Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.9
1,227 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits available for part-time and full-time employees (in 168 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 57 reviews)

• Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Probably the best in retail

Current Employee - Front End (Cashier Assistant)  in  Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Front End (Cashier Assistant) in Henderson, NV

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, pay. If you want to have a career and work for it, Costco can provide it for you. If you do not want to go to College, you can start and be well on your way/making 50k plus a year by the time most graduate college. Good environment, takes great care of employees. Lots of opportunities to transfer and a continuously growing and successful company.

Cons

-Lots of managers, not enough leaders
    -Some managers are out of touch with members and employees
    -Seniority glass ceiling: people are promoted based mostly, but not all, on seniority and not by skill or merit. Not very efficient.
    -(My particular warehouse) constantly concerned with cutting hours yet almost always understaffed
    -Not a great place for someone with higher education. You're pretty much placed with everyone else no matter your prior experience or education, because you're expected to gain seniority.
    -Terrible training program. The best company I've worked for but by far the worst training program, practically non existent. Managers and supervisors have conflicting priorities and it just hurts the employee/member.

There has got to be a better training programs for each position. Corporate needs to establish a consistent, prioritized program that is ORGANIZED to make sure all employees (including sups/managers) are on the same page. There needs to be more synergy, It will make everyone's lives better and make individual warehouses far more effecient.

Provide your supervisors and managers with formal, annual leadership training.

Promote on experience/merit and potential first and then seniority.

Create a program for new hires with college educations (and/or previous experience in management positions) to help them fast track: learn more about how the warehouse works, gain experience in multiple area areas quickly and them move up more quickly (if the shoe fits I'm not implying that just because someone has a bachelor's they automatically deserve to start out as a supervisor or manager). Roughly 3-5 years to barely break into salary because of the seniority glass ceiling is ridiculous. Especially when these people could work for competitors in these positions off the bat. There are people, like myself, who are educated and with prior experience who want to work for this company because we truly love it and believe it's the best. People who can utilize their education and experience to help better this company to grow and be more successful and efficient. These people are the future of your company help them help you. Invest in them and seek them out. If we feel like we are just going to fall to the wayside with every one else we'll take our talents elsewhere because we can achieve more elsewhere in the time it would take to barely move up in Costco.

Great company to work for, but you have to start at the bottom and work your way up

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay, GREAT benefits, have fun working and learning various positions

Cons

You have to start at the bottom and work your way up, it can be a very cutthroat environment, especially if you bring anything of value to the table (like previous experience or a degree). Growth is limited, if you become a manager, expect to hand your schedule over and be prepared to work whenever needed.

Costco is horrible about promoting women, and when they do promote them, they nit pick and find reasons to get rid of them or demote them, or just flat out make it uncomfortable for them. This does not inspire women to want to move up or provide for a good working environment. Promote more women! Give us more warehouse managers like Vicki Hite in the LA region. There are too few women leading the company, and you have NO idea how much harassment is happening, because the fear of retaliation or being labeled by an almost exclusively male upper management is career destroying.

Love working at Costco

Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist  in  Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits, great work environment, great management. They listen to their employees. Updated System. The pay is pretty good. Job security. Open door policy. Health club!! 401K and other great benefits.

Cons

They won't let you work from home. If you work at buying office you jan not hold a part time job.
    Also you get a pay cut if you transfer from supervisor to ICS.

It will be great to be able to work part time or from home at buying office. As an ICS and new mom I wish I could work part time or from home

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good place to start

Former Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Maplewood, MN

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good benefits, good people, time and a half on weekends, free food samples and good opportunity for advancement if you are a good employee.

Cons

standing all day, length of time between raises, salary cap for non- management employees, high pay for retail.

listen to innovative ideas from underlings.

Overall I'm very happy working for this company.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than a year

Pros

The beginning salary is higher than many retail position out there and I love the Sunday pay in which we get paid time and a half. In addition I like how we don't have to stay any later than 8:30pm on weekends and we're closed on major holidays. For someone like me who takes major holidays serious, it's great knowing that I don't have to work on Thanksgiving. On top of having holidays off, Costco is very flexible when it comes to accommodating school schedules for student employees. And if you go to certain trade schools Costco will also help pay your tuition. Furthermore, I'm fortunate to have coworkers that make the work environment fun. Last, it's nice that employees get a free Executive membership after completing their 90-day probation period.

Cons

Supervisors need to get on the same page as one another, as do managers. There have been many times when I have been told to do a task one way just to get lectured by a different manager or supervisor and told to do it a different way. At times dealing with members who are in the wrong gets difficult, especially when management rarely has their employee's back.

Supervisors and managers should be re-trained as to prevent confusing employees when explaining asks are how to deal with different situations.

Excellent company

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Great pay and benefits, promotes from within

Cons

Very physically demanding, long hours

More communication

Great company

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Reno, NV

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun work environment, excellent benefits, above average pay, reasonable working hours

Cons

Long time employees can be lazy, can be stressful at times, management is not very understanding of personal situations, schedule is never consistent, and supervisors play favorites.

Don't play favorites, work hard, appreciate your employees

Great Company, Employee focused

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Altamonte Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Altamonte Springs, FL

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company takes pride in its employees. Pay rates are great and benefits are exceptional.

Cons

Can be very hectic during the holidays.

Good experience, nice people.

Former Employee - Front End
    Former Employee - Front End

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay and benefits are good. Working with people from many different walks of life. Best place to work if you are in the retail business. Off on holidays and no crazy hours throughout the Christmas season.

Cons

Management keeping people on staff that are not dedicated, hard working employees. Hard for some people to handle the environment of there not being consistent discipline from employee to employee.

I know everyone likes to put their two cents worth in perhaps have a place that employees can leave feedback or insight on certain things anonymously.

My wife (Bakery) and I (FE cashier/assistant) both work for Costco...

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant)  in  Kapolei, HI
    Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Kapolei, HI

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than a year

Pros

Starting pay is good and benefits are great. I love that you work to make your own raises as long as you put in the time you'll get raises. Once topped off you make over $40k a year. Plus bonuses twice a year and time and a half every Sundays. Now who wouldn't want to work here. Awesome company

Cons

At times it can get stressful especially the beginning of each month due to EBT (food stamps). Members can be a little rude but you just put on that smile and swear at them in your head...but as for the company no cons

Management is very understanding and tries to help you out with work related and personal issues you may have. Fairness and respect should be a managers number one duty to the members, employees and the company.

Costco Wholesale Photos

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!