Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.9
1,671 Reviews
Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 135 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 68 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 56 reviews)

Real Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very affordable high quality health insurance benefits even for PT employees. Great for working parents who split up child care and need coverage. The key to succeeding at Costco is to work hard, have a good attitude and be nice to people. It's hard work and fasted paced, you have to be down for that to succeed.

Cons

At this warehouse you are required to work 5 days per week, even if you are PT at 24 or so hours. This means lots of 4-5 hour shifts rather than fewer 8 hour shifts which is tough for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Advice to Management

Allow the PT staff at 24/hours per week or so to work 4/6 hour shifts or 3/8 hour shifts rather than 4 and 5 hour shifts. it gets expensive for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Response from Long Term Employee

Current Employee - Membership in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Membership in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's funny to read "Con" company critiques & reviews from employees who have only been employed for a limited period of time.....the key to success with Costco is to "work with purpose", keep the chatter down, don't complain and be thankful for the benefits and pay structure. As the company continues to expand and "crush" the competition (with stock soaring along with profits and revenue), there is significant need for employees with a very positive outlook, gratefulness, compassion for fellow employees and members and an incredibly strong work ethic. Many of these traits have waned over the years with younger employees and those who are new to Costco simply have not experienced "expectations" in the workplace which is why so many "seasonals" find themselves not being called back after January layoffs or re-assigned to the Member Service as a last resort to prove their worth to the organization. With over 20,000 applicants per new warehouse for less than 200 positions, there a many folks who would value a full suite of benefits, reasonable pay, not a real mentally challenging work environment and a pretty good crew to work with. Just start working after you clock-in, and continue at a good pace throughout your shift and keep your idle chatter to yourself.....breaks are mandatory and no one should go without the two 15 minute rest periods, period....call corporate if policies are not being followed.

Cons

Significant growth is a challenge in any organization and many at Costco are on a fast track to the "Peter Principle" however, the alternative of bringing in supervisory/management talent from the "outside" would derail the entire culture plus, there's always a "reason" why someone is out looking for work and most of the time, they were no longer wanted by their previous employer.....very few "outside" hires directly into supervisory or management roles at Costco every work out for a variety of reasons.

Advice to Management

Supervisory and management professional development. Eliminate perceived and real "favoritism" at all costs, tie employee development to management bonuses, practices will improve "overnight". Be more like many Fortune 500 companies (Amazon, Pepsi, etc.) and bring management rotation down through the ranks by moving promising candidates around the country, this will will serve to remove the "silos" which have been allowed to develop at the regional level. Seasoned Members who have shopped at multiple locations around the country consistently comment on how different Costco's and employee moral is depending on geographic location.

Cashier assistant

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time

Pros

Great benefits, Easy atmosphere, Chance for promotions, good vacation time, and great comparable salary.

Cons

Back may hurt after a while unless careful, Its retail... People can suck. Hustle gets taken advantage of if your not careful, and doesn't really get you promoted any faster. You have to do your time. At least 3 years to be taken seriously.

Advice to Management

Costco doesn't really seem to have any action plan for advancement. What I mean by that is there is no real communication with employees about if you do this you can become this within a said time. I think they would benefit from something like this. And if they have it, make it more knowledgable. I think employees would take they're job a little more seriously if this were more visible within the warehouse.

5. seasonal - front end assistent

Former Employee - Front End Assistant in Gilroy, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant in Gilroy, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay fast paced good benefits if they keep you for 6 months. I started out at 12.50 which was $3 above my local minimum wage. I enjoyed going to work.

Cons

had to push carts in the rain.

Advice to Management

get a carty pushing machine

6. Great pay and benefit but generalized goals

Current Employee - Membership Associate
    Current Employee - Membership Associate

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is much better than other retail jobs and there is a very good selection of benefits. If you start young there is a lot of potential for advancement.

Cons

Goals given for memberships are generalized for the company and do not take into account the demographics of an area.

7. Inventory Control Specialist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Costco Wholesale (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay for hourly employees plus bonus.

Cons

Treating office employees the same as in the warehouse i.e punching into a time clock.

Advice to Management

Train managers to be more diverse

8. Amazing

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time

Pros

Pay, Fair hours, Vacation, Employee trust

Cons

Uneducated Workers, Hard to move up, Dealing with customers

9. Great company

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Great enviorment and great people around.

Cons

The hours could be longer so people who commute won't waste so much money on gas

Great Part Time Job

Current Employee - Major Sales in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Major Sales in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Sundays pay time and a half
    - Great benefits for part time workers
    - Paid 15 min breaks every two hours
    - Great pay for those who stick with the company
    - Good transfer opportunities

Cons

- No accelerated program for 4 year graduates
    - Takes 5-6 years to get to a good livable wage (20+/hr)
    - Most positions pay the same, regardless of difficulty
    - Micromanagement to the tenth degree
    - Out of touch management

11. Optician

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Costco offers its employees top benefit packages. They match your 401k, give you paid vacation and sick days, and is the only company where you can be a janitor earning $23.00 and hour with 2 yearly bonuses!

Cons

I believe in the past the company made it easy for those with good work ethics and determination to climb the corporate ladder. My last two years in a Chicago warehouse proved differently. I work my first three years in a Florida warehouse with good morale, but the Chicago locations are horrible. I have several friends, in several Chicago locations, get looked over for positions they deserve because the manager gave it to a buddy or someone they had a crush on. After two years working in Chicago I had to quit.

Advice to Management

I hope that one day corporate does a spring cleaning with their Chicago locations. Ive witnessed a lot of broken spirits and discouragement from hard working people due to favoritism.