Costco Wholesale

3.9
1,483 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 135 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 68 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Real Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very affordable high quality health insurance benefits even for PT employees. Great for working parents who split up child care and need coverage. The key to succeeding at Costco is to work hard, have a good attitude and be nice to people. It's hard work and fasted paced, you have to be down for that to succeed.

Cons

At this warehouse you are required to work 5 days per week, even if you are PT at 24 or so hours. This means lots of 4-5 hour shifts rather than fewer 8 hour shifts which is tough for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Allow the PT staff at 24/hours per week or so to work 4/6 hour shifts or 3/8 hour shifts rather than 4 and 5 hour shifts. it gets expensive for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Response from Long Term Employee

Current Employee - Membership in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Membership in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's funny to read "Con" company critiques & reviews from employees who have only been employed for a limited period of time.....the key to success with Costco is to "work with purpose", keep the chatter down, don't complain and be thankful for the benefits and pay structure. As the company continues to expand and "crush" the competition (with stock soaring along with profits and revenue), there is significant need for employees with a very positive outlook, gratefulness, compassion for fellow employees and members and an incredibly strong work ethic. Many of these traits have waned over the years with younger employees and those who are new to Costco simply have not experienced "expectations" in the workplace which is why so many "seasonals" find themselves not being called back after January layoffs or re-assigned to the Member Service as a last resort to prove their worth to the organization. With over 20,000 applicants per new warehouse for less than 200 positions, there a many folks who would value a full suite of benefits, reasonable pay, not a real mentally challenging work environment and a pretty good crew to work with. Just start working after you clock-in, and continue at a good pace throughout your shift and keep your idle chatter to yourself.....breaks are mandatory and no one should go without the two 15 minute rest periods, period....call corporate if policies are not being followed.

Cons

Significant growth is a challenge in any organization and many at Costco are on a fast track to the "Peter Principle" however, the alternative of bringing in supervisory/management talent from the "outside" would derail the entire culture plus, there's always a "reason" why someone is out looking for work and most of the time, they were no longer wanted by their previous employer.....very few "outside" hires directly into supervisory or management roles at Costco every work out for a variety of reasons.

Supervisory and management professional development. Eliminate perceived and real "favoritism" at all costs, tie employee development to management bonuses, practices will improve "overnight". Be more like many Fortune 500 companies (Amazon, Pepsi, etc.) and bring management rotation down through the ranks by moving promising candidates around the country, this will will serve to remove the "silos" which have been allowed to develop at the regional level. Seasoned Members who have shopped at multiple locations around the country consistently comment on how different Costco's and employee moral is depending on geographic location.

Front End Assistant Seasonal

Former Employee - Front End Assistant Seasonal in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant Seasonal in Seattle, WA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I guess my glass is over half-full: I really enjoyed learning the ropes and having an opportunity to prove my own worth. Yes it's competitive but welcome to the real world! Smile; pick up the garbage on the floor; say hello to customers - man, they chose what line they want and every customer counts! Get paid going to the gym. Excellent corporate policy, training and documentation/orientation. What is the correct answer to your supervisor asking you if you know how to do a given task? "Not YET!" I was thrilled to make pies during Thanksgiving after wrangling carts all afternoon, go team!

Cons

Since schedules DO change and only posted a week prior it would be mint to see this function automated to employees. Having made a special trip to not have the schedule posted (rare I understand but frustrating gas, time, begging...) this is a small, but important tool, the company could further provide to support their employees - those poor schedulers! My husband was busting my chops to know when I would have 2 days off in a row I learned later when he surprised me with a night at the Fairmont in Maui.

It would support new employees to provide a tri-fold cheat sheet (like the great stretching reference) on how to look up an item and print * signs, how to fold clothes per company policy (amazing how an entire table of pants were folded with the size taped inside the leg), what keys change dispensers, how to preserve produce and revenue on box runs and cart etiquette. Review process was grand!

Great company but be prepared to deal with horrible members

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, hours, 401k and bonuses..can't really complain when you're making $50,000 a year without a college degree..

Cons

The members can be awful and even if they are cussing at you or treating like garbage management will always take their side and even reward their bad behavior with cash cards..

try to understand we don't want unhappy members sometimes they're are upset because we can't fill a control substance early..please look at the big picture instead of having the attitude that a complaint is a complaint..

Wonderful! Great pay, benefits, and a sense of purpose.

Current Employee - Tire Installer in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Tire Installer in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The starting pay is far above minimum in many states. All employees have access to benefits as well as a 401k plan that matches employee contributions. The management is flexible and focuses on pleasing employees regarding their schedule. I am a full time student and my supervisors have gone above and beyond to give me opportunities with this company, even while I am overwhelmed with school.

Cons

It is stressful and demanding. Though member service is a cornerstone to this company, Costco will often let members walk all over their employees. It pays well because it is a hard days work. If you're not motivated and you have a weak work ethic, you will not make it past the probationary period.

Though Costco treats their employees better than anyone in the industry, I would suggest focusing more on employee recognition. I am personally motivated by appeasing my supervisors, and by knowing that I have done something that the company appreciates. It often seems that management shoves suggestions from employees to the curb. Though the company has a program in place to give employees a voice, it does not seem to be effective on the local level.

Fantastic Company

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid benefits, reasonable job security, and a competitive pay scale have kept me happy in my now nearly three years at Costco. They continually try to hire and promote from within, so it helps to get a foot in the door anywhere you can.

Cons

Time-off requests are pretty strict, and any time off needed has to be requested well in advance. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's something you should consider.

Best Company Core Values

Former Employee - Assistant Warehouse Manager in Signal Hill, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Warehouse Manager in Signal Hill, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They are the quintessential low price leader, no one comes close. Sure maybe on some items hear and there but always an incredible value. Very fast paced environment, strong leadership, great pay, incredible benefits. I spent 20 years in upper management and watched it grow to what it is today. Trust me the company is just as good as it looks. They work in developing a great team my coaching each employee to truly reach their potential. They work with students and their schedules. If you have energy and love people then Costco is the place. There are a lot of Members that walk through the doors each day and they expect nothing but high caliber employees. Which they should.

Cons

Work schedules can be difficult if you have a growing family. Shifts start at 4am and the day ends at 11 pm which is sometimes difficult for some.

Good part time job

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of flexibility in your hours. Scheduling manager was willing to work around my class schedule. Many other employees are also students since I was in a college town. Great rate of pay for the job. Most the the co-workers were easy to work with.

Cons

Management was promoted based off things other than skill. Many promotions were determined by seniority, which unfortunately isn't always the best policy.

There was a lot of employee gossip. Even though people were easy to get along with there was always a different story being passed between departments about someone's personal life (typically regarding an after work encounter with another employee)

Promote people based on merit - not on seniority. Store manager should be aware of what is really happening in the warehouse.

Costco morning stocker

Current Employee - Morning Stocker in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Morning Stocker in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is a great place for students to work

Cons

Management is hired from within not based on best canidates

empower employees to make decisions and do not micromanage

great pay and benefits

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

great pay and benefits. fun people to work with.

Cons

no flexibility with your work schedule. very hard to get time off. everything is based on seniority. if you want time off, want a promotion, or anything, its mostly based on seniority or politics.

get rid of all the lazy people. get rid of everyone who is bad at their job. closely review job performances on SUPERVISORS and MANAGEMENT.