Corsair

Updated November 4, 2014
2.7

Andy Paul

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company moving to change directions and overcome some past challenges; excellent road ahead of growth and profit.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at Corsair full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, perks like time off, shutdown and holiday policies, solid co-workers that are great, and good company values.

Cons

More training would be great, more work-life balance would be nice, like telecommuting; more recognition and rewards.

Transparency in all dealings with the employees and the company; get around and meet with managers and employees more often on a one to one basis; ask for feedback and then make the genuine changes and effort whenever and wherever possible.

Great Experience So Far!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Corsair full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people at Corsair have been wonderful to work with. Everyone is pretty laid back but also has a sense of urgency when it comes down to business. I am really enjoying my time here, the CEO seems very friendly and has a great sense of humor during the company meetings. Also, I LOVE the fact that we have quarterly functional meetings with the CEO and a small group of employees were we are free to ask any questions to the CEO. Management team at Corsair want to see you grow as an individual and take on more responsibility as your time progresses at Corsair.

Cons

Only cons is the pay can be a little higher to meet market but overall pretty decent.

Pleasant & Friendly

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Corsair as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I have been here for about 2 weeks now and everyone seems very pleasant and friendly to work with. The pay is OK too. Corsair has great products, which is why I wanted to work for them in the first place. People here are available to answer questions if you have any, which helps a lot. From my experience so far, Corsair seems to really care about employees and the people they hire. Nice place to work at. Freeway access is great too.

Cons

The only Con that I can think of right now is people having no consideration when walking up and down the stairs, which creates a lot noise.

The Small guy trying to play big.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Corsair full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment, great co-workers, at certain level/departments (sales only) work-life balance. Good looking offices, great social events like Christmas party, summer picnic.

Cons

Salaries, upper management, information not being shared, no training at all, no people skills as a requirement to be a manager, no coaching, no career development, no manager/leader to admire/follow.

Put more thinking behind how your managers are trating/develop their people/teams.. Invest in your people and you will retain talent and knowledge giving you the competitive advantage that you are looking in your products.

Good intentions vs scary bad senior management

Current Employee - Professional in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Professional in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Corsair full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart and passionate employees who work hard.

Cons

Horrible senior management. CEO is cheap and strange, recently preferring to spend more time off on safari than at work. New COO is a nightmare. She is the worst micro-manager I have ever seen, whose lack of humility is only exceeded by her willingness to make "snap decisions" without understanding the facts. New board (following investment by Francisco Partners) has made things worse.

Do not look for empowerment at Corsair. Do not expect to be compensated fairly, or that annual reviews will have any relationship to reality. Nobody here knows how to manage people.

Start looking beyond HP for senior management experience.

Outstanding potential, unique culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Corsair full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company still has a small company feel sometimes so you can usually see the direct results of your efforts very quickly.

Lots of potential for growth for those who can show results quickly. Lots of good people in management who want the company to succeed and dedicate tons of their personal time to that effort.

Passionate people are rewarded well - I frequently see people who put in extra efforts and come up with ideas get promoted or get extra attention and responsibilities.

Old-fashioned, tightly run when it comes to spending. Even in the worst environments (and in a memory business that happens frequently) the company has maintained profitability through belt-tightening.

The culture is great - a can-do attitude is present in all the best employees and managers. From the CEO to our lowest hourly employee, those who are willing to get work done will go far.

Cons

As some have mentioned, work-life balance is a struggle. Because the company is run so tightly, frequently you have to wear multiple hats. For some people this is not the type of environment they enjoy, as it requires a willingness to help out in things that may not be "your job".

Salary could be more competitive, especially at the lower levels.

Bonus and profit sharing plan is somewhat stingy and was changed a few years ago to be so.

Our hit-rate on managers and executives brought in from other companies hasn't been stellar. Some real stars have shown up, but it seems more have fizzled out and brought in their giant egos, cashed their giant salaries, and then eventually been given giant exit packages. Too many executives who thought they were amazing but didn't show any real results.

Refine compensation to be more competitive - especially bonus plan. Tie bonus/profit sharing plan directly to objectives for that individual employee rather than the group profit sharing.

Refine hiring process for executives - some have been pretty unimpressive, to say the least.

Turnover at the contollers level.

Former Employee - Cost Accounting Manager in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Cost Accounting Manager in Fremont, CA

I worked at Corsair full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Interesting product and the conection with international operations.

Cons

Turnover at the controllers level.

None

Don't work here

Former Employee - Senior Management in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Fremont, CA

I worked at Corsair full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing positive I can say about the company or their values. Worst place I have ever worked. Stay away from doing business with this company or working for them.

Cons

Very cheap. CEO is very unethical and they don't care about their customers or employees. They treat employees like equipment. It starts at the top

Start by having some company values that you actually follow

Review of Corsair Memory

Former Employee - Executive in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Executive in Fremont, CA

I worked at Corsair full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is nothing positive about this company.

Cons

This is a bad business. You don't want to work for Corsair. Their CEO has a tight grip of the company and micromanages everyone. He is not loyal to anyone. It doesn't matter what you accomplish at Corsair. You can never win. It's a bad political environment filled with backstabbing and other bad practices. Most often they let people go without any good cause. I left this company myself, but I had to work 12 hours a day to survive. I wouldn’t be surprised if they get sued one day, and I hope they do. Corsair “Bad” Memory is now called Corsair Components. Stay away from Corsair. You will regret otherwise. It takes only 3 days for you to learn what kind of mess you have walked to. They have gone through 8 Controllers in the past 5 years.

Change their practices before they get sued. Find a new CEO. Find a new CFO.

Beware - Save yourself!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at Corsair full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The holiday party was nice, they have an onsite BBQ & an offsite company picnic. There were many friendly people.

Cons

The salary is painfully low on the low end jobs. They do not offer any other perks, no onsite snacks, no beverages other than the flavia coffee dispenser, they dont even have a water cooler! They have a purifier hooked up to the tap - classy! Company has been plannin the IPO for years, never went through. They changed the profit sharing plan, so you get nothing to what your peers got. The management in my department demonstrated BAD leadership, where they carried personal conversations for HOURS in front of the team, typically didint know how to resolve any problems, swept problems under the rug and Blamed YOU for the consequences. An enourmous amount of work, no support to streamline or adjust, workload or headcount, lacked communication of recent changes or updates. Little training. Lots of people in the company who verbally curse at you and disrepect you, other slackers still holding a job... doesnt make sense.

Survey your employees and rate management, try a 360 approach. Consider bringing in higher level leaders to bring change, vs promoting people who don't have the experience. Put an end to those who curse at employees.

Corsair Photos