Costco Wholesale

Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.8

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits available for part-time and full-time employees (in 168 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 57 reviews)

• Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

College job

Former Employee - Food Court  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Food Court in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Paid well for being a food service job. It starts at 11 dollars an hour, plus pay increases. Strong management and you can tell that corporate management is incredibly involved. They do a great job creating the supply chains and making things efficient. I respect Costco more than most companies.

Cons

They give promotions based on seniority often. Rarely merit. Also it's really hard to get fired. This was nice in some ways, but I was working with some poor employees that didn't care who were getting paid a lot more than me because they'd been there so long. I didn't like that. I understand the cost of retraining employees is huge, but the cost of employing someone at 18 dollars an hour who isn't worth 10 is huge as well.

If I were in management and someone isn't doing satisfactory work, I'd talk to them. They persist in their lack of quality, I'd write them up. They persist further I'd work with them to try and help them become better employees. If they persist further I'd write them up again. If it's literally impossible for them to improve I'd fire them, not because it's nice to them but because I'd be looking out for my stores revenues. Every customer is an opportunity to gain 3 more customers or lose 3.

Lots of hours, hard work, pay raises, benefits.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Lots of hours, hard work, pay raises, benefits.

Cons

advancements hard to come by, lots of lay offs.

Recognize hard workers

Great place to work

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Great management, great opportunities to move up the corporate ladder, friendly staff and exciting work that changes every day. Also, they have locations all over the country and is is possible to change work locations.

Cons

Although there are not many downsides to working at Costco, I think one negative aspect could be standing on your feet all day on hard concrete.

Management in every company of the world can always try to work harder to accomodate people with children and foster a family-friendly environment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits and opportunity for transfer if open...

Former Employee - Hearing Aid Dispenser  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Hearing Aid Dispenser in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Benefits are the prime reason someone should work at Costco. The retail atmosphere is no different than one place or the other. Very structured company that is member oriented, which is good since they know where their money comes from.
    Excellent pay for most jobs in the company, benefits are at a greatly reduced cost. $41,000 a year for a tenured cashier...not bad at all...Hearing Aid Dispenser on the other hand, $48-60K a year...not so good.

Cons

If you don't have a customer service bone in your body...avoid this place. If you cannot get to work on time or if you can't LEAVE on time...DO NOT WORK HERE! You will get written up or even fired if you cannot work your schedule down to the minute...LITERALLY! I was given a "coaching note" the first time I was three minutes late leaving because a customer held me up. This is not a place for someone who likes to stand around and talk on the clock...you could be easily fired... No play...All work...If this is your work ethic, you will love Costco.

Pay your ancillary departments competitive wages and you won't lose so many...

Costco is a very good place to work.

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant)  in  Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Thornton, CO

Pros

Fast pace, fun, great benefits, great pay, family like atmosphere

Cons

Very large merchandise, constant heavy lifting at a very fast pace

Be open to hearing ideas from staff. We all have valuable info to share to improve Costco

My 17 plus years at Costco have been the most rewarding of my career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA

Pros

Costco promotes from within, so career growth opportunities are available for those that work hard and apply themselves.

Cons

No time off in your first year of employment makes it tough for many.

Ask for managers, get four different answers.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lantana, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lantana, FL

Pros

Good starting salary for part time work. Easy to schedule around your full time job, if you have one in the Obama area.

Cons

Managerial incompetence abound. Too many supervisors and not enough knowledge to go around. Seems they are stuck on auto pilot since raises are given based on time worked not quality work.

Know more about the company. If you are asked a question you darn well better know the answer especially when it comes to policies and procedures.

Good company to work for, good benefits.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Cross-trained to work in several departments. Most co-workers were friendly. Enjoyed helping members find items in warehouse.

Cons

Had to work most weekends. Sometimes they changed my schedule few days before week started.

Employee of Month should go to those who work hard, not to those who suck up to managers.

It's a very fast paced company culture and very repetitive.

Former Employee - Hardsides Morning Stocker Associate  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Hardsides Morning Stocker Associate in San Diego, CA

Pros

Starting off compensation and health insurance benefits are great. Great products. Great for college students.

Cons

Micromanagement, low moral, favoritism, no work life balance, burnout, gossip, boring, repetitive, disorganized, poor equipment, no diversity, hypocrites, weak culture.

Lose the EGO, listen more, read management books, be flexible, manage yourself first, be sincere, delegate workload better, be approachable.

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!