Costco Wholesale

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.8 1,149 reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek

Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful(in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits available for part-time and full-time employees(in 164 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits(in 57 reviews)

• Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time(in 46 reviews)

1,149 Employee Reviews

It was a fun relaxing position.

Front End Assistant (Former Employee) Hackensack, NJ

ProsFun co-workers. Reasonable hours. Nice work environment

ConsThey sometimes play favorites. Abuse of power

love the company. good pay. good benefits.

Forklift Driver (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosgood pay for the market. good benifits, good morale. fun place to work for. alot of company activities that go on.

Conshonestly, there isnt much that costco is doing wrong. there awesome and treat there employees very well

Excellent career with Costco

Front End Manager (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits and wages. Generally speaking, it is a great atmosphere to work in. In Costco's mission statement it states they "take care of the employees" which indeed they do.

ConsCan be very stressful at times (Christmas season)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bakery Dept. Sucks.

Bakerry Wrapper (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsStarts at $11 an hr. Most employees outside of the bakery dept. are nice.

ConsI wouldn't advise working in the bakery if you don't act like a machine. Worked there as a seasonal hire and the folks were drama queens and stuck-up. The guys were cool but most of the ladies took their jobs way too seriously. If you work at Costco, don't work in the bakery dept.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat newbies better and understand that the new hires wont be as quick and efficient as the employees who've been there for yrs.

Takes care of their contractors

Art Production (Former Employee) Issaquah, WA

ProsFriendly environment, access to cafeteria & gym, parking pass, solid hours, provided work stations

ConsUsually only hires from within, waits until the last minute to tell contractors whether they've been extended or not

Advice to Senior ManagementFor someone who temps through an agency, it's nice to let them know in advance about the end date of a contract so another can be lined up and ready.

An absolutely amazing place to work with great career opportunities.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Issaquah, WA

ProsJob security is a definite plus. Where some companies laid off their employees during the recession, Costco did lay off one. The benefits are also great (health care, 401k, AMEX, compensation, work/life). The ability and opportunity to move up in the company is what I love the most. Costco allows you to create a career path and will help you achieve your goals through training and mentorship. Hiring up from within is one of Costco definite perks.

ConsPay at the Warehouse locations is well above average in retail. Pay at the corporate office (compared to other equivalent jobs) is fair, but only average for the new generation of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the office, the younger workforce cares less about benefits and tends to value $$$ more. Although this view is immature and will hurt in the long run, Costco should consider broadening their incentive/pay package to attract more qualified employees.

Hard work pays off eventually.....the gm in a store makes all the difference

Anonymous (Current Employee) Greenville, SC

ProsPay is great, benefits, etc....the company itself is a great company and is run well from the top. The pay and benefits are so good because they want you to look at Costco as a career and just not a job

ConsIts starts at the gm level in the stores....if u have a good gm, the store runs well with happy employees if not the moral is terrible, the mgrs are allowed to treat you like crap, and everyone is generally unhappy. We have had both types and I'm glad to say that i love the gm we have now

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be the solution and not the problem.....drop the huge egos, you are only a mgr in retail not the ceo of a huge corporation

Great Experience!!! :)

ProsGreat wages, benefits... and working for a great company that really truly cares about there members and employees...

ConsThey have little issues... but what job don't.. but Costco is working on it.. to make it a better place to work.. and to work for in a very positive way...

Advice to Senior ManagementI think management is doing a great job.. and thank you from the bottom of my heart for caring about the members and employees... and I try to work very hard to make our members very proud and welcome for shopping at Costco.. and give it my all for the best member service... :)

Costco take care of employees

Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsOverall, Costco is an excellent company to work for. The offer great pay and benefits and there promotional opportunities come often. The hours can conflict with life depending on your position. Management can be cut-throat but then again Costco demands the best.

ConsThe biggest con is having to work weekends and not being able to take time off during the holidays. Other cons include business hours and even finding parking. The culture varies among department. Front end has a very diverse culture while the morning crew is a testosterone driven macho show.

Advice to Senior ManagementMangers do a pretty good job operating the building. They are all very smart individuals who take pride in their work and do their best to keep managers happy.

Supervisor

Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat benefits, Pay is based on hours worked.

ConsLittle room to move up. Average assistant manager has held that position for 17 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to weed out complacent managers

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!