry level job

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of overtime if you want it.

Cons

Working conditions are poor, policy's and rules are not clear and management changes the rules to fit there needs. No wage increases at anytime. Officers bring in contraband regularly . Staff is lazy and unwilling to help.

Overall, good company to work for.

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America

Pros

Paid well, great benefits. Lots of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Long hours, not very flexible scheduling.

integrity

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the pay is pretty good....

Cons

reminds me of high school

Horriable

Former Employee - Officer in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Officer in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of hrs. Decent benefits

Cons

You are treated horrible. Inmates are treated better.

Stress, verbal abuse, and hours until you drop.. Literally!

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pays better than some state corrections. Good benefits, excellent 401k. Plenty of overtime!!

Cons

The turn over if so high because these people in management will literally such the life out of you. Three employees sent out to the hospital for heart related issues. People being forced to work 7 days in a row 12 hours a day. The management talk down to CO's and make then feel two inches tall and when it's brought to anyone higher.. They shrug their shoulders and walk away. The next day your takes from your post to work the worst part of the building because you opened your mouth. So when you realize that this is bull and leave all the time and effort you put in.. And certificates and awards don't mean anything when you get out into the real world again. Work here to save up your money and get your feet wet in corrections, then move on. Anything longer if not worth your time or your health.

Could be great

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America

Pros

Corporate organization has a solid and profitable outlook on the future

Cons

Too Many to count. However, "life/work balance" is preached but not respected

CCA is political and unfriendly company. Trying to be like government they have lost their family feel.

Current Employee - Director in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Director in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Big company benefits and opportunities to advance in a fairly stable industry. Some great individuals work here, if you are looking for a JOB, it's a good one. If you can just put in your time and go home without caring, CCA is right for you.

Cons

Watch your back! Advancement is all about manipulation of systems and politics, so gossips and rumors and favors rule. Mistakes are rarely admitted. Nothing is quite as it seems, and nothing is explained until after it happens, so you always feel unsettled. Things are constantly changing, and they keep trying new things, but keep people in the dark.

Stop following lawyers and politicians, or you will go the way of the country. Stand out, be excellent. Get out of the politics game and be honest with our own people. Stop trying so hard to be like everyone else!