Cost Plus

Cost Plus Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Cost Plus President, CEO, and Director Barry J. Feld

Barry J. Feld

Pros
  • The employee discount is decent but used to be better before it was bought out by Bed Bath & Beyond(in 41 reviews)

• Great products, truly a store with something for everyone(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • That's sketchy to me and bad customer service(in 17 reviews)

• They push the explorer program to a point of making employees miserable over their percentages(in 17 reviews)

Middle of the road at Corporate HQ

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsPeople are very friendly and the office feels homey, atmosphere is relaxed, pay was above average for my years of experience.

ConsYour career will not move forward here. A lot of people at HQ are contractors, often for years.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your contract workers into salaried positions. It's so sad to watch people who are devoted to your company and to their jobs stay there for years without benefits. It ends up having a poor effect on the entire company.

Could have been so much better

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsGreat people and discount, decent dress code to work with

ConsManagement had no respect for students schedules

it was only a part time job

Stock Associate (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosyou can get days off whenever you need to.
    Stock associates get more hours than cashiers.

ConsTedious and strenuous work for minimum wage.
    Management expects too much despite being extremely understaffed.
    Urealistic expectations

Advice to Senior Managementgraveyard shifts need to start earlier than 2 AM.
    make realistic expectations

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Move on to your next choice

Department Head (Former Employee)

ProsI was with cost plus for almost two years and at this point I hate to say it but I can't think of any Pros. I was originally hired as seasonal help and quickly promoted to department head. I was part of a great team that was constantly yelped for our excellent customer service. So I guess the quick promotion and the wonderful people I worked with were both positives.

ConsHowever that all changed when a new General Manager came on the scene. (The third one in 18 months). She systematically eliminated/forced out the seasoned associates. (She wanted her own 'team'). One of my co-workers often said " this company is all stick and no carrot". No matter how hard working we were and how much the customers yelped us for our outstanding customer service, the new management was never satisfied. We were always being threatened with write ups for trivial matters. It goes without saying that the pay is minimal and the customers would often get better deals with their coupons than we, as employees, could get with our "employee discount". As a matter of policy we were often not allowed to use coupons or take advantage of markdowns that any normal customer could. It was as if our money was somehow not as good as the customers. Turn over is rampant and management doesn't seem to care. (I would guess that it is not a factor in their bonus). You would think that somewhere along the way they would realize that training is expensive and if they would treat their employees better that they would not have to always be short handed and always retraining. I am amazed at how much this company required/expected from minimum wage part time positions. (Unless you are management there are no full time positions. You are either part time under or part time over; their way of denying benefits and avoiding the requirements associated with full time positions).

From the outside it looks like a fun place to work but trust me, its not... its better to just be a customer. BTW cost plus is owned by Bed Bath and Beyond who gives out 20% coupons every time you turn around. As an employee we only get a 20% discount so how much do they appreciate their employees when any customer gets the same discount that you can get as an employee. Oh yes....and you can forget about that Christmas bonus. Mine was a $5 gift card to Starbucks from the district manager..... I don't even like Starbucks!

Bottom line is you will never be able to get everything done they expect because of the other duties outside of your regular job description they put on you, it will always be your fault and do not expect them to appreciate, respect or listen to you.... and corporate HR sticks by the store manager no matter how outrageous their actions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn something from GAP who just announced they were raising all employees to a minimum wage of $15 per hour citing the cost of turnover and training. They get it.... you don't. Moreover listen and learn to respect your employees. Many in the group I was in were college educated and retired from professional backgrounds....they actually had something to contribute. You run this company using an out-dated business model that works for you in this down economy but once competition for good employees heats up, it will bite you in the behind and you will be stuck with the dregs that can't get a job anywhere else. Give your employees a discount that is better than you give the customer or let them combine coupons with their discount to show your appreciation and require that the schedule be done at least one if not two weeks in advance. We were lucky if the schedule starting Sunday was posted by Friday.... another example of disrespecting your employees time and commitment.

Unsafe backbreaking job

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros20% discount on alcohol and merchandise.

ConsNothing at world market is easy. If you are assigned a task good luck finding the tools or supplies to do the job. Department heads do not have access to the office unless a supervisor is in there, even though they need access to their desk and computer. Every task takes longer than it needs to.

Stock room is not safe, and team lifts are not observed. You are expected to get on a 6 ft ladder to get chairs and merchandise off the perimeter with no safety rails. They would fail an OSHA inspection.

Cashiers are left alone at the register with them being the only employee on the sales floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince you use and abuse good employes don't be surprised when they no longer want to help you cover a shift if someone calls out. When someone steps down from a position don't expect them to keep doing that job for less pay.

Great potential but poor execution.

Supervisor of Operations (Current Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsThe products are great and entirely unique. They have the potential to be the best. Fast paced, customer focused environment.

ConsLittle to no growth potential. Some of the management staff are grossly unqualified. Mediocrity is widely accepted as success.

The good and bad

Lead Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsUnique and dynamic product. Upper management and buyers legitimately want to know your thoughts, concerns, and opinions. Fun working environment. Generally great customer base. Great benefits.

ConsTechnologically behind. Stock rooms to small and unsafe for the amount of goods sold. Although there are open opportunities, it takes a disrespectful amount of time to move into said opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild the bench and take risks on your internal candidates not external people who have no idea what a brand champion is.

Overall a good company to work for

Supervisor of Operations (Current Employee)

ProsWorld Market has a starting pay above min wage and decent benefits. They tend to promote from within so there is always a chance to grow.

ConsBudgeted labor makes it hard to not overwork some employees while still giving others decent hours. Very strict on sticking to PTO vs PT employees. Around peak seasons the stress level is high and there is extreme pressure to meet all deadlines while keeping to the company's standards for sales and customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more realistic in your expectations. You can't always have great customer service and set up a new shop every other week.

Excellent Company!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Spanish Fort, AL

ProsHours are great for part time and they will work with you if you are a hard worker. There is always the opportunity for upward mobility if you are a dependable worker and give your best.

ConsPay is minimum wage. Employment based on number of new accounts you sign up.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould invest in a higher pay to keep good employees longer.

Good work-life balance.

Copywriter (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsAgree with other reviews that it's a good stepping stone job. Not great pay or benefits, but the relaxed attitude mostly makes up for it. People care about the work but are friendly and laid-back.

ConsThere's a lot of mis-communication. Small mistakes go unnoticed too long and then everyone is too friendly to solve the problem.

Worked for Cost Plus? Contribute to the Community!