Cost Plus

Updated January 25, 2015
2.9

Cost Plus President, CEO, and Director Barry J. Feld
Barry J. Feld

Pros
  • The employee discount is decent but used to be better before it was bought out by Bed Bath & Beyond (in 46 reviews)

• coworkers, discount, customers are mostly friendly, great products (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • World Market is sacrificing customer service for under budget bottom line (in 21 reviews)

• Their Explorer program does not need to be forced on every customer (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Good part time work

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly associates, managers were nice, great discount on merchandise, will work with your school schedule

Cons

The way that customers are allowed and encouraged to speak to associates is not ok, minimal room for growth even when interest is expressed

The soft opening/soft closing procedure needs to end- at the end of an 8 hour shift or start of the day NO associate wants to have to welcome customers into the store a FULL half hour before the store even opens nor do we want to have to be polite to customers who think it's okay to shop as long as they need after the store closes.

Ok Seasonal Job

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Lakewood, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Lakewood, CA

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (less than a year)

Pros

20% off everything in the store is nice (even alcohol!) The general manager was nice and made me feel welcomed even though I was a mere seasonal worker bee.

Cons

There was very little training if any. No one ever told me how I was supposed to help close and then they get mad at me when I supposedly wasn't doing what I was supposed to be doing. This place is very unorganized and very understaffed. It's also gross how they don't thoroughly clean out the coffee/tea canisters every night, they just rinse them out. I also have never worked at a retail job where the other workers were so bitter and just overall douchy. Maybe it was just me they were douchy to. They always talked down to me and they took their job so seriously. This job reminded me why retail jobs make me feel dead inside.

Hire more people, you guys are way understaffed. It's great that you all want to provide amazing customer service but just keep in mind that if you want to accomplish that you'll need more staff. Otherwise you spend way too much time on one customer while angering all the other ones in line. You guys just need to be more organized.

Good first time job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Cost Plus

Pros

Discounts, easy training, slow pace, friendly coworkers, work-life balance

Cons

little to no hours, rude customers

Please responded to all service calls

Average Sales Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Aurora, CO

I worked at Cost Plus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best part about working there was the discount that was also applied to sale items. Everything except for occasionally furniture was worth the price.

Cons

Like in all retail, dealing with the general public. stressed out managers, or pushing extra sales can become stressful. Also, there is a lack of a set schedule.

Great at the beginning...

Current Employee - Department Head in Gresham, OR
    Current Employee - Department Head in Gresham, OR

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment, Great team, easy work

Cons

small hours, lack of support from supervisors

Give more loyalty to those that have been there and showed their loyalty to the company.

Full-time Supervisor

Current Employee - Supervisor in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Cost Plus

Pros

Always something interesting to do. Great employees who enjoy their jobs.

Cons

Some customers can be very demanding. Normal retail issues but overall minimal.

Great Company

Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Cost Plus full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic corporate support & supportive work environment

Cons

Very physical and demanding with 32 different departmenta to run. Rewards program is a grind along with the annual review process.

Go For It!

Dirty store, no training, no recognition whatsoever,fake store manager

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discount, fast paced during the holidays

Cons

No training, skewed view on customer service, micro management, lack of cleanliness

TRAIN! Even a seasonal employee, train. I knocked on the front door probably 5 Saturday morning in a row before someone told me there was a doorbell, don't you think the GM would have told me that? I also apparently was supposed to be a sales leader for an hour every shift, I found out about 8 shifts in what that even meant and what to do. The GM micro manages like crazy. I was actually told by him to take bathroom breaks only while on my break. I am sorry, but I will pee when I want to! They want you to yell hello at every customer that walks in, even if you are in the process of checking someone out. Believe me, customers hate it. They walk in the store, everyone yells hello at them at the same time, and the customer looks confused every single time. Its a horrible idea. The registers are SO unorganized and dirty, during Christmas it makes it difficult to even get your job done. 100 empty hangers are falling out from under the register at your feet, broken merchandise is just laid everywhere all around you, go backs are literally taking over the front of the store. Working at World Market has changed my view about even being a customer there. Also, the warehouse is a complete and total JOKE. There are accidents waiting to happen when boxes are literally stacked to the ceiling. You cant walk though without weaving your way around ridiculous amounts of product. World Market does not know how to stick to a simple inventory. Clear your aisles, people cant shop and move! Stop ordering so much crap. That is the reason there is broken stuff EVERYWHERE because the minute you bump into a shelf, things fall and break. If you are thinking about working here seasonally, please think again. I know its fun to shop in, but just keep it that way. Dont ruin this place for yourself like I did.

Discouraged

I worked at Cost Plus

Pros

Unique merchandise, pleasant co-workers, great discount. I loved customers that came in just to browse and end up amazed at the kinds of things we carried in store.

Cons

The management tends to play favorites. In other words if you're not on their "A" team...and by that I mean spend a majority of your time kissing a**. Then you tend to get left in the dirt. I really wanted to work my way up there. But I was constantly disappointed by management when the GM kept hiring in people she knew to be in higher positions instead of in house promoting.

Take the time to acknowledge how hard your employees work for you, rewards and praise for good work can keep up morale.

Mixed Review

Current Employee - Specialty in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Specialty in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Cost Plus

Pros

Diverse atmosphere. Upbeat. Customers love the store.

Cons

Low pay. Low hours. No benefits unless full time( no one is except GM). Does not reward for going above and beyond expectations.

Cost Plus Photos