Cost Plus

Cost Plus Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Cost Plus President, CEO, and Director Barry J. Feld

Barry J. Feld

Pros
  • The employee discount is decent but used to be better before it was bought out by Bed Bath & Beyond (in 41 reviews)

• Great products, truly a store with something for everyone (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • That's sketchy to me and bad customer service (in 17 reviews)

• They push the explorer program to a point of making employees miserable over their percentages (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun always busy.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Greenville, SC

ProsChanging merchandise, always busy. Customers are fun. Benefits are great for retail.

ConsThe stockroom is always packed. Dangerous with heavy furniture boxes say team lift but usually there is only one person to get order together. People climb up on unsteady boxes then try to lift down,. someone is or going to get hurt very badly. Big joe can not move around stockroom at all. And proper training is not done. .

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not announce visits and check out stockrooms. Trucks should come twice a week not once and load the back rooms to the fullest. Allow more help on floor if you only want 3 people in line, everyone in the store ends up being cashiers, so no customer service on the floor. No work life balance except for general manager who takes his time off while other manager works nights and all weekends.

Missing the ghost of World Market past.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsSense of family amongst peers.

ConsThere's so much emphasis now on Explorer signups that we've lost sight of what made World Market a great place to work and shop. Despite classification (i.e. part-time over) scheduling of number of hours is so inconsistent you're constantly struggling to pay bills and maintain even a low standard of living. Budget for scheduling employees is so limited the employees who are working are stretched to the max in their ability to cover so many customers simultaneously. There are almost always long lines at the registers because there are so few employees scheduled to work, even on high volume days. World Market is sacrificing customer service for under budget bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmphasis has shifted from positive customer interactions to non-stop pressuring customers into becoming Explorer members, much to the very visible annoyance of the customers. Be more consistent in scheduling. World Market has a very high percentage now of employees who are on public assistance because work schedule is so erratic, especially for employees classified at part-time over (which means you're supposed to be scheduled for 20-35 hours weekly but that isn't happening.) However for some reason non-management full time employees are always assigned the number of hours noted in the Employee Handbook, but that doesn't hold true for part-time over employees. Doesn't seem fair to be following the rules outlined in handbook for one classification but not the other one.

Great products, but need to show respect for associates

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI really like the products and the customers were great 99% of the time. I got offers from 2 different customers on 2 different occasions to help me clean up spills! Employee discount was nice too.

ConsThe pressure to sign people up for the member rewards program was a bit stifling. I didn't appreciate the percentages posted on the board constantly had a note like "27%! Not good enough!!" I was trying my best and 80% of the time hit the goal, but since the overall number wasn't high enough I felt undervalued by those comments.

Then, I got promoted to POS coordinator and would be starting on the coming Monday. The Friday before that, I got asked to do the POS coordinator duties as "training," but at the pay rate of an associate. That didn't sit well with me and I brought this up with a manager, who I previously thought had my back but subsequently turned a bit distant with me. I felt I was targeted for sticking up for myself and not putting up with disrespectful treatment. I quit shortly after. It was weeks until I got my last paycheck. HR is sketchy. Heard some gossip about coworkers behind their backs as well. Managers played favorites and didn't always treat employees equally, sometimes talking down to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some respect.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great group of people to work with.

Cashier (Former Employee) Santa Fe, NM

ProsLearn about new products. Help people find interesting and new products.

ConsWorking during the holidays can get hectic. However it can be fun.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat place.

Worked at Cost Plus two separate times for about 9 months both times.

Registrar (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsThe employees at the store I worked for were like a family. We took good care of each other and even spent time together outside of work. World Market has a very family oriented, even "mom and pop store" feel. The scheduling managers were very kind in granting time off when I needed. They were very understanding in taking family needs into consideration when setting the schedule. The management very much tried to create and foster staff unity using different group initiatives. Being in a customer service role, the company is fairly lax on return policies, which makes it easier for the employees to keep customer service happy.

ConsSome of the products are not very well made, which in turn makes customer service difficult when you actually agree with the customer that products don't last long. There tends to be high turnover which makes for cohesiveness in teams a little difficult. I was never made full time though I consistently worked 39 hours, however, I also never prompted trying to go full time to get benefits. You could move horizontally within the business however it basically required more work and responsibility for the same amount of pay. If you stayed long enough to become a manager, not just a supervisor, you would get paid more.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet updated registers. Get security cameras in the store and outside bathrooms to keep people from stealing. Stop making employees have to Bump Up the Basket. It creates the "car salesmen" atmosphere and people hate being chased down.

Want to get the hell out of dodge!!

Stock Associate (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsWorking side by side with my fellow employees that understand the clinch.
    Learning about fascinating products from throughout the world.

ConsThe hours are a joke in terms of entry-level positions.
    Manager and stock lead expect far too much, I'm basically the only stock member that has not quit due to the harassment of time restraints in relation to pallet progress.
    I make bare minimum wage and is expected to take on the most tedious of task.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop screwing over employees, people cannot survive off of 15 hours a week. I am not the only one, quite a few sales floor employees get barely 10 hours a week while management gets 40 for sitting in a chair all day.
    Either lessen the load of work or raise wages, how am I supposed to be motivated to work hard with this treatment, been here a year and no change so far.

Lack of HR Oversight- Discriminatory in Almost Every Sector

Hourly Associate (Current Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsFriendly coworkers, fun atmosphere, good benefits, generous leave policy, interesting merchandise, decent discount

Conspoor pay for experience, lack of HR oversight, policy ambiguity, top heavy, inconsistent direction, over-planning, poor stocking routines, lack of store-wide payroll, discriminatory hiring practices

Advice to Senior ManagementWorld Market would be more successful if it took some advice from retail standards. Pay should be higher for experienced associates. Supervisors, General Managers, and District Managers should be held more accountable. There should be clear direction about resets and less ambiguity in policy. Upper Management should consider meeting with hourly associates to generate ideas on how to improve the business. There should be less emphasis on Explorer sign-ups, and more emphasis on recognition for great customer service. Time and time again, good deeds have gone overlooked. There is a wide gap between store and the corporate office. Even in much larger retail units, I was able to have a much better understanding of the hierarchy. Weekend support would be great. BOPUIS is a program that was rolled out rather sloppily. HR Investigations rely almost complete on hearsay, and associates can write "statements" about anyone they don't like and they are taken at their word by HR. The company seems to reward poorly-educated, toxic individuals simply because they are worried about the trouble they can get into. I have consistently been told since I began I would be promoted, and a promotion has yet to be forthcoming despite my education and over a decade of experience.

This company is a joke!

General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDiscount is 20% off. Wide range of products from around the world, from gourmet items, wine and beer, furniture, entertaining, bath, lighting, candles, and toys for the kids. There's something for everyone. Great seasonal selection.

ConsThe company has seriously lost sight of the employees. They are poorly paid with extremely high expectations. My biggest complaint was with Human Resources, or lack of. Many concerns are consistently neglected, and there is too much "gray area" in the rules and expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more Human Resources managers that will actually be able to keep up with concerns in the stores. If it takes almost 2 weeks to get a verbal warning approved, there's a problem. Pay your Supervisors, Department Heads, and Associates more. You will more than likely get the results your looking for.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Your managers can make or break your experience.

POS Coordinator (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWork can sometimes be fun. The products carried are unique, affordable, and fun and customers are usually super friendly and happy to be shopping in your store. The 20% off employee discount is nice (and you can use it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond too). Coworkers can be fun to work with and get to know. Lots of goals and challenges and a fast-paced retail environment. If you work 20 hours a week or more ("part-time over") you accrue vacation time quickly and get paid federal holidays.

ConsFirstly, your management team can really make or break your experience. I've had great managers who really worked hard and cared about how the store ran. And I've had managers who sat in the office all day talking to their friends on the phone. I've also had unfair, passive-aggressive managers who grade associates too harshly and micromanage and don't trust their associates. The last situation is what finally pushed me over the edge when I was considering leaving. World Market has an "open-door" policy, but if you try to honestly voice your concerns about store operations the last type of manager will make sure you get in trouble (e.g. verbal coaching or it's written negatively in your annual performance review) for that.

Secondly, The company is starting to expect too much from associates. Management expects associates to have the same skill levels as management on selling without getting the extra pay that comes with a management position. They act like you are a commissioned sales person but you don't get commission! You have to do anything for the customer no matter how annoying or time-consuming. The company wants you to constantly BUG and ANNOY customers on the salesfloor and registers. I understand greeting at the front door (which is stupid sometimes because half the people don't hear or acknowledge you) but you must also greet on the floor, hand them a shopping basket, and continually hassle them about signing up for the rewards program. They don't do this at Bed, Bath, and Beyond! Sometimes people just want to shop in peace without having 5 employees bug them on the floor. Cashiering was stressful for me since you have to maintain a good percentage of reward program sign-ups, despite all the annoying associates on the floor trying to sign up customers with their handheld devices. It's become just a numbers game (versus actually engaging with customers) and sucked all the fun out of working here. I don't like the high-pressure, annoying, selling environment. You're expected to do all this selling while completing all your other job tasks and there just aren't enough hours in the day.

Thirdly, the company is unsafe. Recently I've seen measures to enact company safety procedures in stores but it's only recently happening. You are expected to load heavy furniture items for customers, sometimes without any help. Sometimes you have to climb up to the second story of warehouse shelves to grab an impossibly heavy box (and I mean CLIMB, as the warehouse is too crowded for the ladder to even get close). Heavy boxes are labelled as "team lifts" but good luck getting anyone to help you when it's busy.

Fourthly, the hours suck. Only the management team gets full-time hours (35+). The department heads, who should get between 30-35 hours sometimes only get 20 on slow weeks. The only time I was working more than 35 hours a week was during the holidays. I was usually scheduled for 27-30 hours a week, which just isn't enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that your associates making minimum wage should not work as hard or harder than managers who make much more. Enforce and defend the open-door policy. Grade employees fairly and accurately. Work hard as a manager and trust your associates. Make sure safety procedures are followed. Don't hire too many associates than you have hours for and make sure your department heads get decent hours.

Discrimination, Harassment, Low Moral, High Turnover

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tracy, CA

ProsThe worker bees are great people to work with and an OK discount on awesome products.

ConsThe Store Manager does not know what she is doing as the store manager. She discriminates, shows favoritism and has no clue how to treat people. She also does not know what confidentiality means. She creates drama by playing one employee against another. I loved working there but she made it unbearable and no wonder why the store has one of the highest turnovers!

Advice to Senior ManagementGET RID OF THE STORE MANAGER!!! This store would be so much more profitable and much higher return cliental. Employees would concentrate on work and servicing customers rather than fighting amongst themselves. Also, employees are so afraid to go to HR or upper management due to the "Wrath of..."Store Manager" " they face if they do report her wrong doings.

Worked for Cost Plus? Contribute to the Community!