Cost Plus

Updated December 7, 2014
2.9

Cost Plus President, CEO, and Director Barry J. Feld
Barry J. Feld

Pros
  • The employee discount is decent but used to be better before it was bought out by Bed Bath & Beyond (in 46 reviews)

• coworkers, discount, customers are mostly friendly, great products (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • World Market is sacrificing customer service for under budget bottom line (in 21 reviews)

• Their Explorer program does not need to be forced on every customer (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Liars

Former Employee - I Dont Know, They Didnt Clarify in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - I Dont Know, They Didnt Clarify in Austin, TX

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great store discounts
    Fun environment
    Great products
    Easy process for hiring

Too bad it didn't work out for me

Cons

Management was unprofessional
    They lied to me about my hours
    I told them over and over I needed full time hours or close to and they said to expect 39 hours weekly. On my first day I was told I would have 19 hours...

Great Summer or PT Job for HS or College Students

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits Package for PTO and FT employees
    Energetic Environment
    Fun products
    Paid vacations, holidays and sick time
    Flexible schedules considering it's a retail environment

Cons

Never enough staff to effectively cover the floor
    Unable to preform job duties due to poor staffing
    Stock rooms are overcrowded and unsafe. Never enough people to help with team lifts etc.

Wonderful and Exciting place to work

Current Employee - Cashier in Oro Valley, AZ
    Current Employee - Cashier in Oro Valley, AZ

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working here is that they are willing to work with your schedule. They are very hands on with training and I've always been able to ask for advice when I need it. I also really like the people I work with everyone's friendly and those more experienced have always been willing to help out those with less experience or answer question in their area of expertise. I also enjoy the updated explorer program and best of all it's still free!

Cons

I think the biggest challenge would be the number of hours. Unless you are a manager or department head you probably will work a max of 20 hours a week.(holidays excepted)
    The only other thing one might consider a con is the long hours during holiday season. We can get overwhelmingly busy during that time and while it is great for the company it can be shocking if you're not used to it.

Keep up the great work!

Fabulous store... but no team mentality.

Former Employee - Gourmet Department Head in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Gourmet Department Head in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Cost Plus (less than an year)

Pros

- I absolutely loved the atmosphere of the store. The customers, while often demanding, were interesting and good-spirited.
    - Mostly given full time hours and time off when requested.
    - Supervisors and sales associates were great.

Cons

- The gourmet department was a MESS when I started. The stock team wasn't rotating product, so I had to throw away thousands of dollars of product. There was nothing I could do to get the stock team to adhere to the company's high standards when my manager wouldn't back me up. They refused to rotate product and I would get in trouble for having expired products on the shelves.
    - I often had to neglect my department while I was cashiering for most of my shift.
    - Witnessed a lot of bullying by the store manager and HR only exacerbated the problem.
    - Fear was common when the district manager was in town.
    - The pay is pretty low for a management position that requires you to often work full time and always-changing, awkward hours.

The store needs to run like a team. Nobody works for commission, so it's ridiculous to NOT have a team mentality. Managers need to stop picking favorites and enabling those employees to have a sub-par work ethic.

Also, if the stock team is mismanaged, the whole store is going to suffer.

CPWM is a company devoted to development, customer satisfaction, and driving results.

Current Employee - Management Team Member
    Current Employee - Management Team Member

I have been working at Cost Plus full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My career at World Market has been wonderful! I have seen so many talented people on a track of development, which regularly results in promotions. If you are the right person, you will get the job!
    Every day is a new challenge - some more complicated than others, but rewarding nonetheless. There are so many things that cause "issues"- small footprint stores that have to fit large shops, for example; but we are encouraged to creatively problem-solve and are supported in our decisions. There are no "cookie cutter" stores or teams!
     We are regularly provided with feedback, both positive and negative, and are given the resources needed to improve.
    There is an open-door policy for both senior management and HR - reaching out is encouraged and expected! Both teams are consistent in recognition and holding people accountable, when necessary.

Cons

This statement is not really a "con" per se, but something to consider when deciding whether or not to work for CPWM:
    The team members are no strangers to hard work. We retrieve and load furniture every day - everyone had to help out! Everyone is involved in the daily maitenance of the store - we all recover the store, clean restrooms, sweep floors, etc. There is a lot to do every day and it can seem like there aren't enough hours in the day or people to do it; however, the hard worker, creative thinker, and the relentless problem solver can handle all of this.

The time has come to reconsider the payroll model. Invest in labor and reap the rewards!
    More staff = more engagement with customers and beautiful stores = mind-blowing sales!
    Let's try it!

Good people, good company (but could be a lot better)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Cost Plus full-time

Pros

The employees really do drive the execution of this company with the vision and direction of exec staff. Never a dull moment, and the higher ups are always looking to improve, grow, and stay competitive.

Cons

Depending on which department you start working in, training is hit-or-miss. Communication/processes within/between departments could use improvement. Benefits are OK, perks are minimal and employee appreciation is rarely shown.

Good team, sloppy management

Former Employee - Furniture Department Head in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Furniture Department Head in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Cost Plus part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Building friendships with coworkers in a fun and interesting environment.

Cons

Customer service guidelines make daily tasks difficult to complete, which is rarely acknowledged by management. Low payroll makes it hard to keep store running smoothly. Too much is expected from associates compared to their hourly wage. You get seriously overworked.

Increase payroll, what's the point of saving money on payroll when you're losing out on business but not providing proper customer service.

its like no other store

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (more than an year)

Pros

i fell in love with the store's wonderful products, welcoming environment, employee discout is nice aswell. there standard of customer care is lovely

Cons

no balance between work/life balance , lack of technologially push to sign up people for mailing list. contantly waiting on weekly schedule to be made. not easy to work you way up if you want a career in retail.

Cool Company

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (less than an year)

Pros

coworkers, discount, customers are mostly friendly, great products

Cons

pressure to get sign ups

The most unsafe, unprofessional company I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Missoula, MT

I worked at Cost Plus

Pros

employee discount, interesting products to try

Cons

Stockroom is unsafe, sometimes the fire exits are blocked. Good luck wrestling heavy boxes from upper shelves alone while standing on an unsecured ladder.

The management team lies, spreads rumors, and sets up signage for sales that is essentially a bait and switch scam. I've seen employee schedules changed to cause a no show so they could fire someone, hours reduced because someone won't go out drinking with the GM, hours reduced because the GM thought someone didn't like her, and hours reduced because someone wouldn't go to lunch with the GM. People can't live off of 10-15 hours a week, and they definitely can't afford to socialize with the manager.

Each supervisor has his or her own set of rules , so there are literally 4 ways to do things depending on who is running the shift.

replace the management team with people who have a degree in business

Cost Plus Photos