Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.9
1,610 Reviews
Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 135 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 68 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 56 reviews)

Real Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very affordable high quality health insurance benefits even for PT employees. Great for working parents who split up child care and need coverage. The key to succeeding at Costco is to work hard, have a good attitude and be nice to people. It's hard work and fasted paced, you have to be down for that to succeed.

Cons

At this warehouse you are required to work 5 days per week, even if you are PT at 24 or so hours. This means lots of 4-5 hour shifts rather than fewer 8 hour shifts which is tough for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Allow the PT staff at 24/hours per week or so to work 4/6 hour shifts or 3/8 hour shifts rather than 4 and 5 hour shifts. it gets expensive for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Response from Long Term Employee

Current Employee - Membership in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Membership in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's funny to read "Con" company critiques & reviews from employees who have only been employed for a limited period of time.....the key to success with Costco is to "work with purpose", keep the chatter down, don't complain and be thankful for the benefits and pay structure. As the company continues to expand and "crush" the competition (with stock soaring along with profits and revenue), there is significant need for employees with a very positive outlook, gratefulness, compassion for fellow employees and members and an incredibly strong work ethic. Many of these traits have waned over the years with younger employees and those who are new to Costco simply have not experienced "expectations" in the workplace which is why so many "seasonals" find themselves not being called back after January layoffs or re-assigned to the Member Service as a last resort to prove their worth to the organization. With over 20,000 applicants per new warehouse for less than 200 positions, there a many folks who would value a full suite of benefits, reasonable pay, not a real mentally challenging work environment and a pretty good crew to work with. Just start working after you clock-in, and continue at a good pace throughout your shift and keep your idle chatter to yourself.....breaks are mandatory and no one should go without the two 15 minute rest periods, period....call corporate if policies are not being followed.

Cons

Significant growth is a challenge in any organization and many at Costco are on a fast track to the "Peter Principle" however, the alternative of bringing in supervisory/management talent from the "outside" would derail the entire culture plus, there's always a "reason" why someone is out looking for work and most of the time, they were no longer wanted by their previous employer.....very few "outside" hires directly into supervisory or management roles at Costco every work out for a variety of reasons.

Supervisory and management professional development. Eliminate perceived and real "favoritism" at all costs, tie employee development to management bonuses, practices will improve "overnight". Be more like many Fortune 500 companies (Amazon, Pepsi, etc.) and bring management rotation down through the ranks by moving promising candidates around the country, this will will serve to remove the "silos" which have been allowed to develop at the regional level. Seasoned Members who have shopped at multiple locations around the country consistently comment on how different Costco's and employee moral is depending on geographic location.

Excellent Company to Work For

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great salary and benefits. Promote from within. Treat employees well. Great team atmosphere. It is a fun environment to work in without a lot of turnover.

Cons

Working on weekends is required. Heavy lifting is common in any area of the business. Sometimes you have to deal with customers that do not understand the "Costco way" of doing business.

Keep up the good work!

5. Great college job!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Treat employees well ans have amaxing benefits

Cons

Hours and weekends. I dont want to be working weekends my whole life and depending on your department and seniority you could be working until 10:30 pm or opening at 4 am.

Fantastic company for those who really want to work. Don't waste your time applying if you are lazy or unmotivated.

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Better hours than many other retailers, major holidays off. Great pay and benefits. Opportunity for advancement if you are a hard worker.

Cons

It's retail. Very hectic almost all the time, even when it's slow due to cutting hours to save payroll. Difficult to get into company in anything above base part time hourly employee, even with experience.

Get rid of people who slip through the cracks that are slow and lack dedication.

7. Costco Deli Department Review

Former Employee - Service Deli Assistant in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Service Deli Assistant in Nashua, NH

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Department managers are great
    Pay raises are based on hours worked.
    Great benefits and overtime hours were available.
    Open door policy to voice concerns.
    Good co-workers who were there to actually do their job.
    Very supportive of employees.

Cons

Weekends were crazy but that is part of the job.
    Upper management can be overbearing.

8. I have had a pleasant experience working for Costco.

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Promotions, salary, dressing casually, employees are all friends.

Cons

Management expects you to work over full time and for up to 14 days in a row (that happened to me only once). And you can't ever ask for a weekend off.

I think it is important to treat every employee with respect. I believe the company as a whole does this, but management in the individual stores does not. I have worked at Costco for 3 summers and every summer I work until 10 PM, over full time, no days off, and NEVER a Saturday off - even when requested. I don't get any time with my family.

9. Good company.

Former Employee - Supervisor in San Dimas, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in San Dimas, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Pay, people, location full time

Cons

Schedule, late nights, physical labor, understaffed at times

Better communication

Great place to work. Great benefits

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant)
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant)

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Great pay. Benefits. Co workers are awesome

Cons

Hours are diffcult. Management can be difficult at times

11. Costco is a good company that takes care of it's employees.

Current Employee - Sales in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Perks are that you can eat samples and the people are great. The People make the experience most Costco employee are generous and friendly.

Cons

The job can get redundant quick depending on waht you are working on.

I wished the General Manager would make an effort in his busy schedule to talk to all the employees more often. Or pop up during closing and casually speak with the employees.