Costco Wholesale

3.8 1,130 reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek

Craig Jelinek

1,130 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful"
    in 102 reviews
  • "There are great benefits available for part-time and full-time employees"
    in 154 reviews
Cons:
  • "Limited opportunities to advance within the company if not a full-time employee"
    in 56 reviews
  • "Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time"
    in 45 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

Proswork-life balance, leadership, great for seasonal work

Consaccountability, difficult to request time off

Great environment, friendly people and organized staff

Major Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Mettawa, IL

ProsPay, benefits and work environement

ConsHire management from within company

Advice to Senior Managementno

Love my job

Analyst II (Current Employee)
    Issaquah, WA

ProsFlexible hours, it great to work with the management, willing to work with to help improve your skills. Would love to retired here.

ConsNot whole lot a parking bit working on a new parking garage.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depends on the managers

Administration (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pay, benefits are pretty good. Co workers are wonderful. If you are one of the "chosen ones" you can really learn a lot.

ConsFavoritism and nepotism run rampant. If you are not one of the favorites, your chances of succeeding dwindle pretty quickly. Open positions are usually filled before the posting even goes up. The most qualified individual doesn't always get the job especially in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSarcasm and humiliation are not ways to get workers to do a better job. Some managers are allowed to bully their way through the day and even though it is common knowledge, heads turn the other way. Retaliation is prevalent but difficult to prove. The two on one approach when an employee is in trouble is intimidating and demeaning. The employee should have their liaison present as well.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

some Costcos run ran better then others

Everywhere (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsLoved having hoildays off and paid. Loved sunday pay and the great benefits you have as a part time employee

ConsI loved working for Costco my first _ years once management changed moral started lowering and the good employees started to quit or get fired to be replaced with "cheaper paid" people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect and listen.

cashier/major sales

Cashier/Sales (Former Employee)
    Spokane, WA

ProsPays great wages @ very helpful if I want to move to another department @ are very supportive/ and also trains you for the job.

ConsCostco respects @ values all of there employees over the stock holders. HE treats all of his employees very well. Most companys owners have no interest in them @ Costco knows if you pay well your employees have a lot of respect for the company and feels important.

Advice to Senior Managementvery helpful on my career choice.

Frustrating

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

Prosbenefits and personal time given is fair

ConsGood old boy network not in a a male/female sense , but just in it is all about who you know ! Also Unum who handles their Personal Medical Leave claims is corrupt and is ripping Costco employees off who pay into STD and UNUM trys to stonewall and deny benefits as does Eberle Vivian the L & I self- insurer for Costco worker comp claims. Eberle Vivian uses threats and strong arm tactics with Doctors to force unjured employees back to work for Costco.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so arrogant and in cahoots with Hr

I'm a Costco lifer.

Issaquah, WA

ProsFree Costco membership, fitness center at the home office and reasonably priced meals at the cafeteria. At the home office, you're lucky if you got hired in a department with good managers and team members.

ConsThere are some departments that will work you to death especially if your manager is the reactive type. There are more bosses than leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the employees the chance to evaluate their leaders anonymously and use the feedback as the tool for promotion or more training.

Not the Wonderful Place they Paint it to Be.

Stocker (Current Employee)
    Foster City, CA

ProsBenefits if you can pass Probation Period.

ConsYour co-workers treat you like crap and could care less about helping you learn. You're just another FNG. A lot of backstabbing and fake personalities. Managers wait till almost opening to really do work, they usually stand around gossiping about employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Costco IT is a mess

ProsI think the company does very well in its core are of retail and treats people well.

ConsThe IT department is filled with incompetency and it starts with management that does not take the cues of how the business operates, focusing on efficiencies, but rather hemorrages money, is poorly organized without even a basic understanding of operations, and has a ton of deadbeat employees who are just waiting around until retirement.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet serious about your IT space, governance, and give IT a position at the table along with revenue-producers. They don't make you any money, but they sure do waste a lot!

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Costco Wholesale reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Costco Wholesale CEO Craig Jelinek. All 1,130 reviews posted anonymously by Costco Wholesale employees.