Costco Wholesale

3.9
1,466 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 135 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 68 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Real Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very affordable high quality health insurance benefits even for PT employees. Great for working parents who split up child care and need coverage. The key to succeeding at Costco is to work hard, have a good attitude and be nice to people. It's hard work and fasted paced, you have to be down for that to succeed.

Cons

At this warehouse you are required to work 5 days per week, even if you are PT at 24 or so hours. This means lots of 4-5 hour shifts rather than fewer 8 hour shifts which is tough for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Allow the PT staff at 24/hours per week or so to work 4/6 hour shifts or 3/8 hour shifts rather than 4 and 5 hour shifts. it gets expensive for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Response from Long Term Employee

Current Employee - Membership in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Membership in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's funny to read "Con" company critiques & reviews from employees who have only been employed for a limited period of time.....the key to success with Costco is to "work with purpose", keep the chatter down, don't complain and be thankful for the benefits and pay structure. As the company continues to expand and "crush" the competition (with stock soaring along with profits and revenue), there is significant need for employees with a very positive outlook, gratefulness, compassion for fellow employees and members and an incredibly strong work ethic. Many of these traits have waned over the years with younger employees and those who are new to Costco simply have not experienced "expectations" in the workplace which is why so many "seasonals" find themselves not being called back after January layoffs or re-assigned to the Member Service as a last resort to prove their worth to the organization. With over 20,000 applicants per new warehouse for less than 200 positions, there a many folks who would value a full suite of benefits, reasonable pay, not a real mentally challenging work environment and a pretty good crew to work with. Just start working after you clock-in, and continue at a good pace throughout your shift and keep your idle chatter to yourself.....breaks are mandatory and no one should go without the two 15 minute rest periods, period....call corporate if policies are not being followed.

Cons

Significant growth is a challenge in any organization and many at Costco are on a fast track to the "Peter Principle" however, the alternative of bringing in supervisory/management talent from the "outside" would derail the entire culture plus, there's always a "reason" why someone is out looking for work and most of the time, they were no longer wanted by their previous employer.....very few "outside" hires directly into supervisory or management roles at Costco every work out for a variety of reasons.

Supervisory and management professional development. Eliminate perceived and real "favoritism" at all costs, tie employee development to management bonuses, practices will improve "overnight". Be more like many Fortune 500 companies (Amazon, Pepsi, etc.) and bring management rotation down through the ranks by moving promising candidates around the country, this will will serve to remove the "silos" which have been allowed to develop at the regional level. Seasoned Members who have shopped at multiple locations around the country consistently comment on how different Costco's and employee moral is depending on geographic location.

Great company but be prepared to deal with horrible members

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, hours, 401k and bonuses..can't really complain when you're making $50,000 a year without a college degree..

Cons

The members can be awful and even if they are cussing at you or treating like garbage management will always take their side and even reward their bad behavior with cash cards..

try to understand we don't want unhappy members sometimes they're are upset because we can't fill a control substance early..please look at the big picture instead of having the attitude that a complaint is a complaint..

Front End Assistant Seasonal

Former Employee - Front End Assistant Seasonal in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant Seasonal in Seattle, WA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I guess my glass is over half-full: I really enjoyed learning the ropes and having an opportunity to prove my own worth. Yes it's competitive but welcome to the real world! Smile; pick up the garbage on the floor; say hello to customers - man, they chose what line they want and every customer counts! Get paid going to the gym. Excellent corporate policy, training and documentation/orientation. What is the correct answer to your supervisor asking you if you know how to do a given task? "Not YET!" I was thrilled to make pies during Thanksgiving after wrangling carts all afternoon, go team!

Cons

Since schedules DO change and only posted a week prior it would be mint to see this function automated to employees. Having made a special trip to not have the schedule posted (rare I understand but frustrating gas, time, begging...) this is a small, but important tool, the company could further provide to support their employees - those poor schedulers! My husband was busting my chops to know when I would have 2 days off in a row I learned later when he surprised me with a night at the Fairmont in Maui.

It would support new employees to provide a tri-fold cheat sheet (like the great stretching reference) on how to look up an item and print * signs, how to fold clothes per company policy (amazing how an entire table of pants were folded with the size taped inside the leg), what keys change dispensers, how to preserve produce and revenue on box runs and cart etiquette. Review process was grand!

Great Company!!

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, lots of room for advancement.

Cons

You have to be willing to move to advance quickly.

Train, Teach, Repeat.

great company

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

always loved what i wa doing everyday, and they make that part easy

Cons

gets busy sometimes
    can get exhausting sometimes
    a lot of employees
    busy
    long lines

Wonderful place to work

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Flexible hours, great pay (starting for almost all positions is $11.50 an hour with a raise after 90 days), guaranteed at least 24 if part time and 38 if full time, everyone gets great health insurance if they keep their average hours at the minimum, lots of departments to train and grow in, room to be promoted, easy to switch warehouses if you move

Cons

High expectations, lots of time on your feet, and lots of entitled/rude customers at times. It's pretty difficult to get full time as the spaces are limited. That's really about it!

I wish seniority wasn't the biggest factor in promotions. I had lots of management experience prior to working here but could never get promoted because there was always someone who had been around longer.

great company to work with

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Excellent pay, and a great environment to work in

Cons

There were no cons in this job

part-time worker might need more hours than given

Great culture and opportunities to advance, just don't be afraid to work really hardl

Current Employee - PM Merch in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - PM Merch in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Great people. Great Opportunities to advance. Great company culture. The people make the job what it is. Good training and benefits to boot.

Cons

Sometimes the schedule you are given includes late nights followed by early morning shifts the next day. There is a 90 day probation period that you must complete before being able to apply for other positions at Costco.

Don't be afraid to think outside of the box.

Great staff and overall great experience. Pay is well and hours can range but overall it is pretty great.

Current Employee - Front End Assistant in Paradise Valley, AZ
    Current Employee - Front End Assistant in Paradise Valley, AZ

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay, work environment, benefits, time and a half every sunday, paid vacation, health insurance etc.

Cons

Long shifts, hard floors hurt your back, expected to run a lot, certain cashiers can be snappy.

When they say run, run. be on time always, never a minute late. The machine writes you up not the workers. So if yotu ever clocking 1-3 minutes late you are considered tardy.