Costco Wholesale Reviews

Reset
3.9
Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • Great pay and benefits sick pay vacation even for part timers (in 135 reviews)

• Great benefits & room for advancement (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting full time is extremely difficult (in 68 reviews)

• Not flexible always extending part time workers (in 56 reviews)

2,000 Employee Reviews

Real Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very affordable high quality health insurance benefits even for PT employees. Great for working parents who split up child care and need coverage. The key to succeeding at Costco is to work hard, have a good attitude and be nice to people. It's hard work and fasted paced, you have to be down for that to succeed.

Cons

At this warehouse you are required to work 5 days per week, even if you are PT at 24 or so hours. This means lots of 4-5 hour shifts rather than fewer 8 hour shifts which is tough for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Advice to Management

Allow the PT staff at 24/hours per week or so to work 4/6 hour shifts or 3/8 hour shifts rather than 4 and 5 hour shifts. it gets expensive for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Response from Long Term Employee

Current Employee - Membership in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Membership in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's funny to read "Con" company critiques & reviews from employees who have only been employed for a limited period of time.....the key to success with Costco is to "work with purpose", keep the chatter down, don't complain and be thankful for the benefits and pay structure. As the company continues to expand and "crush" the competition (with stock soaring along with profits and revenue), there is significant need for employees with a very positive outlook, gratefulness, compassion for fellow employees and members and an incredibly strong work ethic. Many of these traits have waned over the years with younger employees and those who are new to Costco simply have not experienced "expectations" in the workplace which is why so many "seasonals" find themselves not being called back after January layoffs or re-assigned to the Member Service as a last resort to prove their worth to the organization. With over 20,000 applicants per new warehouse for less than 200 positions, there a many folks who would value a full suite of benefits, reasonable pay, not a real mentally challenging work environment and a pretty good crew to work with. Just start working after you clock-in, and continue at a good pace throughout your shift and keep your idle chatter to yourself.....breaks are mandatory and no one should go without the two 15 minute rest periods, period....call corporate if policies are not being followed.

Cons

Significant growth is a challenge in any organization and many at Costco are on a fast track to the "Peter Principle" however, the alternative of bringing in supervisory/management talent from the "outside" would derail the entire culture plus, there's always a "reason" why someone is out looking for work and most of the time, they were no longer wanted by their previous employer.....very few "outside" hires directly into supervisory or management roles at Costco every work out for a variety of reasons.

Advice to Management

Supervisory and management professional development. Eliminate perceived and real "favoritism" at all costs, tie employee development to management bonuses, practices will improve "overnight". Be more like many Fortune 500 companies (Amazon, Pepsi, etc.) and bring management rotation down through the ranks by moving promising candidates around the country, this will will serve to remove the "silos" which have been allowed to develop at the regional level. Seasoned Members who have shopped at multiple locations around the country consistently comment on how different Costco's and employee moral is depending on geographic location.

Major Sales

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, fun atmosphere to work in.

Cons

A lot of the promotions lately have been bad. Basing them strictly on seniority and not talent.

Awesome Place to work

Pros

Best co workers you can ask for, flexible hours, and you get a pay raise every year working there!

Cons

Are there any? This place is a great place to start when you have little to no education!

Advice to Management

None, keeping doing a great job

Perfect for college student

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time

Pros

They will work around a college school schedule. They are also very kind and generous to the employees.

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say about it. Only thing is in south sac, some rude members sometimes.

Advice to Management

they are doing a great job. the bbqs and the fruit in the mornings is awesome for us and we appreciate them.

Baker

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Salt Lake, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Salt Lake, UT

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health Insurance, Great pay for unskilled workers, 401K, paid vacation and personal time, it's pretty easy to transfer to other locations.

Cons

(My experience is from working at several Utah stores), Much harder for women to move up, very hard to get time off approved, kiss your nights and weekends goodbye unless you have at least 15 years under your belt, no time off allowed around holidays, would not work with my school schedule because my degree was not related or beneficial to my duties at Costco.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of women, work with school schedules regardless (happy employees are harder workers), create a more concise procedure for obtaining time off, hire more employees so that you can afford to give people time off.

Meat Wrapper

Former Employee - Meat Wrapper in Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Meat Wrapper in Coralville, IA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee feeds Fair work/life balance Great benefits Great coworkers Great starting pay Well-ran organization

Cons

I honestly have nothing bad to say about the company because they treated me well. I may not have had the best boss in the world but he recognized my hard work ethic and rewarded that by giving me more hours. He was a tough boss (needless to say) but he was very approachable if you needed to talk. Just realize not everyone is perfect and you need to accept people for their flaws. It all comes down to the golden rule most people were taught as children. "Treat others as you would like to be treated." If you are AFRAID of hard work, then DO NOT apply here because you earn your money. Also keep in mind that no matter where you go, there will be things you do NOT like. Do not let that stop you from achieving your dreams. You got this, now go get it! :)

Advice to Management

Implement a better structure for solving department problems. For example, if my boss told me to do something and I refused to move forward in action instead of completing his request. I should resolve the issue with him, I should not go above him to get a decision overturned because his decisions should have validity. By overturning his decision, that makes him powerless. So definitely restructure your complaint process. Implement a NO GOSSIP policy too. It's as simple as saying "At this warehouse, we do not allow gossip. If we have to warn you more than once, then you're gone/" Last but not least, thank you for treating me well. :)

9. Former College Retention Employee

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Nesconset, NY
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Nesconset, NY

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The high retention rate of employees results in a close knit group of co-workers who care about doing their job well. College retention program is a home-run for college students.

Cons

Since the employee retention rate is so high, new hires get stuck with less desired shifts for longer than usual.

Advice to Management

From my experience you guys do a great job at making your employees feel appreciated, which makes them motivated to work hard.

Amazing place to work, great benefits and requires no degree!

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time

Pros

Maybe it's because I have senority... But it is easy for me to request days off. The pay starts at 11:50 here. The pay increase is very very reasonable. I think it raises by .25 cents, then your next raise is at .50 cents, then every raise after that is a full dollar raise. I think it caps at 20 dollars an hour, but you could easily max out in 4 years. Your pay raise is based on how many hours you work. So you get a pay raise every 400 hours? The benefits is amazing, 401k, PTO, Vacation, and insurance, you even get a free glasses or contacts every year.

Cons

Most people who start will start as a front end assistant, which include pushing carts. But work hard, and prove that you are more capable than that, and you can then enjoy the indoor jobs.

11. Amazing! I loved working for this company! Excellent benefits and fantastic management.

Former Employee - Workforce Management Supervisor in Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Workforce Management Supervisor in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management was very fair and willing to openly communicate. Very helpful people.

Cons

The hours weren't the best but it wasn't the end of the world either. I honestly can't think of any cons. Some policies I did not agree with, but management is flexible and genuinely wanted the feedback in order to continuously improve.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Showing 2,000 of 2,041 reviews