Costco Wholesale

3.9
1,350 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 135 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 68 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Real Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very affordable high quality health insurance benefits even for PT employees. Great for working parents who split up child care and need coverage. The key to succeeding at Costco is to work hard, have a good attitude and be nice to people. It's hard work and fasted paced, you have to be down for that to succeed.

Cons

At this warehouse you are required to work 5 days per week, even if you are PT at 24 or so hours. This means lots of 4-5 hour shifts rather than fewer 8 hour shifts which is tough for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Allow the PT staff at 24/hours per week or so to work 4/6 hour shifts or 3/8 hour shifts rather than 4 and 5 hour shifts. it gets expensive for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

A great company to work for, they are fair and treat their employees well.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Costco rewards those with a good sense of urgency and the willingness to learn. Its a stable company with great pay and bonus scales.

Cons

Training is more hands on, not a lot of book work. May be difficult who dont learn best on their feet.

It's the best company to work for! Period.

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) and Part Time Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The managers are amazing and work with you. They understand you have a life outside of work and treat you like a human being. I love all of my mangagers and co workers and I couldn't imagine working any where else.

Cons

There is nothing bad about working for costco.

Nothing. You guys rock and I am honored to work for such amazing people!

Costco Offers great Benefits

Current Employee - Member Service
    Current Employee - Member Service

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Benefits
    -Flexible schedules for those who are in school
    -potential to move up within the company

Cons

-Poor Management
    -Retail hours
    -there are different standards placed on different individuals meaning some are held to a higher standard are left doing more work than those held to a lower standard.

Great part-time job.

Current Employee - Front End/Cart Crew in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Front End/Cart Crew in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Lots of opportunities for overtime or extra hours. You work in many areas of the stores, never doing the same thing, which is good because sometimes work can be repetitive.
    I feel like i get paid to work out lol. i push carts outside which is my preference anyways.

Cons

Some managers and supervisors play favoritism.
    The front end can be very chaotic.

Great company!

Current Employee - Food Court
    Current Employee - Food Court

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Starting pay is high, great benefits, free turkey at thanksgiving, raises

Cons

They expect maximum effort at all times. Not a company for lazy people

Food court needs more staffing! It's very easy to get behind. Just maybe one extra person for a mid shift so we can get caught up

Great Pay! Better Benefits

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Shelby Township, MI
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Shelby Township, MI

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is above national average for retail certified pharmacy technicians. Health, dental and 401k are best in retail industry. Flexible schedule for part timers. Ability to top out and receive semiannual bonuses quicker when a fulltime employee.

Cons

Little control with schedule as a full time employee. No PTO allowed from November 1st until the end of the holidays.

Promoting from can be a sound business practice but afford the opportunities to let employees demonstrate their potential as well. Too few promotions happen because of work ethic and are more based on what family member is already in a management position.

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Costco is a good place to work. You gotta work hard to proof yourself but it's worth it in the end. The pay is good, especially if you work on Sundays. If you have not take any sick days during the year, they pay the sick hours at anniversary time. Members are very pleasant for the most part, and the employees are quite friendly and helpful. Company offers bonuses twice a year, but you have to complete a certain amount of hours to qualify.

Cons

The old timers seem to take their time doing what they need to do. It's retail, which means there are not many weekends off. It's hard to take time off during the holidays. Inventory time can be a little tough on the scheduling. Personal growth is there once you proof yourself; however it seems that a lot of people move up quickly and easily by becoming part of the management click. There could be back stabbing if you're not careful.

A little pushy and at time does not understand its employees. Remember, we're all human beings and have feelings. Remember, not everything at Costco requires a write-up or counseling notice.

Great with college students!

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Fargo, ND

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. The ability to work limited part time if you are a college student, even take a leave of absence and come back and have your same job when it comes to school related things as a college student.

Cons

Management is a very close knit group. Sometimes they don't understand there needs to be a balance between work and personal life.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Major Sales Associate in Bedford Park, IL
    Current Employee - Major Sales Associate in Bedford Park, IL

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong team player mentality, Management is firm yet flexible. Employees are well informed.

Cons

In many instances, ineffective comminications. Some need to place the right candidates in the right positions.