Così

2.8

R. J. Dourney
1 Rating

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company, trying to be a national brand

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Così full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance was good, employees were great, atmosphere good

Cons

Bonuses were non existent, no matter what they say when you interview. Corporate is a little out of touch with the stores but they are trying to make it better

Cut out the stores that are underachieving or replace the managers who are so set in their ways. it is not helping the company.

Discount at their restaurants will be your greatest perk

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Così full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a good place for someone just starting out in business. There isn't really any room for professional growth but if you need experience to put on your resume for the next phase of your career, this place will at least be a paycheck while you look for "the next big thing."

Cons

The company and management ask for you to give 100% of yourself but don't give their employees anything in return. Don't expect to go anywhere though - this isn't a place where you can climb a ladder. The business isn't run very well. Employees at their restaurants aren't very happy and don't like the Corporate office. It can makes working at the Corporate office tense at times.

When an employee shows a little initiative, encourage them. I have never worked for a company that punished me so much for wanting to actually do my job well. And when I had some free time because I was done with my job and tried to help out someone else in my department who looked like they could use the help, I got in trouble for that too. Also, try hiring people who are actually qualified to do their jobs. Just because someone has a degree in a field doesn't mean that they are qualified for the job. When someone with 20 years of experience and no degree is correcting the college grad's work because it caused major problems, don't tell the experienced person that they are wrong for wanting to fix the error. No wonder your company can't make money.

Moving to Boston, given less than 3 weeks notice

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Così full-time

Pros

Stores are isolated from the corporate mess. Work at a store for more security.

Cons

Obviously, the upcome closure and move to Boston. Higher cost of living, and little incentive to go. I don't think management wants any of the existing staff.

Get it together; make decisions and have PLAN for what you do, oh COMMUNICATE.

Dont expect this place to be around much longer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Così full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual work environment at corp office, nice people. Lack of budget meant not much big projects, so light work week with a lot of facebook time.

Cons

Extremely behind on the technology curve due to lack of budget, very poor communication from management. To many knee jerk reactions in operations. Employees who are not good at their job manage to stay around. Very high turnover on corp side, definite jumping ship feeling. Company is going the wrong direction and wont be around much longer unless someone makes to drastic changes.

Gotta spend money to make money. Executive team needs new blood. All of it.

NOT WORTH IT.

Former Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL

I worked at Così part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount,
    some friendly co workers
    friendly regular guests.
    tips

Cons

4 weeks in and I had had enough. GM is a total JERK. Does not know how to talk to the employees at all.

Start structuring the training. Don't toss a book and expect to know every single thing. And then proceed to tell us our positions have a high turn over rates because people can't handle it. THAT IS WHY!. Ur GM's need to learn how to talk to employees instead of making condescending comments every 5 seconds. BARISTA is the worst position. You are expected to run, food take orders, make coffee drinks etc. You get yelled at because its so hard for the boss to come correct an order....Please, I have been a shift manager for a different company and treated all employees with kindness. If you can't handle constant harsh criticisms and ignorant remarks then don't bother. NOTHING is organized its a hot mess company.

Good job during high school. Get your internship if your in college.

Current Employee - Barista/Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Barista/Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Così

Pros

Free bread/bagels at night, great co workers, instructive management.
    Cool music, but it gets old. Nice atmosphere.

Cons

Tips aren't allowed, some customers can be snooty.
    Training is insufficient for the perfection expected once it's over.
    Interior design could be much better. Panera's is better.

Buy better quality brooms that don't fall apart every 5 minutes. They are a physical manifestation that the company doesn't care at all about their employees work experience. Training needs to be longer. Why not place your wall menu somewhere the customer can easily see it once they are ordering?

Cosi General Manager

I worked at Così

Pros

The food is awesome! Most all of the people I met were great. They pay well and there is opportunity for bonus. Most all of the managers that I met were very supportive. Cosi offers a great atmosphere. Overall, it is a great place to work.

Cons

Its the restaurant business, so you know there will be long hours. They open early in the morning and some stores close late into the evening, so your days could be very long.

The District Manager that I had was awesome. He is a stand up guy who did a great job.