Cost Plus Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014

Cost Plus President, CEO, and Director Barry J. Feld
Barry J. Feld

Pros
  • The employee discount is decent but used to be better before it was bought out by Bed Bath & Beyond (in 41 reviews)

• Great products, truly a store with something for everyone (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • That's sketchy to me and bad customer service (in 17 reviews)

• They push the explorer program to a point of making employees miserable over their percentages (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

it was only a part time job

Former Employee - Stock Associate  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cost Plus part-time for less than a year

Pros

you can get days off whenever you need to.
    Stock associates get more hours than cashiers.

Cons

Tedious and strenuous work for minimum wage.
    Management expects too much despite being extremely understaffed.
    Urealistic expectations

graveyard shifts need to start earlier than 2 AM.
    make realistic expectations

Could have been so much better

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, MN

I worked at Cost Plus part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people and discount, decent dress code to work with

Cons

Management had no respect for students schedules

Overall a good company to work for

Current Employee - Supervisor of Operations
    Current Employee - Supervisor of Operations

I have been working at Cost Plus full-time

Pros

World Market has a starting pay above min wage and decent benefits. They tend to promote from within so there is always a chance to grow.

Cons

Budgeted labor makes it hard to not overwork some employees while still giving others decent hours. Very strict on sticking to PTO vs PT employees. Around peak seasons the stress level is high and there is extreme pressure to meet all deadlines while keeping to the company's standards for sales and customer service.

Be more realistic in your expectations. You can't always have great customer service and set up a new shop every other week.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The good and bad

Current Employee - Lead Supervisor
    Current Employee - Lead Supervisor

I have been working at Cost Plus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unique and dynamic product. Upper management and buyers legitimately want to know your thoughts, concerns, and opinions. Fun working environment. Generally great customer base. Great benefits.

Cons

Technologically behind. Stock rooms to small and unsafe for the amount of goods sold. Although there are open opportunities, it takes a disrespectful amount of time to move into said opportunities.

Build the bench and take risks on your internal candidates not external people who have no idea what a brand champion is.

Move on to your next choice

Former Employee - Department Head
    Former Employee - Department Head

I worked at Cost Plus part-time for more than a year

Pros

I was with cost plus for almost two years and at this point I hate to say it but I can't think of any Pros. I was originally hired as seasonal help and quickly promoted to department head. I was part of a great team that was constantly yelped for our excellent customer service. So I guess the quick promotion and the wonderful people I worked with were both positives.

Cons

However that all changed when a new General Manager came on the scene. (The third one in 18 months). She systematically eliminated/forced out the seasoned associates. (She wanted her own 'team'). One of my co-workers often said " this company is all stick and no carrot". No matter how hard working we were and how much the customers yelped us for our outstanding customer service, the new management was never satisfied. We were always being threatened with write ups for trivial matters. It goes without saying that the pay is minimal and the customers would often get better deals with their coupons than we, as employees, could get with our "employee discount". As a matter of policy we were often not allowed to use coupons or take advantage of markdowns that any normal customer could. It was as if our money was somehow not as good as the customers. Turn over is rampant and management doesn't seem to care. (I would guess that it is not a factor in their bonus). You would think that somewhere along the way they would realize that training is expensive and if they would treat their employees better that they would not have to always be short handed and always retraining. I am amazed at how much this company required/expected from minimum wage part time positions. (Unless you are management there are no full time positions. You are either part time under or part time over; their way of denying benefits and avoiding the requirements associated with full time positions).

From the outside it looks like a fun place to work but trust me, its not... its better to just be a customer. BTW cost plus is owned by Bed Bath and Beyond who gives out 20% coupons every time you turn around. As an employee we only get a 20% discount so how much do they appreciate their employees when any customer gets the same discount that you can get as an employee. Oh yes....and you can forget about that Christmas bonus. Mine was a $5 gift card to Starbucks from the district manager..... I don't even like Starbucks!

Bottom line is you will never be able to get everything done they expect because of the other duties outside of your regular job description they put on you, it will always be your fault and do not expect them to appreciate, respect or listen to you.... and corporate HR sticks by the store manager no matter how outrageous their actions.

Learn something from GAP who just announced they were raising all employees to a minimum wage of $15 per hour citing the cost of turnover and training. They get it.... you don't. Moreover listen and learn to respect your employees. Many in the group I was in were college educated and retired from professional backgrounds....they actually had something to contribute. You run this company using an out-dated business model that works for you in this down economy but once competition for good employees heats up, it will bite you in the behind and you will be stuck with the dregs that can't get a job anywhere else. Give your employees a discount that is better than you give the customer or let them combine coupons with their discount to show your appreciation and require that the schedule be done at least one if not two weeks in advance. We were lucky if the schedule starting Sunday was posted by Friday.... another example of disrespecting your employees time and commitment.

Unsafe backbreaking job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

20% discount on alcohol and merchandise.

Cons

Nothing at world market is easy. If you are assigned a task good luck finding the tools or supplies to do the job. Department heads do not have access to the office unless a supervisor is in there, even though they need access to their desk and computer. Every task takes longer than it needs to.

Stock room is not safe, and team lifts are not observed. You are expected to get on a 6 ft ladder to get chairs and merchandise off the perimeter with no safety rails. They would fail an OSHA inspection.

Cashiers are left alone at the register with them being the only employee on the sales floor.

Since you use and abuse good employes don't be surprised when they no longer want to help you cover a shift if someone calls out. When someone steps down from a position don't expect them to keep doing that job for less pay.

Great potential but poor execution.

Current Employee - Supervisor of Operations  in  Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Supervisor of Operations in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Cost Plus full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The products are great and entirely unique. They have the potential to be the best. Fast paced, customer focused environment.

Cons

Little to no growth potential. Some of the management staff are grossly unqualified. Mediocrity is widely accepted as success.

Good work-life balance.

Former Employee - Copywriter  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Oakland, CA

I worked at Cost Plus part-time for more than a year

Pros

Agree with other reviews that it's a good stepping stone job. Not great pay or benefits, but the relaxed attitude mostly makes up for it. People care about the work but are friendly and laid-back.

Cons

There's a lot of mis-communication. Small mistakes go unnoticed too long and then everyone is too friendly to solve the problem.

Excellent Company!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Spanish Fort, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Spanish Fort, AL

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hours are great for part time and they will work with you if you are a hard worker. There is always the opportunity for upward mobility if you are a dependable worker and give your best.

Cons

Pay is minimum wage. Employment based on number of new accounts you sign up.

Should invest in a higher pay to keep good employees longer.

Great supervisors, co-workers, and breadth of responsibilities.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Cost Plus part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ability to gain a wide set of skills that can serve you in any other position, from customer service, to visual merchandising, to basic accounting, to multi-tasking, and problem-solving. Supervisors are accessible, knowledgeable, and work hard.

Cons

General retail culture drawbacks, such as indulging entitled customers, constant monitoring of customers, compensation may not be sustainable

Worked for Cost Plus? Contribute to the Community!