Cost Plus Reviews

Reset

In Desperate Need of Corporate Culture Overhaul & New Senior Leadership

Former Employee - Buyer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Buyer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Cost Plus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Merchants / Buyers can really own and drive their business.
    - Great product development opportunities
    - Loyal field team and field leadership

Cons

- The "cheapest" company I have ever worked for:
    - Zero Cap Ex spent on corporate employee training, leadership, etc.
    - Zero succession planning, advancement programs
    - Most unprofessional merchandising / buying leadership I've experienced in a twenty year career
    - Constant atmosphere of "crisis" with zero work / life balance among many departments
    - Very little loyalty or respect between merchants / buyers and their DMM's
    - Dated and cumbersome systems (think DOS / black screens....)
    - Shoestring HR team
    - Dirty and dated office environment and equipment. Literally had an infestation problem with exterminators in the building several times a month. Infestation including mice / rats in the main office building.

Advice to Management

Bed, Bath & Beyond, Inc. (parent company) should immediately hire outside firm to investigate management practices. Senior leadership across the board needs to be replaced with strong, stable, creative, leaders with a mandate to improve morale and strengthen corporate culture.

2. Average Summer Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ormond Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ormond Beach, FL

I worked at Cost Plus (Less than a year)

Pros

The store is very diverse and you learn something new each and everyday.

Cons

I was asked to do things that were more demanding then what other co-workers had to because we were short staffed.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed the management and the way everyone showed interest in each others life with true care.

3. there is something different everyday. always new product arriving.

I have been working at Cost Plus (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the unique products and the fact that they are sourced from around the world.

Cons

The company should invest in a more structured training program and then give the stores the actual resources to execute it.

5. World Market

I have been working at Cost Plus

Pros

Good employee discount and fun products.

Cons

Management is terrible, and chances for advancement if you're a female are almost nonexistent. I've been a good employee for 5 years, and have just now received a promotion. However, they have promoted numerous men after 2 months of working there.

Advice to Management

Give us more than 28 hours.

Like Christmas all the time

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Wichita, KS

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unpacking stock and seeing everything before everyone else.

Cons

Really poor communication, did not treat employees with respect

Advice to Management

Don't hire people if you don't think you can trust them

Sales Associate/Cashier

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great prices and selection on wine and beer. Very cool selection of foods from around the world including Germany, Japan, and Italy. They work really well with schedules, especially if you go to school.

Cons

Perhaps it was just the location I worked at, but the way the place was run could have been better. We would have schematics that corporate would expect us to set up exactly as it was planned out, but one of the supervisors would always say to set it up a different way because he/she would think their way was better. Really it caused us to do the job twice as the general manager or district manager would tell us to redo the set-up because it needed to be to schematic. Either that or the plan would call for products that were discontinued or the warehouse hadn't sent us yet. The company also wants you to almost scam people into signing up for the free rewards program. It isn't a bad program, but you are told as a cashier to just tell people to put their Explorer Number in the pin pad, and if they aren't signed up or they say they don't have one you are expected to almost force people into it because you get written up for not having a certain percentage of people signed up.

Not for the faint of heart

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn about merchandise from around the world. Management strives to drive the work schedule around personal life when possible.

Cons

Lazy workers are compensated the same wage as good workers. Very little, if any, training.

Advice to Management

Pay your good employees what they are worth, you would retain the good people!

In The Hands of the Wrong Leaders

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Visalia, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Visalia, CA

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Laid back, outgoing, and artistic environment.
    - Flexible, especially if you're in school or have a second job. Easy to take time off.
    - Unique and hard-to-find items, great stock. There's something new every week!

Cons

- Terrible head management. Lack of care for overall store team.
    - Part-time supervisors put in a tremendous amount more than GM & Store Manager.
    - Outdated, hard to use registers and equipment. Only four registers functioning during the holiday season? You bet! Malfunctions during Black Friday and Christmas week? Great! Customer Service help via intercom. Really?
    - Cashiers are only allowed to make transactions, price lookups, and open WM Explorer accounts. Period. Everything else needs approval of the GM, Store Manager, or Supervisor. Here comes frustrated customers and embarrassed employees!
    - ZERO training. Associates with little to no previous retail experience can easily struggle.
    - Extremely high employee turnovers!
    - Too many employees. Little to no hours.
    - Very inconsistent hours (even for retail).
    - Too much focus on Explorer Rewards Program. Using this as means of scheduling hours is unrealistic for employees.
    - Advancement is nonexistent unless you are a relative or buy a few beers for the GM.
    - Closed door policy. Need to schedule an appointment to speak with your manager?

Advice to Management

- Saying and doing are two very different things.
    - Favoritism is the unprofessional answer.
    - Lead by example.
    - Leave it at the door.
    - Open door policy. This truly connects you to your team.
    - TRAINING. Everyone has to start somewhere.
    - Practice what you preach.
    - What happened to a good work ethic?
    - Hire those who care 100%. Not because you need to fill positions for the holidays or to cut hours to fulfill the needs of a newly hired GM.
    - Appreciate and reward those who thrive. A happy worker will give back in return.

10. Great values and environment

Current Employee - Supervisor in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Cost Plus (More than a year)

Pros

Cost Plus World Market is a refreshing change for the retail world. The store carries unique products and encourages employees to spend time speaking with customers instead of just task, task, task.

Cons

One of the major downsides of working for Cost Plus World Market is that the amount of work to do is often more than what is manageable with the payroll and labor allowed. If the stores were given the labor dollars to complete all tasks, while allowing employees to really have time for consistent customer service, the stores would be much more successful and have better team morale.

Advice to Management

With clear communication and consistent standards, the stores can operate much more smoothly. Having stores in the same area that are inconsistent creates inconsistency for customers, which causes unnecessary customer service issues.

Stock/Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Cost Plus

Pros

You gain valuable customer service experience. It is a good job for persons looking for part-time work and students. Great job for persons who have little or no work experience, such as high school students or recent graduates. Cost Plus World Market seems to have a decent reputation in the retail industry also.

Cons

WAY too focused on enrolling shoppers in rewards program...to the point it's annoying to both employees and shoppers. I heard complaints often among frequent shoppers about being approached constantly about the rewards program, even though they were frequent shoppers anyways. Low pay with small and slow raises. Very short notice on scheduling, which makes planning for non-work related matters difficult. Also, scheduling was very, very infrequent. Store management knew everyone's availability and rather than workout some type of 'regular' schedule which gave everyone a general idea of when they would work each week, employees NEVER had any type of regularity on the days, shifts, or number of hours they would get each week. Very high turnover, which makes daily store operations difficult due to lack of experience among the majority of employees working on the sales floor.

Advice to Management

In several years at Cost Plus, the two most frequent complaints I heard among employees on the floor was pay and scheduling. Make your weekly schedule earlier and more predictable!! Having the ability to make plans for family, doctors, school, etc. earlier could go a long way in helping retain employees who are frustrated with retail scheduling in general. This was a primary reason for my departure from Cost Plus after several years. Pay more than minimum wage, and make your pay raises higher and more frequent. I gained employment with another retailer (which happens to be a direct competitor to Cost Plus) doing the same exact job as Cost Plus immediately after leaving Cost Plus. I was paid more starting there than I was at Cost Plus after several years of being there. I received no negative reviews during my time at Cost Plus, and often trained the frequently arriving new employees. In summary, schedule earlier and more regularly. Having an idea of when you can expect to work, how many hours you will work, etc. EARLIER. It helps tremendously!! Pay more and reward good work with higher and more frequent raises. Focus less on constantly approaching customers about the rewards program. It annoys them, and takes time away from providing more valuable information to customers about products, product location, etc. It frustrates employees and, most importantly, store visitors.

RSS Feed </> Embed