Cost Plus

Updated December 7, 2014
2.9

Cost Plus President, CEO, and Director Barry J. Feld
Barry J. Feld

Pros
  • The employee discount is decent but used to be better before it was bought out by Bed Bath & Beyond (in 46 reviews)

• coworkers, discount, customers are mostly friendly, great products (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • World Market is sacrificing customer service for under budget bottom line (in 21 reviews)

• Their Explorer program does not need to be forced on every customer (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun atmosphere and fast paced.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work, friendly co workers, casual dress code, and you get to use your employee discount on wine.

Cons

The employee discount for furniture and decorating items is not good. The sale price to customers is cheaper than if you buy it with your employee discount.

I worked the Christmas season and the managers were really helpful to try and schedule shifts, so that we all had a chance to celebrate the holidays with our families.

Discriminate much?

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (less than an year)

Pros

working for the company was nice, discounts

Cons

the discriminating co-workers/management, hours provided

Great staff, good work environment.

I worked at Cost Plus

Pros

Really great work environment, supportive managerial staff, flexible schedule for those either in school or working another job.

Cons

Within the retail setting (not their corporate office), opportunities to advance/upward mobility is somewhat limited. When they infrequently occur or are requested, raises for hourly workers are pretty minimal.

Minimum Wage

Current Employee - Stock Associate in Westlake Village, CA
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in Westlake Village, CA

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job itself is easy, if you memorize the layout and products of the store. each box is no problem and you can put them out fast.
    Since the store is closed you can chat with your coworkers and play music as if you were just hanging out. just got to make sure you get your pallet done still.

Cons

2am or 4am shifts are hard to wake up to especially for minimum wage.
    I was asked to come back after i left do to need of stock associates. I asked them to match the pay of my other current job of just 9.50 since i would be working less there if i joined their team again and they refused my request.

Love my job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, flexible management, schedule my own flexibility/hours, better than minimum wage, somewhat fast-paced most of the time -- keeps me busy, 20% employee discount, variety of projects

Cons

lack of training from management, always wanting to buy products!!!

World Market = Lots of Responsibility

Former Employee - Part Time Supervisor in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Part Time Supervisor in Sparks, NV

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Holidays are super fun! I love all of the product. Great rewards program. Discount was decent and there was opportunity to try a lot of the food at tastings for free. Local beers and wine. We had a great family atmosphere at this store.

Cons

Lots of drama as to be expected from a retail environment but it was nothing too terrible. The worst part would definitely be the workload they expect out of a person who only works part time hours. I was in charge of two of the most profitable departments and was responsible for merchandising them by myself. They give you an intense amount of updates to be done on these departments called "guidelines" or "schematics" that are expected to be set by a specific date but it is nearly impossible to complete when you are only scheduled 20 hours a week. On top of that, you have to be on top of the floor and managerial tasks. I was also put in charge of the marketing board and assigning people to set promos as well as set them myself. By the end of the day you have accomplished little because it is so busy and there is so much on your plate. I heard from every one of the employees that the companies expectations are too high for how little room for extra scheduling they allow.

The management program is great when followed correctly. We had a great team at our store, ultimately.

Great wine price

I have been working at Cost Plus

Pros

Great wine selection, great marketing

Cons

Mgmnt should be leaders and motivators

Don't bother

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Thornton, CO

I have been working at Cost Plus

Pros

I like my coworkers. Discount is okay.

Cons

Where do I start? When I applied I stated that I only wanted 15-20 hours a week. I'm consistently scheduled for 30. I understand it's the holidays, but it would be nice to have been asked if I could pick up extra hours rather than just deciding to schedule me. The biggest issue is the World Market Explorer program. We're pretty much forcing it down every persons throat and if we stray from the script or don't get enough sign ups, we get "talked" to about it, which seems really childish and feels condescending. If it wasn't for the fact that a friend helped me get this job, I wouldn't stay my last 3 week's, I would quit today. So if you're uncomfortable with being pushy and made to feel like a naughty kid for minimum wage DON'T WORK HERE!

Stop pushing your free program so much. It's not like we work on commission.

WM is a seemingly great company when starting out, but not too long after things come to light.

Former Employee - Stock Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Cost Plus (less than an year)

Pros

Most co-workers were easygoing and lighthearted, I suppose this depends on location and manager. I would say management had hiring the right people down for the most part, although this could be a major con.

Cons

There was not room for personal growth, as the days and weeks became repetitive and every co-worker seemed to be going through same vicious cycles of no rewards or wiggle room outside of your current position.

Training was basic, nothing you couldn't figure out on your own if the challenge presented itself. With such a small staff for such a large store there was too much personal life talk going around for a work environment which made going to work dreadful.

The workload was extreme. Two or Three people to move a fully loaded truck full of furniture from 5am to 9am is not realistic. There were not enough employees capable of finishing what needed to be done without exhausting themselves. Often, employees that worked the floor or register were needed to help with other duties. Most times there was work that was leftover to be completed next day, and everything would be caught up only the day before everything would start all over again. Personal life talk+Extreme manual labor=dysfunction. There was no time to even think of where to begin to solve the issues, other than the dire need to hire more efficient staff.

My only advice is to take more notice of the reality of how a short staff affects current employees. Most employees were exhausted beyond belief, and had a lack of understanding that personal affairs need to stay at home. It is hard to tell someone to pick up the pace when they are going 150% already. If the store was having this issue on a consistent basis over a long period of months, even years, I would hope that it would be resolved in a more efficient and timely manner. It was not a pleasure working for Cost Plus World Market, as it impacted my health. Even employees with great health seemed to be suffering tremendously because of dysfunction.

Good for developing people skills, but not much overall opportunity for growth

Former Employee - Point of Sale Coordinator
    Former Employee - Point of Sale Coordinator

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees were great for the most part, and created a fun work environment. The company's products are unique and interesting.

Cons

The company is tight on labor and scheduling, which makes position-related responsibilities and projects difficult to manage. For instance, supervisors, stock leads, and department heads were often on the registers. District manager hired from outside the company for general manager positions, rather than promoting from within. Low morale due to lack of opportunity.

Cost Plus Photos