Costco Wholesale Reviews

Reset
4.0
Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • Great pay and benefits sick pay vacation even for part timers (in 135 reviews)

• Great benefits & room for advancement (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting full time is extremely difficult (in 68 reviews)

• Not flexible always extending part time workers (in 56 reviews)

Real Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very affordable high quality health insurance benefits even for PT employees. Great for working parents who split up child care and need coverage. The key to succeeding at Costco is to work hard, have a good attitude and be nice to people. It's hard work and fasted paced, you have to be down for that to succeed.

Cons

At this warehouse you are required to work 5 days per week, even if you are PT at 24 or so hours. This means lots of 4-5 hour shifts rather than fewer 8 hour shifts which is tough for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Advice to Management

Allow the PT staff at 24/hours per week or so to work 4/6 hour shifts or 3/8 hour shifts rather than 4 and 5 hour shifts. it gets expensive for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Major Sales

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, fun atmosphere to work in.

Cons

A lot of the promotions lately have been bad. Basing them strictly on seniority and not talent.

Current Employee

Pros

Great Benefits, more then competitive wages. Management and co-workers can make retail not be as bad. Lots of time off.

Cons

Retail hours (although they're the best hours in the business), too many decisions based off seniority and not work ethic.

Advice to Management

Just because an employee has been there long doesn't mean they're a good employee. Too focused on keeping wasteful employees, and not developing the good ones.

Perfect for college student

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time

Pros

They will work around a college school schedule. They are also very kind and generous to the employees.

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say about it. Only thing is in south sac, some rude members sometimes.

Advice to Management

they are doing a great job. the bbqs and the fruit in the mornings is awesome for us and we appreciate them.

6. Super easy gets paid well for doing a monkey's job

Current Employee - Photo Lab Technician in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Photo Lab Technician in Chula Vista, CA

Pros

Get paid well for bagging groceries. I work part time and I can clear 50,000 Eazy

Cons

Dealing with the public. But that's pretty much what I signed up for

Advice to Management

Letting 18 year olds be supervisors, for a billion dollar company. Not the best idea

7. Costco Night Merch/Stocker

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a fairly easy job, especially through out the week. Lots of opportunity to cross-train. Managers/supervisors get shuffled around quite often, so if you don't like somebody they won't be your manager forever. Fast paced once store closes

Cons

Pulling boxes and keeping the store clean is very boring when its a slow day. Bad training, they mostly just throw you in after one day of following someone around and expect you to go fast with no real training.

Baker

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Salt Lake, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Salt Lake, UT

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health Insurance, Great pay for unskilled workers, 401K, paid vacation and personal time, it's pretty easy to transfer to other locations.

Cons

(My experience is from working at several Utah stores), Much harder for women to move up, very hard to get time off approved, kiss your nights and weekends goodbye unless you have at least 15 years under your belt, no time off allowed around holidays, would not work with my school schedule because my degree was not related or beneficial to my duties at Costco.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of women, work with school schedules regardless (happy employees are harder workers), create a more concise procedure for obtaining time off, hire more employees so that you can afford to give people time off.

Meat Wrapper

Former Employee - Meat Wrapper in Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Meat Wrapper in Coralville, IA

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee feeds Fair work/life balance Great benefits Great coworkers Great starting pay Well-ran organization

Cons

I honestly have nothing bad to say about the company because they treated me well. I may not have had the best boss in the world but he recognized my hard work ethic and rewarded that by giving me more hours. He was a tough boss (needless to say) but he was very approachable if you needed to talk. Just realize not everyone is perfect and you need to accept people for their flaws. It all comes down to the golden rule most people were taught as children. "Treat others as you would like to be treated." If you are AFRAID of hard work, then DO NOT apply here because you earn your money. Also keep in mind that no matter where you go, there will be things you do NOT like. Do not let that stop you from achieving your dreams. You got this, now go get it! :)

Advice to Management

Implement a better structure for solving department problems. For example, if my boss told me to do something and I refused to move forward in action instead of completing his request. I should resolve the issue with him, I should not go above him to get a decision overturned because his decisions should have validity. By overturning his decision, that makes him powerless. So definitely restructure your complaint process. Implement a NO GOSSIP policy too. It's as simple as saying "At this warehouse, we do not allow gossip. If we have to warn you more than once, then you're gone/" Last but not least, thank you for treating me well. :)

Costco Life

Current Employee - Membership Manager in Gardena, CA
    Current Employee - Membership Manager in Gardena, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Costco is indeed a great company with a great history: -Great benefits (Medical, Vision, Dental) -Great wages for hourly employees (Starting pay at $11.50) -Major holidays off with pay -Vacation/sick time -Free membership

Cons

But indeed even great companies have their flaws: -Management wages don't reflect work expected (work 11+ hrs, oversee multiple depts. simultaneously, produce greater results with significantly less) -Upper Management not always respectful of management team (Verbal abuse, threats) -Too much favoritism & politics involved -For Managers vacation days earn rarely benefit when request are rarely approved.

Advice to Management

If all Costco were managed with the same mentality I don't think there would be much of Cons to discuss, but some Warehouse Managers have gone to think they've become above us all & have gone away from the Costco Culture. When employee moral is mentioned include your Managers & take care of those that do your dirty work for you. Costco has a small turn over percentage not only because the pay is decent, but also because some employees get trap in a mentality that there is nothing better out there. Your Managers are not slaves, they need a life out side of Costco.

Part-Timer? Impossible to have another job

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-Workers and Supervisors are pretty nice to work with, Great benefits. Promotes from within. Company has really good values.

Cons

Schedule gets made a week ahead, so it's impossible to schedule for another job if you are part time. Some employees that have been there a while are so lazy because they "topped out" on pay and basically can't get fired. Lots of hard manual labor but that is expected. A lot of seniority so you have to work extremely hard to pass that and get noticed for promotions.

Advice to Management

Make the schedules earlier, not sure if it is just my location though.

Showing 727 of 2,049 reviews