Corrections Corporation of America

Corrections Corporation of America Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Corrections Corporation of America President, CEO, and Director Damon T. Hininger

Damon T. Hininger

Pros
  • Good pay,good benefits,days off,paid time off (in 5 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, paid vacation, paid holidays, paid sick time, guaranteed forty plus hours a week (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Prison stays understaffed(to line the business's pockets) so that means mandatory overtime; make you come on your day off, or write you up (in 4 reviews)

• Unprofessional upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a moral builder.

Correctional Officer (Current Employee) Youngstown, OH

ProsJob Security. There will always be criminals.
    Company is aggressive about maintaining a client base and does everything possible to expand it. Good amount of time off.

ConsWork schedule is not the best; six on two off for most weeks then an adjustment week. Very difficult to work a regular life outside work. Must put in for vacation days 1 year in advance. Not easy to get short plans accomplished.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more people orientated. (They think they are but they are not.)

It's Not What You Know . . .

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsLongevity and leading position in the industry. Hardworking people who begin with the best intentions but become jaded or just getting by after years of not getting rewarded.

ConsGood ole boys network based on who you know, not what you know. Lots of talk about employee engagement and liking each other for who we all are, but not enough evidence to back up the chatter. Low pay in general. Diminishing benefits.

You are in prison too

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people I worked with who cared about the jobs they were trying to do.

Conslack of confidentiality and lots of gossiping from upper management, Lousy orientation and no training for job specific tasks, lack of proper communication to all who needed to know. Upper management was in your personal business too often.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo corporate - pay attention to what your facility employees are telling you. They don't contact you to waste your time - there are big problems.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a good experience.

Management (Current Employee) Florence, AZ

ProsGood compensation, room for career advancement

ConsCareer advancement becomes difficult after reaching a certain level

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement true succession planning

UnCaring Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsUniforms, free prison food if you could stomach it, a place to get your boots shined for cheap, a place to get a cheap hair cut.

ConsCared very little about the people that worked for them, we were all replaceable, this is a business that just happens to house inmates. They care about the inmates and the employees about the same. Very sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrity

Low pay, bad management, and inmate abuse -- oh my!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are a power loving wise-guy this is the place for you.

ConsCCA promotes the abuse of inmates. Using their power to cover up sexual abuse and etc. The company is known to withhold inmates food and privileges until lawsuits are dropped. They will stop at nothing to make money.

Be prepared to work 20-25 hours of overtime a week to make it. The pay is that low.

It's a joke place to work.

Correctional Officer (Former Employee) Chattanooga, TN

ProsNone .If I had a friend I did not want speaking to me ever agin I will Highly recommend Silver dale.

ConsSee title me turning in a notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit acting like you are smarter than everyone .Management is a bunch of ego maniacs. You could not beg me to go back to work there.
    Does management realize why so many former employees have lawsuits ageist the company?

Where do I start

Correctional Officer (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsCan't think of any at this time

ConsPolitical, If your not in the right groups don't expect to get promoted. Over worked! IF you love overtime then you'll fit in because there's tons of mandatory overtime!!! Everyone comes here and several people by the time they've been here 2 or so months leave so we are always short on staff so the Correctional Officers suffer! Correctional officers are stuck working some weeks 5 out of the 7 days. Not Captains, Lieutenants, Correctional Counselors, Pretty much anyone besides Correctional officer!

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider raising the pay, making people besides just Correctional Officers work overtime. There are tons of things that people besides correctional officers can do! Pill call, count, different facility security checks. That will free up Officers and put them back into units.

If you aren't part of the Clique, You won't move up!

Correctional Officer (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsAll the overtime you want.....and that's about it....

Cons-No idea if you will be relieved for that shift, 12 hour shift turns into 16 (Lack of leadership)
    - Hug a thug mentality; write someone up, takes the inmates word over yours (Scared of being sued)
    -Superiors talk to staff like they are inmates
    -Prison stays understaffed(to line the business's pockets) so that means mandatory overtime; make you come on your day off, or write you up
    -Superiors hate paperwork so when you do write an inmate up…the inmate may never receive due to it being 'lost', or it goes past the 24 hours time frame that they have to be served.
    -Favoritism - Some C/Os are in the clique don't have to work units or they have their certain spots…to the point where they'll move multiple people so these people don't have to work with the inmates…
    -Mandatory overtime list, but it is rarely followed…some people get 'stuck' day after day…so a 12 hour day turns into a 16 hour day…back to back…
    -To move up you have to be apart of the clique…there is a lot of unprofessional flirting and relationships/affairs

Advice to Senior ManagementStop having the backs of administration staff who treat the staff poorly or promote favoritism, or turning a blind eye...no wonder turnover was over 30% for the year...(twice the national average)

Poorest working conditions I have ever experienced

Correctional Officer (Former Employee) Chattanooga, TN

ProsUnlimited overtime money to be made

ConsNo breaks, no lunch or dinner breaks, no bathroom breaks, no water, can work 12 to 18 hours a day without any kind of breaks, no protection from inmate attacks, no holidays, all management is cold and uncaring

Advice to Senior ManagementBe kinder to employees,

Worked for Corrections Corporation of America? Contribute to the Community!