Cortera Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Jim Swift

1. It's Like anything in life - It is what you make of it!

I have been working at Cortera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What is there not to like. We work M-F No nights, No Weekends. Pulse is a great product. We are given all of the tools to make sales and money. We are provided training, a working computer and a phone. We work in an exquisite office, in a nice building. We are provided great benefits, including salary, medical, dental, life insurance, vacation days, pto and from time to time company provides paid lunches.

Cons

It is a shame that some individuals that used to work here and a few current employees at Cortera are lazy. You need to pick up the phone and make calls. Deals are not going to fall on your desk. Hard work does not go unnoticed. There are daily spiff and monthly bonuses which are very generous.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to have monthly or quarterly meetings in small groups to see who is in the game and who is not. The people that do not have their head in the game to be coached or removed quickly.

It is what you make of it.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Cortera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Set hours, Monday through Friday, the floor manager is really nice, random spiffs to compensate for low commission. It is a job.

Cons

No room for growth. Drama and gossip. Very unrealistic expectations. No marketing (hardly, it is getting better) but hard to compete with D&B. BETTER BE ON TIME! Even if you are a minute late for the morning meeting- it will def. not go unnoticed.

Advice to Management

Make it more obvious there is room for advancement. Promoting someone who has been there 4 years and bringing someone from the outside for a promotion role does not give any promise to current reps for growth.

My biggest mistake was not quitting this job months ago! Stay clear of this company!!!

I have been working at Cortera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From a quality job standpoint, there are none. If $30,000 a year is enough to live on for you, I advise you to explore this further but if you are looking for any sort of career advancement or you want to be happy - just forget about it. I'm one of the top reps here and truth be told, I'm not making any money even though the quality leads go to only a few of us.

Cons

This job and company sucks. You better not believe any of the lies on the job advertisements or at the interview about the commission you can make. They tell you there is potential to make an extra $30k/year in commission - that is such a joke and a huge lie. I'm a current employee and I can tell you without bias that the top rep here is on track to make $6,000 in commission this year if she is lucky.

Advice to Management

I can't stand half the reps you have here. They are all self-centered and they all hate their jobs. Do something about raising morale in here, and raise the pay a little. Even though I benefit from the current hot lead rotation, it's just not fair to other reps. It makes them resent their jobs and the company even more. Marketing is pretty much non-existent - we haven't seen many returns from the little investment that management put in that department

Account Executive at Cortera (What a joke, and waste of time)

I have been working at Cortera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of a single one. There are no employee benefits of note to be excited about. If you can get by on $2400 a month, then this might be the job for you. You don't need a college education to snag this job. A high school diploma will do.

Cons

The company's business model itself is flawed. Cortera is trying to sell a third rate product in an industry already dominated by Dunn & Bradstreet. I don't know of one employee that is happy here. Everybody looks angry everyday because they hate their jobs. I hate my job too and I can't wait to quit in two weeks. It has been a total waste of time. When you interview they promise you can make $65,000 - $70,000 a year. That is a huge joke and an absolute lie. The best Account Executive here is on track to make $42,000 this year if is she's lucky, and she's been doing this for years. All the current Account Executives I work with are losers in my opinion. They probably cannot find anything better so they stay until they get fired. My advice is to not waste your time like I did because you will regret it, guaranteed.

Advice to Management

Revamp your sales team, starting with management. Spend money on marketing, and give recruits/interviewees realistic expectations about compensation. Don't inflate the numbers just to make them accept your job offer, it makes them resent the company even more when they find out the reality.

nothing is what it seems....

I worked at Cortera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

it's not roofing or landscaping. you don't have to dig holes or bake in the sun. you get free coffee.

Cons

a true dead end job. everyone there hates their job and is in constant fear of losing it. they hang the possibility of termination over your head as some sort of motivation. But in all reality, it just forces you to keep the search alive for a new job. there is no future at this company and no opportunity for advancement. there is no structure. everything is an experiment. everyone is in everyone else's business, including HR. there is constant immature bickering bc management has no control of the sales department. this company is miles behind the competition despite what they tell you. If you have any ambition and desired to succeed, stay away. if you are looking for a 8-5 with low pay and low job security, request an interview. they will probably hire you on the spot.

Advice to Management

be honest and upfront about expectations. do not wing it and make them up on the fly.

If you have no ambition, this is the company for you

I have been working at Cortera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any. I don't know of one employee here that is happy with their job. Dead-end.

Cons

Horrible pay structure and work environment. Commission is non-existent even though they promise you the world. Employees all have horrible attitudes because they all hate their jobs. The sales team is a joke and the Product they're trying to sell is pathetic. If you have no ambition, this really is the company for you.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the stipulation that companies must submit their data. It's a ridiculous business model - Will never grow the company this way. Also, find a better caliber of employees to replace the losers you call a sales team

A Telemarketing Job Meant to Collect Private Company Information

Former Employee - Sales in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Sales in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Cortera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working at Cortera is the paycheck, which is $1,100 every two weeks. Commission is almost non-existent. There are cool tools in place that track everything a potential customer clicks.

Cons

There is 100% turnover in telemarketing every 6 months (15-20 people). Most reps are decent people except for the suspected drug addicts. They may recruit people from half-way houses, I don't know. People fall asleep in meetings blaming sleep apnea, but it is not sleep apnea. Management is desperate for sales, which have been waning. Management had a master plan to make certain reps they hired superstars in order to make an example of everyone else. Those people got more leads than everyone else and made more sales, but still complained about the low commission to the rest of the team. Sales Management is fired every November. There is a 33%-50% cancellation rate with this product because people don't find it useful for whatever reason. It's a lead-loss product meant to increase sales of other products and also collect information on private businesses. Senior Management is cold and lacking in any real ability to assess the abilities of reps. They believe a lot of salespeople's lies. The salespeople know who is lying. It's obvious. The CEO is in a position to cut costs because the company is just breaking even on profits, which is good considering that there was a $60M capital investment made in the company 7 years ago.

Advice to Management

Drug test your candidates.

Sale representative

I worked at Cortera

Pros

You get a base of 35k. You might not make any commission but you Atleast get 1200 every two weeks.

Cons

Data is no where near the leading competition. D&B is single handedly owning the market. Cortera will lie to about the commission opportunities(30-60k in commission potential all lies). Sale manager mark also dictate who gets sales leads instead of evenly distributing. Hostile environment. No real marketing department. You'll make more selling cell phones. Seem cool the first week or so then you see the management true colors. Please stay far away from this company. Getting paid 15th and 30. Cash flow must be low.

Advice to Management

Get a real marketing staff. Don't hire ppl then add (one) marketing person. Also pay employees based off the account size. Stop changing the commission structure. Stop cap-ing commission earning. Put more money into the company, so sales rep wouldn't have to lie about data being comprabable to D&B. GET RID OF THE STUPID RINGING THE BELL. STOP WITH THE MORNING MEETING!! Make them eating between hours of 8-5pm. Not on the employees time at 745-8. That inconveniences the employee, early in the morning.

Lucky to work at Cortera. I learn something valuable everyday.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Cortera full-time

Pros

1. The value (price and quality) of the product and data reports after working at a company where all product was shipped and credit terms applied. 2. The industry is not saturated. 3. Brilliant employees and coworkers!

Cons

Its far from where I live (about 30 minutes) but its worth it...

Advice to Management

I am satisfied with management 1. employee culture is promoted by in and of-the-office social events ---more of those would be awesome. 2. My managers have always been flexible and understanding with my schedule and things that come up in life.

Lets look at actual data points about a data company.

I have been working at Cortera

Pros

I am a current employee and have been working at the company for almost 2.5 years. I have noticed that many of the reviews on this site don’t have any real facts or data associated with them. So, in the spirit of Cortera being a data company, I thought I would write my review using actual data points that can be confirmed by anyone. Regarding the company’s business model and product, the company is one of the largest commercial credit bureaus in the US (data point #1), and based on its current trajectory, will become the largest quickly. The company has thousands of customers (data point #2) which tells me the product is pretty cool. How could thousands of customers all be wrong? Regarding the business model and the CEO, please look at Cortera’s investors on its website. Cortera has some of the smartest and best technology investors in the world (data point #3). These investors investing in Cortera’s business model and in the CEO speaks volumes about the quality of the business model and the CEO. Prior to buying Cortera, the CEO built and sold one of the biggest success stories in the data world (data point #4). He is on the path to recreate that success. Several of the CEO’s former employees have followed him to Cortera which tells me they are following a good leader. Examples: His former R&D Director followed the CEO to Cortera (data point #5). She is now the CIO for Cortera. His former employee in administration followed the CEO to Cortera. She now heads up product management & development for Cortera (data point #6). Another former employee in administration followed the CEO to Cortera. She is now the office manager and a key person in customer service (data point #6). Regarding the sales commission plan, just last evening (data point #7) I heard the team discussing a “golf check, oversized check” to present to a sales rep for the month. My understanding is that it will be a five-figure check for making one sale this month. Regarding the employees and the culture, Cortera has some of smartest people I have ever met. It is a fast paced and fun environment. I have worked in many industries from bending nails in construction to professional positions in financial services, software, and healthcare services. So, I have worked with lots of different kinds of people. I can tell you it is a genuine privilege for me to work with everyone at Cortera.

Cons

You have to decide/realize if you are a “work for results” or “deserve entitlements for showing up” employee. If you are a “worker”, Cortera is a great place and you have the ability to thrive. If you fall into the “entitlement” camp, Cortera is not going to be the right place for you. This is also what is driving some of the negative reviews on this site. So, you just need to be realistic about your what kind of employee you are when joining.

RSS Feed </> Embed