Costco Wholesale

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.8 1,160 reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek

Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful(in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits available for part-time and full-time employees(in 168 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits(in 57 reviews)

• Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time(in 46 reviews)

1,160 Employee Reviews

Great company to work for.

Cashier (Former Employee) Laguna Niguel, CA

ProsGood benefits, Good perks, nice people and management. Customer Service is key to their success.

ConsLow salaries, gets a bit tedious at times standing for entire shift.

Stocker

Stocker (Current Employee) Hayward, CA

ProsGreat pay and benefits sick pay vacation even for part timers

ConsMicromanagement
    Not flexible always extending part time workers

If you don't mind being a mindless robot, this is a GREAT place to work

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) (Former Employee) Livonia, MI

ProsGood starting pay
    401k
    Structured job and pay advancement
    Flexible hours
    Can move somewhat easily from one job to another within the company

ConsManagers don't care about anything besides covering their own jobs
    You will be treated like a cog in a wheel
    Advancement to management requires non-stop brown-nosing
    A bad warehouse manager can make life unbearable for all the warehouse employees
    All employees start as Part-time and working full-time (40 hours) is only allowed after you become full-time, which can take months or even a year to achieve

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying so much about covering your own rears and show some courage

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company for pay and benefits

ProsCostco offers good opportunities for advancement for those choosing to move up in the company. Excellent benefits including medical and health insurance.

ConsCommunication flow between management to their respective supervisors and departmental employees need improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement regularly scheduled briefings between management, supervisors, and departmental employees to inform of applicable and noteworthy information.

I have been working at Costco for the past 4 years. I started as a simple food service assistant and become a supervisor

ProsNice place to work for in terms of benefits and compensations. Good advancement oppotunities.

ConsSchedules are not fixed and you are required to work week ends.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions are based on performance.

Wonderful learning experience, with a good look at how a wholesale company is being operated

Front End Assistant (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsIncredible pay, phenomenal benefits, possibility to advance from within the company.

ConsVery little guidance from management, very little training for managers regarding their department and position, scaling expectations with fewer and fewer resources to complete tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvance employees who deserve and are qualified for the position, not by tenure. Invest in proper training for management and supervisors to enable proper leadership capability.

some Costcos run ran better then others

Everywhere (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsLoved having hoildays off and paid. Loved sunday pay and the great benefits you have as a part time employee

ConsI loved working for Costco my first _ years once management changed moral started lowering and the good employees started to quit or get fired to be replaced with "cheaper paid" people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect and listen.

Frustrating

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosbenefits and personal time given is fair

ConsGood old boy network not in a a male/female sense , but just in it is all about who you know ! Also Unum who handles their Personal Medical Leave claims is corrupt and is ripping Costco employees off who pay into STD and UNUM trys to stonewall and deny benefits as does Eberle Vivian the L & I self- insurer for Costco worker comp claims. Eberle Vivian uses threats and strong arm tactics with Doctors to force unjured employees back to work for Costco.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so arrogant and in cahoots with Hr

Not the Wonderful Place they Paint it to Be.

Stocker (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsBenefits if you can pass Probation Period.

ConsYour co-workers treat you like crap and could care less about helping you learn. You're just another FNG. A lot of backstabbing and fake personalities. Managers wait till almost opening to really do work, they usually stand around gossiping about employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Amazing

ProsCustomer Service is the best thing I love doing at this company.

ConsMoving things around all the time.

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!