Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.9
1,238 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits available for part-time and full-time employees (in 168 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 57 reviews)

• Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Probably the best in retail

Current Employee - Front End (Cashier Assistant)  in  Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Front End (Cashier Assistant) in Henderson, NV

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, pay. If you want to have a career and work for it, Costco can provide it for you. If you do not want to go to College, you can start and be well on your way/making 50k plus a year by the time most graduate college. Good environment, takes great care of employees. Lots of opportunities to transfer and a continuously growing and successful company.

Cons

-Lots of managers, not enough leaders
    -Some managers are out of touch with members and employees
    -Seniority glass ceiling: people are promoted based mostly, but not all, on seniority and not by skill or merit. Not very efficient.
    -(My particular warehouse) constantly concerned with cutting hours yet almost always understaffed
    -Not a great place for someone with higher education. You're pretty much placed with everyone else no matter your prior experience or education, because you're expected to gain seniority.
    -Terrible training program. The best company I've worked for but by far the worst training program, practically non existent. Managers and supervisors have conflicting priorities and it just hurts the employee/member.

There has got to be a better training programs for each position. Corporate needs to establish a consistent, prioritized program that is ORGANIZED to make sure all employees (including sups/managers) are on the same page. There needs to be more synergy, It will make everyone's lives better and make individual warehouses far more effecient.

Provide your supervisors and managers with formal, annual leadership training.

Promote on experience/merit and potential first and then seniority.

Create a program for new hires with college educations (and/or previous experience in management positions) to help them fast track: learn more about how the warehouse works, gain experience in multiple area areas quickly and them move up more quickly (if the shoe fits I'm not implying that just because someone has a bachelor's they automatically deserve to start out as a supervisor or manager). Roughly 3-5 years to barely break into salary because of the seniority glass ceiling is ridiculous. Especially when these people could work for competitors in these positions off the bat. There are people, like myself, who are educated and with prior experience who want to work for this company because we truly love it and believe it's the best. People who can utilize their education and experience to help better this company to grow and be more successful and efficient. These people are the future of your company help them help you. Invest in them and seek them out. If we feel like we are just going to fall to the wayside with every one else we'll take our talents elsewhere because we can achieve more elsewhere in the time it would take to barely move up in Costco.

Great company to work for, but you have to start at the bottom and work your way up

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Issaquah, WA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Issaquah, WA

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay, GREAT benefits, have fun working and learning various positions

Cons

You have to start at the bottom and work your way up, it can be a very cutthroat environment, especially if you bring anything of value to the table (like previous experience or a degree). Growth is limited, if you become a manager, expect to hand your schedule over and be prepared to work whenever needed.

Costco is horrible about promoting women, and when they do promote them, they nit pick and find reasons to get rid of them or demote them, or just flat out make it uncomfortable for them. This does not inspire women to want to move up or provide for a good working environment. Promote more women! Give us more warehouse managers like Vicki Hite in the LA region. There are too few women leading the company, and you have NO idea how much harassment is happening, because the fear of retaliation or being labeled by an almost exclusively male upper management is career destroying.

Great company to work for clean, bright and friendly.

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Costco Management takes time to get to know their people and work with them where they are at in their career. Promotions are done from within.

Cons

New people who don't have the core values that keep the company on top.

Maintaining the culture in such a fast growing company is very important.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best company to work for

Current Employee - Food Court
    Current Employee - Food Court

I have been working at Costco Wholesale for less than a year

Pros

Benifits are great pay is great they really take care of there people no other retailer like costco they standout compared to every retailer in the world if you work hard and want to earn a great wage and be happy costco is for you.

Cons

No cons but there are some enployees with huge egos

Keep up the great never stop what your doing!

Business data analyst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than a year

Pros

GREAT people, ethics and culture.
    A great example for a company that cares about work life balance.
    Very casual environment.
    Brand name: when I tell ANYONE I work for Costco, I get to hear about how much everyone loves Costco and it's a very proud feeling.
    They pay pretty decent too.

Cons

Old school but they are trying to modernize.
    Undergoing a lot of transformation.

Great people, great pay

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant)  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Columbus, OH

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are friendly and the work is not bad considering you start at 11.50 and hour and can be promoted up to 18 by simply putting in the time.
    Great for a first job, they are very willing to work with you on your different scheduling needs.

Cons

Customers can be rude and demanding, but only on rare occasions.

Keep focusing on building relationships with employees.

Overall decent job.

Former Employee - Membership  in  Goleta, CA
    Former Employee - Membership in Goleta, CA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

High energy, generally high company morale, overall pretty relaxed work atmosphere. If you work hard you will be rewarded as long as you make it known that you are a good employee.

Cons

Extremely busy and pretty tiring work most of the time. Dealing with members can get frustrating. Can be hard to get time off, especially around the holidays.

New store manager brought in a lot of new ideas and policies - some of which were not good. There is a more positive vibe but there is also a lot of warehouse politics going on.

Terrific

Current Employee - Major Sales Associate  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Major Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Insurance. I work part time and receive incredible benefits that I need for my disabled wife.

Cons

Long time poor workers are not addressed even though they effect those of us who work hard

Keep the great insurance. Number one, keep the great insurance. That's how you attract and keep great employees. Set standards for sups pulling workers to help the front end and then getting them assistants and getting them back to their departments

An excellent company, with honest values and outstanding culture of doing the right thing.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Open door policy to management. Costco truly values employees, customers, and suppliers. It's not a mission statement on a plaque, but rather a mission lived daily by every role in this organization.

Cons

Within IT there's a lot of changing direction and unclear vision. Management at all levels is commonly too widely spread, undercutting their effectiveness, ability to support their teams, and ability to give insight into what vision does exist.

Within IT, we need clarified, simplified vision. Consider adding more IT management, rather than adding more onto capable managers rendering them less effective because they're thinly spread.

Good company, not a lot of career opportunities.

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people. Willing to always help each other.

Cons

Benefits are good for full time employees. Personal growth or advancement were not really present.

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!