Cost Cutters Reviews

1. Great family run company

Current Employee - Lead Stylist in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Lead Stylist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Cost Cutters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We have the benefits of a large company but still small enough to get to know most of the other salon employees. We have lots of contests and incentives throughout the year and they pay for our ongoing education.

Cons

The work hours due to being open 7 days a week. We just got word that staring in Sept we will no longer be open until 9 that the salons will close at 8.

2. hard work and horrible pay awful corporation to work for

Former Employee - Cosmetologist in Bullhead City, AZ
    Former Employee - Cosmetologist in Bullhead City, AZ

I worked at Cost Cutters (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to move up but it seems like they don't ever recognize the right people for that.

Cons

Everything don't work there stay away

Advice to Management

Do your job and be part of the team stop thinking being a manager is an excuse for you not to have to work

Cost Cutters Response

Jun 5, 2015 – HR Director

Cost Cutters are a Franchise company. This area is not our locations. We are in NE, IA and SD only.

3. Fun, profitable, and energizing.

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Cost Cutters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great Money, and fun work environment

Cons

Working with the public can have challenges

Advice to Management

Always groom employees for promotion

5. Great if you're a beginner stylist.

Current Employee - Cost Cutters in Gladstone, MO
    Current Employee - Cost Cutters in Gladstone, MO

I have been working at Cost Cutters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to build up clientele. You do get a base pay which helps.

Cons

They make it impossible for you to reach commission. The bosses would rather fire you instead of helping you get better. They'd rather hire someone else to pay less. then give raises and improve hairstylist.

Advice to Management

Do more positive reinforcement. We are people not robots.

6. It was ok

Former Employee - Stylist in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Stylist in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Cost Cutters part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid vacation even if you are PT, the ability to schedule appts, decent education and advanced training. Provided all equipment except shears.

Cons

Upper management was a joke. Didnt care at all about the employees, just how good you could make her look. Wasted more time having services done on herself than actually being an area supervisor. And god forbid you leave the company - they find ways to force you to stop talking to ex employees or threaten your job. Wayyy too many product lines to properly sell or have proficient knowledge of. Constantly color line hopping. Went through 3 lines in 4 years! Lost a lot of clientele due to the cheap crappy color lines to constantly cut costs while still raising prices.

Advice to Management

Keep better tabs on area supervisors. Limit and/or weed out some of the poorer selling product lines to avoid excessive overhead costs.

7. This was the most unprofessional company I have worked for, lacks structure and totally doesn't appreciate their people.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Cost Cutters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really can't think of any, compensation low, totally lacks structure, or values and staff morale is very low.

Cons

Salons are open seven days a week, and are always short staffed. I worked at four different stores during my time with company and everyone of them had a predominately new staff within one year. You are shuffled around, underappreciated and will work until you drop. Not a good place to work if you have a family because you will never see them. I seen girls right out of beauty school in salons by themselves with no supervision and no idea what they were doing.

Advice to Management

Remove the commercials from television that say our staff is trained to listen better and will give you a cut you love Training.is seriously lacking for those who desperately need it, and sometimes pushed upon stylist with years of experience. Listen to your employees, you've lost hundreds of quality people because you don't respect their personal lives and leave the ones In place that have no idea what they are doing just to save a buck. Respect your staff and your company in turn will be respected. I went to work for your company because you said you respected us and wanted it to a great balance of god, family, work. I never seen that actually happen. My worst job experience ever, and I'm 53 and have been working since I was 16 years old.

8. Received good education but no real way to showcase talent

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Geneseo, NY
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Geneseo, NY

I have been working at Cost Cutters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get experience under your belt as a beginner. Guaranteed paycheck if you don't have a client base.

Cons

I left because of corporate politics. The atmosphere is juvenile and the reputation is someone of a chop shop because of stylists with either low ambition and/or uneducated stylists

Advice to Management

Paying stylists more will help boost morale and ambition. It will also add value to their services. CUSTOMER SERVICE TRAINING IS A MUST!

9. Horrible

I have been working at Cost Cutters

Pros

Clients and being able to have freedom for doing color

Cons

Don't complain about unfair treatment if you wanna keep your job. They will always back there management and you end up looking bad and forced out of your job!

Advice to Management

Take your stylists more seriously. If we are complaining there is a reason. Don't sweap problems under the rug. Adsress the issues

10. Good place to start, not to grow

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Watertown, NY
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Watertown, NY

I worked at Cost Cutters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned fast how to be quick on my feet, utilize customer service, obtaining clientele base, and freshen up on sales routine.

Cons

not enough outside education, breaks for employees were always an issue, tons of disorganization, and started to take away the artistic concept of cosmetology.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees more. have an organized schedule for breaks and treat employees with kindness.

11. DO NOT WORK HERE!

Former Employee - Salon Manager/Hairstylist in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Salon Manager/Hairstylist in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Cost Cutters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hourly pay and always busy

Cons

35% commission, 10% commission on retail, hourly pay is minimum wage. the all day every day $8.95 haircuts and $6.95 coupons with the prices so low expect $1-$3 tip, always low on staff so she will schedule you 10-8 shift every week. If you are the new person after your 90 day period if you ask for a day off you will most likely not to get it. Have to work all weekend so you have no time for your own life. As a hairstylist it is exhausting standing when your working 40hr week when it is always busy and no time for a 30min break. Starts managers hourly pay start at $9.00hr when key holders get $8.50 hr. NO Benefits NO ce hours NO classes NO insurance NO vacation pay NO direct deposit, Nothing to work for just a paycheck. The owner takes care of customers first before her staff! She never listens to her managers on what we need from her. Managers do not make the schedule the owner does it. If you call for text her she will not respond back but depends on the situation. The owner will talk behind your back and you hear it from another employee or she will talk to other managers at her other locations! Very professional...yeah right....when there I a problem the owner will blame managers and she doesn't think that there is nothing wrong with her. She always wants us to up sell on clients but she has a client in her chair I've never hear her trying to "up sell" practice what you preach! She complains that she lives 1 hour away from this location...well that is not my fault! And the owner bought the cost cutters franchise first and she knew nothing about hair then got her cosmetology license but she doesn't know how it feels to start at the bottom as a hairstylist. And there's so much more! Do not work here! I can't believe I stuck it out for two years! It was not worth it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your managers and staff!

RSS Feed </> Embed