Corrections Corporation of America

Corrections Corporation of America Reviews

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
2.6

Corrections Corporation of America President, CEO, and Director Damon T. Hininger
Damon T. Hininger

Pros
  • Good pay,good benefits,days off,paid time off (in 5 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, paid vacation, paid holidays, paid sick time, guaranteed forty plus hours a week (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Unprofessional upper management (in 5 reviews)

• Prison stays understaffed(to line the business's pockets) so that means mandatory overtime; make you come on your day off, or write you up (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

it was good for a start.overtime available.

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Sayre, OK
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Sayre, OK

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay,good benefits,days off,paid time off

Cons

Remote location of the facilty

Not employee friendly

Former Employee - Recreation Coordinator in Eloy, AZ
    Former Employee - Recreation Coordinator in Eloy, AZ

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay in Arizona is good.

Cons

Unless you are executive staff they don't take care of employees.

Weed out the garbage that prevent being an enjoyable place to work,

My experience with this had it's highs and lows but overall it was not good.

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This would be a good job if we were treated with respect. There are no pros I can think of.

Cons

The Leadership sucks. The pay is low. There are no pay raises. And the forced 16 plus hour shifts are wrong. No wonder you have a 88% turnover rate.

Quit acting like your better than everyone else. Trust me your not. Stop the 88% turnover rate.

Remember this is not a vacation spot its a PRISON! The job is NOT for everyone.

Current Employee - Corrections Officer in Cushing, OK
    Current Employee - Corrections Officer in Cushing, OK

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Upgrades at the facility are always happening. The Upper management can always be accessed.

Cons

Benefits are standard for this Industry. The feeling there is a lack of backup is frustrating.

There needs to be more mandatory physical training for the staff some of the guards are way out of shape to do the job. Change the uniforms to BDU's for the guards.Restrict the movement of the Inmates on the yard. Place more officers in the Pods to ensure the safety of the staff and Inmates also there needs to be more guards patrolling the outside of the wire, and place stationary guards in the problems areas outside the wire. There should be a constant reactionary unit placed at each and everyone of the facilities The company needs to actively recruit more military Veterans,because the mindset is different from non-military individuals.

It's not what you know...

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America

Pros

Promotion comes quickly and employee engagement is a plus

Cons

Always being stuck at work to work double shifts. Not having back up from your unit team members. Forced to sit in the pod daily.

Prejudiced

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Florence, AZ
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Florence, AZ

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, paid vacation, paid holidays, paid sick time, guaranteed forty plus hours a week. The Supervisors are on site at all times.

Cons

You are nothing more than a number for these people. They would like you to believe that they care for their employees. They do not.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Detention Officer in California City, CA
    Former Employee - Detention Officer in California City, CA

I worked at Corrections Corporation of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Job it self, good schedules,

Cons

to many differences between locations. no continuity between locations. (pay, training, management)

Leadership needs to be the same mind set. no matter the facility. pay should not be a matter of dollars but cents.

A real bad solution, to housing americas inmate population

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Nashville, TN

Pros

its a paycheck every 2 weeks

Cons

the company thinks they invented corrections! they coudn't be more worng, they treat staff and inmates very poorly, like property. staff is very under trained. ACA standards used as needed but again they think they invented ACA standards. its only a matter of time till they get someone killed. oh wait! its already happened

you get what you pay for... hire more staff and pay them to stick around

Easy job, with a lot of politics and drama with staff.

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Whiteville, TN
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Whiteville, TN

I have been working at Corrections Corporation of America full-time

Pros

This is one of the better paying jobs in my area, if you have no degree. It's an easy job. Decent benifits package.

Cons

There are a lot of cliques. Everything is a popularity contest. The pay is low for the job you do. It is considered a hazardous job, but you barely make over min wage.

Treat your people better. We like to see that we're appreciated for the work we do, especially on night shift. Raise the pay. We put our lives in danger for $5 less per hr than most low paying police departments, to do the same job. Promote based on who can do the job and not who's popular.

My short time in private corrections

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Eloy, AZ
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Eloy, AZ

Pros

Lots of hours available if you want them, and sometimes if you don't.

Cons

Gossiping staff members, so if you don't want "everyone" to know then don't tell "anyone." Also don't expect inmates to be disciplined the way policy states. They will get way with a lot so just grin and bare it. Lastly there is a lot of family relationships among staff so be careful who you say anything to.

Mentor new security staff. If no one explains the correct procedures it will not be done correctly.