Cost Plus

Updated January 25, 2015
2.9

Cost Plus President, CEO, and Director Barry J. Feld
Barry J. Feld

Pros
  • The employee discount is decent but used to be better before it was bought out by Bed Bath & Beyond (in 46 reviews)

• coworkers, discount, customers are mostly friendly, great products (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • World Market is sacrificing customer service for under budget bottom line (in 21 reviews)

• Their Explorer program does not need to be forced on every customer (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible company!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Cost Plus

Pros

-Above average pay
    -Helpful coworkers
    -Cool, interesting products

Cons

-Rat infested store
    -Young, immature supervisors
    -Rude/ mean General Manager
    -No training was provided, you are expected to figure things out on your own
    -Constant inappropriate comments made by supervisors/general manager
    -Threatened with loss of job if you don't get more Explorer member sign ups
    -Very disorganized/dangerous stock room
    -No work-life balance

Treat your employees with respect, maybe then more of them would stay around longer then a few months! Please hire some decent supervisors and a better GM!!

Wow. Reading these reviews are giving me PTSD.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cost Plus

Pros

I worked for the CPWM at the store level through my ten year college odyssey. I worked with the company when it was still family owned (and really great to work for), and quit around a year after they went public. The reason that I stayed for so long was purely because of my wages and benefits, which were because of my union status. I met some great people working here.

Cons

It's sad to see that not much has changed since I worked at CPWM 15+ years ago, except now it seems like the wages are even worse. I saw the company go from having a well trained, well paid staff that really cared about what they were doing, to a poorly trained constantly rotating staff that had no pride in their job or knowledge of the products. This made the few of us that stayed and had knowledge extremely heavily relied upon without proper compensation for the amount or responsibility that we were given, and what we were expected to get done.
    Honestly, I am surprised there have not been any major lawsuits that have made CPWM re-evaluate the short staffing so prevalent in their stores. There is so much liability with having so few people run such large stores. Safety issues on so many levels. Not to mention the short-sightedness of not being able to provide decent customer service and actually selling MORE merchandise, and being able to get the merchandise on the floor, etc. It doesn't make sense.
    One of most satisfying days of my life was the day that I quit. After I quit, I immediately signed up at a temp agency and (with no office experience) got a job almost immediately that paid me more (after 10 years), had M-F 8-5 hours, treated me well, and had upward mobility. I do not recommend that you work here, and if you do I recommend that you get out asap. It sounds just as bad as the day I left. Reading these reviews made me a bit sad that it's still such an awful place to work. I still have bad dreams about long lines and wrapping a glass million things during Christmas. I regret not leaving earlier than I did. Get out and go somewhere else where you will be better compensated and more appreciated.

Realize that you get what you pay for in terms of employees. You pay crap, you get crap.

fun work place

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Whittier, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Whittier, CA

I worked at Cost Plus

Pros

everyone was easy going and nice.

Cons

bad management, they would never respond to calls for cashier approval.

limbo

I have been working at Cost Plus

Pros

cool store environment, decent discount.

Cons

people have to be strong to stay in retail especially in urban areas, also fast employee turn over

promote from within

Looking for seasonal? Look again

Former Employee - Seasonal Staff in Mooresville, NC
    Former Employee - Seasonal Staff in Mooresville, NC

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (less than a year)

Pros

cool products, good first job for people new to retail, all the other employees will be just as confused as you are. employee discount is good, the start pay is good.

Cons

rude customers, rude management, management doesn't listen to your schedule avaibility, your not properly trained, they allow people under 21 to sell alcohol, they hire too many seasonal employees and only put you on the schedule for a day or two.

Reevaluate who you have in charge. They are not professional, they do not care about their employees, they do not care if they are properly trained.

Unorganized and dramatic

Current Employee - Supervisor of Operations
    Current Employee - Supervisor of Operations

I have been working at Cost Plus

Pros

Never bored, fast paced, all ways changing

Cons

Completely unorganized, worst training ive ever seen, way to much is expected out of employees who they dont train properly

If you took some time to train your employees as well as your management maybe you wpuld have such high turn over

Cost Plus World Market

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Olympia, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Olympia, WA

I have been working at Cost Plus

Pros

easy work, free coffee, donuts in the break room, 20% discount on everything excluding booze

Cons

confusing, constantly changing hours, changing responsibilities, not enough equipment for everyone, abusive customers, NO RECYCLING, throwing a way a ton of stuff

Get enough phones or RF scanners for everyone to have one.

Seasonal Disappointment

Former Employee - Seasonal Part-time in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Seasonal Part-time in Denver, CO

I worked at Cost Plus (less than a year)

Pros

Fun and interesting merchandise and foods, employee discount.

Cons

Long hours, not enough help at busy times, pushing Explorer program over getting stock on the floor, stock a mess in back room and on sales floor making it hard to find merchandise. If you are an organized person this store will drive you crazy. They shove getting Explorer sign ups down your throat. Make you feel like a child when you don't get enough sign ups. It's a bad system that needs redone. Through the holidays the store gets really messy which means if you are closing, that is your job to be done very fast, it's not pleasant.

Organize and clean your store, get merchandise out especially at Christmas time. Don't put sad faces by Explorer percentages, very immature.

Not worth it

Former Employee - Receiving Clerk in Windsor, VA
    Former Employee - Receiving Clerk in Windsor, VA

I worked at Cost Plus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most of the people I dealt with daily were awesome.

Cons

Management was overbearing, the new receiving dept manager knew nothing and ruined opps.

You already got rid of the person I'm referring to, so all I can say is don't make the same mistake twice.

An enjoyable retail job

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good crew of workers, good management, generally nice clientele. Plenty of different jobs one can do within the store, and always something to do to keep the time moving.

Cons

Depending on what kind of business is happening in a given day (say, a lot of furniture being sold/hauled out), can be pretty physically taxing, but again, it keeps the time moving.

Cost Plus Photos