Cost Plus Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014

Cost Plus President, CEO, and Director Barry J. Feld
Barry J. Feld

Pros
  • The employee discount is decent but used to be better before it was bought out by Bed Bath & Beyond (in 41 reviews)

• Great products, truly a store with something for everyone (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • That's sketchy to me and bad customer service (in 17 reviews)

• They push the explorer program to a point of making employees miserable over their percentages (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Too much to do,too little timeline

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Cost Plus full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fun people,good assortment of products

Cons

Unsafe work conditions, no payroll

Get better DMs

World Market used to be a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Cost Plus full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Unique products and gifts from around the world. Flexible schedule. Creative merchandising. Great customers. That's about all I have for pros.

Cons

World Market used to feel like a family. That has gone away. They don't care about their employees anymore. They do not promote from within. The last couple of years I have seen a lot of turnover of these store managers they are hiring from outside the company.

Go back to caring about the people who are the face of your company. Promote from within. Stop making supervisors train your newly hired store managers.

Horrible. Store manager knew nothing about the business.

I have been working at Cost Plus

Pros

Very flexible for a work/school schedule

Cons

Instead of promoting from within using the best candidate, the pull from outside, people who don't know anything about the company.

Utilize your strongest workers to receive promotions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Liars

Former Employee - I Dont Know, They Didnt Clarify  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - I Dont Know, They Didnt Clarify in Austin, TX

I worked at Cost Plus part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great store discounts
    Fun environment
    Great products
    Easy process for hiring

Too bad it didn't work out for me

Cons

Management was unprofessional
    They lied to me about my hours
    I told them over and over I needed full time hours or close to and they said to expect 39 hours weekly. On my first day I was told I would have 19 hours...

Sad working environment

I have been working at Cost Plus full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It's a steady paycheck.

Cons

The list is to long. No opportunity to advance unless you have friends in upper management. You are expected to be on call for questions even when you're on vacation, and that's just hourly employees. Store managers and district manager usually unreachable. You are frequently required to move heavy items single handed. Supervisors talk about employees behind their backs and generally cause conflict. Hard work is not recognized or rewarded. The pay is low, the work is grueling, and if you injure yourself the implication is it's your own fault.

I don't even know what could be done to correct the problems in this company.

Forget it Jake, it's Retail...

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Greenbrae, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greenbrae, CA

I worked at Cost Plus part-time for more than a year

Pros

There are generally fun folks to work with, I suppose the screening process tries to get outgoing people to be sales associates.

Cons

Where to start? The pay is low, the hours are unpredictable, and only set 4 days in advance of the coming week. There is a huge reliance on signing customers to the loyalty program, the store generally doesn't have enough people on duty for the customer load, the "warehouse" conditions are crowded and can be unsafe to work in. The job in the North Bay region is unionized, but there is little to no union presence, leading me to wonder why they are collecting dues! While the floor supervisors are mostly human, the store manager can be a real pill.

Don't force email ads for nearly every day of the week; it irritates the shoppers. Occasionally give raises above the absolute minimum you can get away with. Ensure that there is enough coverage to be able to obey safety rules like team lift without leaving the floor empty.

Good team, sloppy management

Former Employee - Furniture Department Head  in  El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Furniture Department Head in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Cost Plus part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Building friendships with coworkers in a fun and interesting environment.

Cons

Customer service guidelines make daily tasks difficult to complete, which is rarely acknowledged by management. Low payroll makes it hard to keep store running smoothly. Too much is expected from associates compared to their hourly wage. You get seriously overworked.

Increase payroll, what's the point of saving money on payroll when you're losing out on business but not providing proper customer service.

its like no other store

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time for more than a year

Pros

i fell in love with the store's wonderful products, welcoming environment, employee discout is nice aswell. there standard of customer care is lovely

Cons

no balance between work/life balance , lack of technologially push to sign up people for mailing list. contantly waiting on weekly schedule to be made. not easy to work you way up if you want a career in retail.

CPWM is a company devoted to development, customer satisfaction, and driving results.

Current Employee - Management Team Member
    Current Employee - Management Team Member

I have been working at Cost Plus full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My career at World Market has been wonderful! I have seen so many talented people on a track of development, which regularly results in promotions. If you are the right person, you will get the job!
    Every day is a new challenge - some more complicated than others, but rewarding nonetheless. There are so many things that cause "issues"- small footprint stores that have to fit large shops, for example; but we are encouraged to creatively problem-solve and are supported in our decisions. There are no "cookie cutter" stores or teams!
     We are regularly provided with feedback, both positive and negative, and are given the resources needed to improve.
    There is an open-door policy for both senior management and HR - reaching out is encouraged and expected! Both teams are consistent in recognition and holding people accountable, when necessary.

Cons

This statement is not really a "con" per se, but something to consider when deciding whether or not to work for CPWM:
    The team members are no strangers to hard work. We retrieve and load furniture every day - everyone had to help out! Everyone is involved in the daily maitenance of the store - we all recover the store, clean restrooms, sweep floors, etc. There is a lot to do every day and it can seem like there aren't enough hours in the day or people to do it; however, the hard worker, creative thinker, and the relentless problem solver can handle all of this.

The time has come to reconsider the payroll model. Invest in labor and reap the rewards!
    More staff = more engagement with customers and beautiful stores = mind-blowing sales!
    Let's try it!

Cool Company

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time for less than a year

Pros

coworkers, discount, customers are mostly friendly, great products

Cons

pressure to get sign ups

Worked for Cost Plus? Contribute to the Community!