Costco Wholesale

3.9
1,347 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 116 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 189 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 65 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Costco is a good place to work. You gotta work hard to proof yourself but it's worth it in the end. The pay is good, especially if you work on Sundays. If you have not take any sick days during the year, they pay the sick hours at anniversary time. Members are very pleasant for the most part, and the employees are quite friendly and helpful. Company offers bonuses twice a year, but you have to complete a certain amount of hours to qualify.

Cons

The old timers seem to take their time doing what they need to do. It's retail, which means there are not many weekends off. It's hard to take time off during the holidays. Inventory time can be a little tough on the scheduling. Personal growth is there once you proof yourself; however it seems that a lot of people move up quickly and easily by becoming part of the management click. There could be back stabbing if you're not careful.

A little pushy and at time does not understand its employees. Remember, we're all human beings and have feelings. Remember, not everything at Costco requires a write-up or counseling notice.

Great Pay! Better Benefits

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Shelby Township, MI
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Shelby Township, MI

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is above national average for retail certified pharmacy technicians. Health, dental and 401k are best in retail industry. Flexible schedule for part timers. Ability to top out and receive semiannual bonuses quicker when a fulltime employee.

Cons

Little control with schedule as a full time employee. No PTO allowed from November 1st until the end of the holidays.

Promoting from can be a sound business practice but afford the opportunities to let employees demonstrate their potential as well. Too few promotions happen because of work ethic and are more based on what family member is already in a management position.

A great place to work

I have been working at Costco Wholesale as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

This place has great coworkers and I've made a lot of friends in a short time here. The work is fast and constant so you're never left bored out of you mind waiting for something to happen. The employees have a variety of backgrounds from music industry, cell phone sales, history museums, movie theater employees, paralegals, homeland security, just to name a few, yet all seem to meet together as equals and work well as a team. It's a great environment.

Cons

I've had trouble decoding the official dress code. The employee handbook is extremely vague about what is permitted, and I have learned that essentially, dress code is whatever the store management decides and can vary drastically from store to store. Professionalism is an opinion and not everyone shares the same opinion when it comes to what looks "professional" in a warehouse setting. Ask questions. Lots of questions.

Sky is the limit

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Salary, benefits, Heath ins, growth is beyond imagination

Cons

Won't have weekends off unless you've been there for a long time

Great company if you like retail. Pay and benefits are top notch for this industry.

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Costco is a great company with great pay and benefits. They almost never lay anyone off and job security is very high. If you work hard you'll eventually make it to manager-level which makes 62K-100+.

Cons

There is lots of nepotism and promoting based on who people like more, instead of who is most qualified or would do the best job.

Great part-time job.

Current Employee - Front End/Cart Crew in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Front End/Cart Crew in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Lots of opportunities for overtime or extra hours. You work in many areas of the stores, never doing the same thing, which is good because sometimes work can be repetitive.
    I feel like i get paid to work out lol. i push carts outside which is my preference anyways.

Cons

Some managers and supervisors play favoritism.
    The front end can be very chaotic.

Interviewed but never heard back

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time

Pros

Great company to work for according to its employees. Some have even left amazing career to work at Costco.

Cons

Everyone wants to work for Costco and very few employees leave so it makes it difficult to get on. Never heard back about my interview even though I was assured I would be notified.

Please let people know they will not be hired.

Great with college students!

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Fargo, ND

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. The ability to work limited part time if you are a college student, even take a leave of absence and come back and have your same job when it comes to school related things as a college student.

Cons

Management is a very close knit group. Sometimes they don't understand there needs to be a balance between work and personal life.

Horrible management

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Nothing. They all suck there.

Cons

Everything. Management is terrible there.

Get new management

Seasonal Employee

Current Employee - Front End Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Front End Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced work environment with excellent pay/benefits. I worked here for a couple seasons (as a seasonal) and almost always had fun. Multitasking is the name of the game.

Cons

Can get political, the pay is so delicious that some managers will guard jealously (by selecting staff that seem to pose no long term threat to them). Most managers and staff (at my location) were awesome.

None.