Corrections Corporation of America

Corrections Corporation of America Reviews

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
2.6

Corrections Corporation of America President, CEO, and Director Damon T. Hininger
Damon T. Hininger

Pros
  • Good pay,good benefits,days off,paid time off (in 5 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, paid vacation, paid holidays, paid sick time, guaranteed forty plus hours a week (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Unprofessional upper management (in 5 reviews)

• Prison stays understaffed(to line the business's pockets) so that means mandatory overtime; make you come on your day off, or write you up (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience if you like to pursue your education in Criminal Justice.

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paid time off, Overtime, Every other weekend off .Guaranteed income

Cons

Very unprofessional atmosphere if a staff member has an issue about you count on it the inmates will know about it.Constantly stuck on post. Professionalism that's what they teach you in class but they don't own up to it. Pay is awful 10.31 in Chattanooga .Very high turnover rate. They now have a class 2 twice a month they can use the money to pay their Correctional Officer more money. There's no management skills at all at they will promote anybody.

Close down this placr

the pay

Former Employee - Senior Correctional Officer in Alamo, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Correctional Officer in Alamo, GA

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the pay is really good and promotion options you meet a lot of great people and they become your family.

Cons

the family to work balance is not good. I lost my wife in 2011 in a car accident and she was 14 weeks pregnant and we also had a two year old. My wife and I had been together for 10 years through me getting hurt in Iraq and all but my uppers did not support me a bit. I was required to come back in two weeks and they stuck me in the hardest most stressful part of the prison segregation. even though my coworkers and Lt and Cpt supported me 110% left a lot of great friends there.

You really need to listen to the folks that run these prisons and do the dirty work and watch these wardens and assistant wardens a lot better

Dead end entry level job

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of overtime if you want it.

Cons

Working conditions are poor, policy's and rules are not clear and management changes the rules to fit there needs. No wage increases at anytime. Officers bring in contraband regularly . Staff is lazy and unwilling to help.

Overall, good company to work for.

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America

Pros

Paid well, great benefits. Lots of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Long hours, not very flexible scheduling.

integrity

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the pay is pretty good....

Cons

reminds me of high school

Horriable

Former Employee - Officer in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Officer in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of hrs. Decent benefits

Cons

You are treated horrible. Inmates are treated better.

Stress, verbal abuse, and hours until you drop.. Literally!

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pays better than some state corrections. Good benefits, excellent 401k. Plenty of overtime!!

Cons

The turn over if so high because these people in management will literally such the life out of you. Three employees sent out to the hospital for heart related issues. People being forced to work 7 days in a row 12 hours a day. The management talk down to CO's and make then feel two inches tall and when it's brought to anyone higher.. They shrug their shoulders and walk away. The next day your takes from your post to work the worst part of the building because you opened your mouth. So when you realize that this is bull and leave all the time and effort you put in.. And certificates and awards don't mean anything when you get out into the real world again. Work here to save up your money and get your feet wet in corrections, then move on. Anything longer if not worth your time or your health.

Could be great

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America

Pros

Corporate organization has a solid and profitable outlook on the future

Cons

Too Many to count. However, "life/work balance" is preached but not respected

CCA is political and unfriendly company. Trying to be like government they have lost their family feel.

Current Employee - Director in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Director in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Big company benefits and opportunities to advance in a fairly stable industry. Some great individuals work here, if you are looking for a JOB, it's a good one. If you can just put in your time and go home without caring, CCA is right for you.

Cons

Watch your back! Advancement is all about manipulation of systems and politics, so gossips and rumors and favors rule. Mistakes are rarely admitted. Nothing is quite as it seems, and nothing is explained until after it happens, so you always feel unsettled. Things are constantly changing, and they keep trying new things, but keep people in the dark.

Stop following lawyers and politicians, or you will go the way of the country. Stand out, be excellent. Get out of the politics game and be honest with our own people. Stop trying so hard to be like everyone else!

Corporate Focus is Fine, Facilities Need HELP

Current Employee - ITS A Secret in New York, NY
    Current Employee - ITS A Secret in New York, NY

Pros

If you are interested in working in the Criminal Justice field and want to move up relatively quickly, then CCA can be a decent choice since it has 60+ facilities scattered across the U.S.--bearing in mind that most of them are in the South or Southwest. The corporate office (Facility Service Center/FSC) is actually the best part of CCA in my opinion even though I work at a facility. Corporate has excellent leadership who really do have the best interests of the company in mind, and the leaders are actually competent in what the do-something that is unfortunately relatively rare in many organizations of any size. Corporate has a lot of talented people and does come up with some great ideas and initiatives.

Cons

Many of the facilities suffer from VERY high turnover, in the neighborhood of 50% or more. This turnover and understaffing means a LOT of overtime for correctional staff whether they like it or not. In the facilities which are not unionized and have the lower-paying state contracts, the overtime may not necessarily be a bad thing for those who are trying to support a family.

A lot of the facilities are also located in tiny towns in the middle of nowhere so there is a very clannish atmosphere with the whole 'friends 'n families" system that comes into play with hiring and promotions at the facility level. The position I have allows me to interact relatively frequently with other facilities and I hear the same complaint from other facilities about cliques and nepotism. I guess it is probably difficult to draw a larger applicant pool of non-related individuals when the nearest city is 50+ miles away though. At my facility, the issue is with supervisors being related to non-supervisory staff...

The nature of the job for Corrections Officers can be stressful to some extent because they are working with inmates who can be disorderly, verbally abusive, or (infrequently) physically combative towards to officers. It isn't uncommon to hear the CO's state that the stressful parts of their jobs are the supervisors and not the inmates. Quite a few of the Senior Correctional Officers are rude over the radio, lack professionalism in general, and do not properly train the officers in their area. Shift supervisors also can act this way towards officers. Personally, I don't understand it because any other place that I have worked this unprofessionalism would not be tolerated.

Retention initiatives should be considered since all of this turnover in security staff is not conducive to the goal of providing a secure environment and impacts morale negatively. It's also costly from a recruiting and training standpoint. First-line supervisors and shift supervisors need serious development, and pay for officers need to be looked at.

You have a great corporate team, but your facilities need a lot of help. Spend some time at the facilities and do some troubleshooting and also look at them to make sure they are acting in the best interests of the company. If facilities would implement some of the corporate initiatives more fully, they would be better places to work--send some FSC people to help this happen and make sure they actively involve the facility leadership team to sell them on the idea.