Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.9
1,291 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 116 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 186 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 62 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

A great company to work for, they are fair and treat their employees well.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Costco rewards those with a good sense of urgency and the willingness to learn. Its a stable company with great pay and bonus scales.

Cons

Training is more hands on, not a lot of book work. May be difficult who dont learn best on their feet.

Stressful work environment at times, but superior pay and benefits.

Current Employee - Licensed Optician
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is better than any other service job out there, and the benefits are hard to match. This company takes care of their employees.

Cons

Stressful dealing when the stores get busy, and when customers have memberships they tend to be more demanding. Costco doesn't operate like most stores so people get upset when things don't go their way. Normal of any customer service job I suppose, but exaggerated by strict buying policies and procedures. The lenient return policy also means people try to get away with returning very old or broken items.

Changing the upper management at individual locations so frequently prevents any employee from ever being comfortable. I've been through 3 warehouse managers in my time at my store and every new manager feels the need to change policies or make unnecessary changes just for the sake of making changes. Some changes are frustrating and inconsiderate to the longtime employees. You don't need to change the manager every 2 years!

I love this company, will retire here.

Current Employee - Accountant in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, great co-workers and flexible schedule.

Cons

Nepotism prevalent in hiring practice.

Promote from within, train.. train... train.

Amazing!!!! Great place to work!!!!

Current Employee - Membership in Hoover, AL
    Current Employee - Membership in Hoover, AL

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits that we have access to is TOP OF THE LINE. Added with the hourly pay, I don't see myself leaving anytime soon.

Cons

There aren't any cons that I'm aware of. It is plenty of opportunity to move up if you apply yourself.

Keep up the good work.

Costco is fun and team oriented. Amazing supportive management

Current Employee - Membership Clerk in Independence, MO
    Current Employee - Membership Clerk in Independence, MO

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Time & 1/2 on Sundays, paid holidays, full health, dental and optical benefits for part timers. Starting wage far above minimum wage. Wonderful corporate culture. Safe, professional, supportive environment. The bosses and supervisors are all pretty cool and hardworking. There are super opportunities to advance into management as well as tons of opportunities to cross train in different departments.

Cons

Retail, closing shifts. Time away from my kids. Schedule changes with very little notice. Dealing with demanding members. Also, very demanding physical labor.

Treat "underlings" with respect. For the most part, all of my supervisors and managers have been very good.

Excellent company to work for.

Current Employee - Baker in Nanuet, NY
    Current Employee - Baker in Nanuet, NY

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Costco is a great company to work for. their time off policy is absolutely wonderful and has a college student; it is extremely generous because you can decide not to work during school and still have a job to come back too in the summer. The health benefits is wonderful and they promote within first before they go look for outside help, which means you have a great chance of getting a promotion.

Cons

The Supervisors sometimes can act like a jerk like they run the place, which is funny because a good amount of the mangers doesn't act like that especially the warehouse manager. Depending on the department you work in, everything sometimes can seem like a monopoly; like if somebody didn't complete their job from the day before its going to be a rough start for you the next day because you have to pick up from where they left off from.

Be more hands on and listen to the little guys sometimes and watch the supervisors because they try to get away with everything and blame it on the associates, which is horrible. And when the department is backed up, you have to roll up your sleeves and get in there to help out which in turn would make the associates work hard so everything could get on track.

A grest one

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have a very great pay that makes you happy and the benefits are wonderful there.

Cons

I feel like some tomes they are very busy so you have to find a way to cope with shifts.

The only advice I have is for the people in management to look at different people who apply.

Bakery Clerk Job

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great management and great place to work

Cons

Hours may not be what you need when have more responsibilities as an adult, however, as a student it works perfectly

What an incredible experience!

Current Employee - Costco Night Stocker in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Costco Night Stocker in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was great, managers were helpful and constructive, and there was a great teamwork ethic throughout. There was a great atmosphere and it seemed like the company really appreciated its employees, through potlucks and free food often.

Cons

Part-time 5 days a week in the middle of the night, with non-consecutive off days was a bit rough on one's sanity. Seemed like sometimes there wasn't enough staff to get work done.

Keep doin' what you're doin'!

Great benefits, little to no upward mobility

Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Rochester, MN

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, high wages with little education.

Cons

No upward mobility. Favorite contest. Based on time put in not merit.

do not keep managers in manging roles if they clearly cannot handle it.