Cost Plus

Cost Plus Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Cost Plus President, CEO, and Director Barry J. Feld

Barry J. Feld

Pros:
  • "The employee discount is decent but used to be better before it was bought out by Bed Bath & Beyond"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Great products, truly a store with something for everyone"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "They push the explorer program to a point of making employees miserable over their percentages"
    in 17 reviews
  • "That's sketchy to me and bad customer service"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company culture.

ProsGreat people and fun company to work for.

ConsLots of work and limited resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be realistic about what can get done and what can't.

Great people, not so great advancement

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Riverside, CA

ProsI love working with the people here - all the employees tend to be friendly - and there are lots of interesting customers. The employee discount is decent but used to be better before it was bought out by Bed Bath & Beyond. The work schedule is also pretty flexible - just make sure the managers involved in making the schedule are fully aware of your schedule. You also have the option to sign up for a 401K.

ConsYou will not very many hours unless you are the general manager's special pet. If you want a higher position than mere store associate/cashier/stock person, you will likely need to be hired into a higher position from outside the company... that's right, you are very unlikely to be promoted, if ever. Training involves finding someone who has a little more time on the day you get trained and shadowing them: if they're a thorough teacher, great!, but if not, you may go a month or more still learning the store. Part-time-under and part-time-over do not get benefits anymore - no medical, dental, sick leave, or paid vacations. Also, at the store I work at, the GM does not like letting the seasonal people go when he's supposed to, so for months afterwards people scramble to get a second or third job just to make ends meet.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider being more equitable in the hours - it helps promote employee satisfaction. Also, when the Christmas season is over, let your seasonal help go so it doesn't put a strain on everyone's budgets. It's not fair to anybody. Furthermore, if you need more shifts covered, consider first asking if your current employees are willing to take on more shifts instead of hiring yet more people and leaving everyone with fewer hours. Most importantly, promote within the company instead of bringing new people in. People end up leaving when they find they have no opportunities here.

Sold out

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsRelaxed atmosphere, Great product, fun place to work

ConsTechnology isn't their thing, slowly turning into Bed, Bath & Beyond

Advice to Senior ManagementThe benefits need to be retooled.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall one of the best retail stores to work for.

ProsGood company to work for if you are a hard worker and like constant change. Overall fast paced environment but they are really big on working as a team to make sure that ultimately the customer leaves satisfied. There's also plenty of room for advancements if you choose to stay with the company long term.

ConsIt depends on where you work, if you're working at a retail location your experience there could go either way, good or bad, based on management. Any position you are in will be demanding, if you don't utilize the resources available, you will not succeed with this company.

Started Great

Gourmet Department Head (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsThe store itself is great. The products are unique certainly, and the people can be fun to work with.

ConsConstant reminders to pressure customers into signing up for reward program, second GM consistently made me feel like I wasn't doing my job well enough, constantly pulling me off my department duties to fill in for other people who couldn't show up.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your department heads. Chances are, we know what needs to be done, and we need you, as upper management, to support and guide us. Don't pull us out of our departments to run the register, and then get mad at us when our department isn't up to company standards.

Alright job, a good stepping stone.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIn my experiance, the work was never really too hard. The hardest is got was truck days and around the holidays. Bur for the most part it was pretty laid back.

ConsThe pay sucks. Its a little more than minimum wage. In my experiance, I had the worst boss, and requesting off was a huge pain. But hopefully thats not everywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementI actaully submitted a complaint about my boss to HR. She was the wicked witch of world market. Anyway, nothing came of it, and so I quit. definitely pay better attention to employees.

Frustrated with what could be a great job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployee discount is nice although decreased when company was bought by Bed Bath and Beyond. Products are unique but not always the best quality.

ConsGive stores enough labor to meet high sales and merchandising expectations of the company. If your department heads and supervisors have enough hours to execute their tasks the sales and excellent customer service will not be such a struggle.

Advice to Senior ManagementLow pay and low hours with no benefits makes it difficult for employees to make ends meet financially, coupled with the management demands for open availability make it impossible to work at a second job to supplement income.
    The push for rewards program sign ups is totally unreasonable given today's negative attitude toward sharing ones information. Present your program then let the customer decide if it's right for them. Don't punish employees for customer choices or worse yet create an environment where employees feel they need to trick customers into giving their info just to meet company expectations.

Disappointing

Stock Associate (Former Employee)
    Gilbert, AZ

ProsYou move up positions in the store pretty quickly

ConsManagers set unrealistic goals. They expect you to do certain things that they don't even do themselves.

Unappreciated

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsMost of the sales associates are nice to work with and the merchandise is unique

ConsManagement sucks!! I have been here for six years and been through 3 store managers now. They are all two faced and are out to make their pockets grow. They don't care about the little guy, and see sales associates as being expendable. We are replaceable. The pay is very low for what they expect and ask you to do. Human Resourses seems to be in cahoots with upper management and it is a waist of time to call them. You would be better off finding a new job if the problem is that bad

Advice to Senior ManagementHire from within the company, create employee loyalty.

Nice People

Clerk (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsVery laid back and fun

Consvery heavy lifting and tight stockroom

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Cost Plus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cost Plus reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cost Plus CEO Barry J. Feld. All 285 reviews posted anonymously by Cost Plus employees.